The Hubble Telescope...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Vicious-Deeds, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Vicious-Deeds

Vicious-Deeds Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970 3gb
    Ok, I've had this thought for a while and maybe it is a stupid question but I'd like to know the answer anyways...
    Why don't they aim that Hubble Telescope at Mars and zoom the hell out of it, get some very high resolution and quality pictures?
    Same applies to the Moon...

Instead we have these small resolution images taken from Earth...Are they trying to hide something?

Thanks for any constructive and thoughtful post.

Cheers!

2. zigihammer

zigihammer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  3. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    There have been high-res pictures of the entire surface of Mars taken by orbiting probes for ages now in addition to on-site pictures taken by Mars-rover vehicles. All of these are incomparably better than anything even the Hubble telescope could ever produce simply because they were taken from close proximity. I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen these as they've been around for a while now.

"Mars is currently host to three functional orbiting spacecraft: Mars Odyssey, Mars Express, and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. This is more than any planet in the Solar System except Earth. The surface is also home to the two Mars Exploration Rovers (Spirit and Opportunity)."

BTW, this is what Mars looks like through the Hubble telescope:

[​IMG]

And this is a much much diminished photo (composite) taken by the spacecraft orbiting Mars:

[​IMG]

4. Vicious-Deeds

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970 3gb
    Ahh, I see now...I've seen those pictures before however it was rather illogical to me that the Hubble telescope can zoom out in space so far and get pictures of the whole galaxy in high resolution/quality but not be able to do such for Mars or even closer Moon.
    Even those pictures are rather pathetic when you consider how far the Hubble telescope can zoom in.
    For example, look at this high quality picture taken of Nebula so much further away and then compare it to the picture of Mars that is next to our planet, or Moon that is orbiting our planet.
    I have .jpg picture of over 30 megabites in size of only a small portion in universe and if you zoom in all the way in it you can still clearly see stars and galaxy's in it.
    Look @ this high detailed image of Saturn's moon and then compare it to our pathetic image of our own Moon...
    [​IMG]
    Or this for example:
    [​IMG]

5. morfeus02

morfeus02 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5
  6. zigihammer

zigihammer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060
    Search youtube for more movies;]

7. morfeus02

morfeus02 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    done :D

now i want an official announcement of the white house saying that they know the existence of extraterrestrial lifeforms xD

8. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Keep in mind Hubble is meant to look at stars (celestial bodies that actually emit light), whereas a planet is "slightly" different.

9. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    The nebula pictures are taken with all sorts of cameras, scanning more than just visible lights. The nebulae colors are generally enhanced too, especially to indicate the presence of gas clouds which otherwise wouldn't be visible to the naked human eye.

Btw: excellent pic Vidra, I've been in love with Mars since I was 12 when I was mailed 30+ printed photographs from NASA's JPL :D

10. dimpleboy

dimpleboy Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800gt alpha dog @ stock 600
    my screen cant even fit that nebula! lol

11. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    The quality of pictures Hubble can take are based on the amount of time they train it on something.

Here's a picture it took of Jupiter... arguably better than the Mars one, because they spent longer taking it.

[​IMG]

12. Vicious-Deeds

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7970 3gb
  13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Wow, those are some incredible images. And I'm in the process of watching that video now. Very interesting stuff.

It had never crossed my mind that the reason we haven't been to the moon again could be we were told to GTFO by some aliens 0_o

14. zigihammer

zigihammer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060
    Or they have base on the moon, who know what was discovered and what they r researching in Area 51 ;]

15. Ex4000

Ex4000 Master Guru

GPU:
    2600XT
    Jupiter looks like a cake

16. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I don't think the hubble space telescope can look at things like the moon or Mars, i suppose it is like trying to use a microscope to spy on your neighbours, it has huge magnification, but you still can't use it for things at a distance.

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I think the main problem is that the closer objects (the planets in the solar system etc) move much faster than the farther ones (at least in relation to us). Since it has to "train" itself on the image it wants (in order to produce a really good picture), this proves much harder for closer objects.

18. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    wow, those are some incredible images. thanks for posting them!