the "i'm proud of this picture i took" thread

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Ice Cold, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadScot

TheMadScot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GTS 640Mb
  2. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Great work! I just checked out your homepage, are you a professional photographer? Keep up the good work!

3. TheMadScot

TheMadScot Active Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GTS 640Mb
    Yep, photography is what I do for a living.

It has it's hight points (shooting the Edinburgh Film Festival and concerts like Black Eyed Peas) and some low points (photographing a waste landfill site for a company website) but overall it's good to be my own boss :D

[​IMG]

4. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Wow, so your a celebrity? Just kidding, but that is pretty cool you must do very good work to get decent jobs like that, great work!

Hey Bromo,
    In the picture you posted of the ocean waves, is there something going on with the exposure or is that just the way the shot came out? The water looks really cool, almost like fog or something. Great work, the detail is something else! Now for someone who knows nothing about photography, is that picture crystal clean like that because of the amazing photographer or because you have a kickass camera, lol?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006

5. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    Um, Should I be concerned that the US military has to use Google Maps? Other than that slightly unsettling observation, very nice pics.

To Roger_D25 - The blurred waves are a result of a slow shutter speed combined with using a tripod. Everything that is still (the rocks and beach) stay sharp, while the water is blurred by it's motion. It is a combination of skill and equipment that gets good pictures. THat's not to say that if you have an absolutely garbage camera you can't get some good pics, it's just that having decent gear REALLY makes the process easier.

6. Bromo

Bromo New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX 256mb
    Hiya
    The exposure was for 2 seconds at f22. Yeh i really like the way the water turned out. Oh and its more likely the fact that the camera (olympus e1) is much better than the one behind pushin the buttons lol

*Edit*
    Shrapnel22 has basically hit the nail on the head. A tripod is required for any shot below 1/50th of a second (assuming you have reasonably steady hands and are not zooming in), but often a longer exposure can give some great effects. I recently tried a 7 minute exposure of the stars at night out in the country. Whilst being my first attempt at shootin the stars I was quite impressed at the way the star streaks turn out (re below). The stars due south appeared as dots while they appeared as streaks the further away from south the stars were. Kinda interesting stuff...
    But the general idea is, especially if you have a digital camera (cause its much cheaper!), is simply to experiment and have fun doing it. Thats what its all about. :)

[​IMG]

7. Spin_Cykle

Spin_Cykle Member Guru

GPU:
    (R.I.P) XFX 7900GTX Ext.
    Those pics were taken a few days after N.O was destroyed. Any type of NOAA chart would have been obsolete due to the damage and destruction to the inlying costal areas. Google was providing real time images of google earth i believe. I'm not 100% sure but i think google earth uses military satalites to pull its images of the earth. I will contact my friend to find out what the map was used for exactly. These are just guesses though as to why the chart is there.

8. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    I finally got a decent film scanner (Nikon Coolscan V), so I'm in the process of scanning my slides - here are a couple of my favourites so far.

[​IMG]

A hyena pup - South Luangwa National Park, Zambia - Canon Eos 3, 100-400L IS, Velvia 100

[​IMG]

Snow on tree, Mt. Washington, BC, Canada - Canon Eos 3, 17-40L, Velvia 100

9. Bromo

Bromo New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX 256mb
    Very nice shrapnel!

10. Spin_Cykle

Spin_Cykle Member Guru

GPU:
    (R.I.P) XFX 7900GTX Ext.
    Chineese built Norinco MAK-90 (AK-47). 7.62x39.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DrSiN

DrSiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Are you allowed to own assualt rifles in the US? Thats just ridiculous to be honest :p (unless its a replica)

Are those before and after shots of a refurb?

12. Spin_Cykle

Spin_Cykle Member Guru

GPU:
    (R.I.P) XFX 7900GTX Ext.
    You are allowed to own assualt riffles in the U.S. (class II)/(semi-auto), pending law enforcement back ground checks. Basicly a felon can't legally purchase a firearm. Class III and full auto can only be obtained with a liscence or military/law enforcement background. The Ak is very real and has never let me down. Not sure what you mean by refurb. The top photo is what it looked like originally out of the box and the bottom photo's are what it looks like now after i changed the stocks and added a diff. reciever plate with a sope mount on it.

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I just did the same thing with my Chinese made SKS rifle, same stock & scope except mine is made specifically for SKS of course. Nice Job. :)

Nothing personal, I find it ridiculous your not allowed to own guns. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  14. dan-lemm2001

dan-lemm2001 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI AIW 9800 Pro/128MB -VS 18" CRT
    This picture was taken while in Argentina
    [​IMG]

15. Dup

Dup Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    Commencing Thread Take Over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dup

Dup Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
  17. Dup

Dup Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
  18. zweef_jr

zweef_jr Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX480
    that are some damn nice photo's:cheers:

i can see that you have tellant, keep it up.

19. Spin_Cykle

Spin_Cykle Member Guru

GPU:
    (R.I.P) XFX 7900GTX Ext.
    great pics.... what camera did those come off of?

20. Dup

Dup Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB SC
    Thanks guys.

They came off my Olympus E-10. Quite dated now, one of the first Digital SLR's. I fanct myself a new cam, one that can change lens etc. But cameras, cars and computers are all expensive hobbies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.