The hits just keep on coming. Ubisoft releases a FAQ about DRM..takes a shot at valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hlhbk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    lol what drugs am i on? look at your post. i quoted you ffs right at the srtart you say get used to it or buy a console. then you go on to say vote with your wallet dont buy the games. and i said everyone has already said that. and go back to an earlier post when you say, and i quote, "It's not such a bad thing IMO and it's certainly the future... "
    so maybe you show lay off the drugs or stop contradicting yourself and then try to make it look like "im" the one getting it twisted.

2. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I think you've taken my comments out of context....

- Everything and everyone will have access to the internet before long.

- DRM is here to stay (what do you think Steam is?)

- People whining isn't helping.

- People pirating games isn't helping.

- If you hate PC DRM so much, buy a console!

Where is the contradiction? I said it wasn't such a bad thing based on peoples overreaction to it. I said it's the future because clearly it is and there is nothing you or I can do about that. That doesn't mean I like it...

OK, I'm done with this thread... my opinion obviously differs from most people on here and starting to think I'm wasting me breath.

It was kinda fun though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  3. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    ok i havnt read all the posts or much on this DRM, but from the FAQ i just read, i can go on any computer and play the game.

So say I play through and complete the single player mode on normal difficulty, and want to go through and play again on hard, im assuming will be allowed. in which case i would be allowed to play trough on normal again?

since i can play on any computer couldnt i just give it to a friend because i am so generous and allow him to play through the game on my account, in which we would pass down the line hence really 10 people can play through off the one copy?

4. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    I completely agree.
    Wrong. They are the same. People with priorities, you see.

If you are in a position where you cannot have a constant connection, then its your own fault. If only one ISP does service in your area and always drops a connection; move out of town and find a new career. If you had a lot of money and bought a good computer with a game, but later that year couldn't cover the monthly bills anymore. It's your own fault. Work a second job. If you already have two jobs then work three jobs. If you live in Hong Kong and an underwater cable broke? Move out of the country. Live in a student dorm? Its your own fault too. Drop out of college and find a job just so you can game.

Why do you blame everyone expect for the one person (company) that is telling you when you can and cannot use something that was paid for. Do you personally believe people are accountable to do these things on their own? Have you ever done something that extreme just to play a computer game?

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Disconnecting, you don't half talk nonsense, move out of town and finding a new career, what planet are you on?

If the internet is that important to someone, they need therapy, some people just want the net to browse, send emails, look for jobs etc, if it drops out here and there, fine, as tbh spending too much time on the net is unhealthy.

But they still use their PC as a gaming machine, and your saying they should drop out of college or move and find a new career if they want to play AC2 or Settlers7.
    Its not a word i like to use, but that is one of the most retarded things i've ever saw on here, if those are your views, you need to bin your PC and start acting like a proper human being.

Vault Of Fail post for sure:stewpid:

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Disconnecting, what a load of rubbish, hows about living on planet earth and the real world for a time? but well done on the trolling, im gonna get my ass to sweden and live beside that granny with a 100GB connection

7. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I think Disconnecting is being sarcastic by using extreme measure.

8. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    The amount of spoilt, ignorant children whining about priorities is sickening. You people really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and one can only hope you taste hardship in your life so you learn the meaning of 'priorities'.

Once again, for those who do not understand the correlation between pirace and sales. Piracy = sales, anything else is a lie. Lots of studies have been done and it's been proven repeatedly that piracy leads to increased salves. Stop with saying that piracy is killing the industry because it's not, if it were why are these companies posting massive profits, year after year? If piracy is such a problem what makes you think they're going to sell a game at 100 if they can't sell it at 40, you've really got to lack common sense.

The point of this DRM is to kill the second hand trade in PC games, in time this will also be extended, more or less, to consoles. So, you're more than welcome to help that along, as well.

Ubi haven't made a decent game but that's beside the point. Buy the game but do yourself a favour and don't register, download a crack and play it that way. You will not only save yourself a lot of trouble but you will also be able to sell it on later. The only time I won't encourage the purchase of games worthy of buying are games that are overpriced or games that can't be obtained otherwise.

9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Exactly!

If you can't aford the internet service, you can't aford the game anyways. Also, as a last worst case one can always leech the net of unsecured wireless connections =)

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You have to be kidding me right? Oh wait your from China so that explains your point of view...LOL but seriously here, you honestly think stealing game software increases sales? Stealing anything is a loss to sales!! You steal a bag of chips from the store the owner is losing a bag of chips. It isn't like after the theft, two more bags will be sold because of it...geez...

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I may be many things, but spoilt or ignorant isn't one of them.

You can't honestly believe that nonsense! Stealing leads to increased sales??
    While i don't believe that every pirated copy is a lost sale, what your suggesting is just ludicrous.
    Your telling us that these companies spend tens of millions trying to stop something that helps sales, come on use your head.

These companies are posting massive profits from the sales of wii, 360 and PS3 games, certainly not the PC version, i wouldn't be suprised if they make alot more money from the iphone version of a game than the PC one.

While i agree that this form of DRM is also aimed at the pre-owned market, Ubisoft have clearly stated that they wont be using Steam as it wasn't a sufficient piracy deterent.
    I will be buying and cracking this just to save any possible angry moments this DRM could throw up, but also because it is a very good game, and will probably be the best 3rd person game this year, and im not going to blame the developers for the mistakes of the publishers.

12. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Living in China means I must be Chinese?

You can ignore the studies done into sales all you want but at the end of the day you people believe the lies of the RIAA/MPAA and software industry.

Five seconds of search proved I am so wrong... or not. While this study was about music sales there is no difference between music, film and software, they're all just as easily downloadable and the correlation between piracy and sales is valid in ALL fields.

And you, Redemption, should read a few newspapers, this is constantly reported in the news.

Here's another report on the study.
    Correlation between piracy and book sales? I think so!
    And another article on 'book piracy' and sales.

Have I proven my point or need I drown you in links to studies done proving how wrong you, supporters of Big Money, are?

Thinking for yourself must be really hard or maybe you guys have just been brainwashed with the lies of these big companies vying for cash and control. And guess what? The software industry see the resale of games/software as piracy and want to end that. No, I am NOT going to post links because it's time to do your own research.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can you stay on topic, what has music/movies/book piracy got to do with PC game piracy, no one is disputing that, we all know their markets are booming, as is the console game market, we don't need spoon fed articles to see that.

PC games sell on average a few hundred thousand, but are download about tens time that figure, and that is just figures from Torrent sites, that doesn't inclue scene sites, things like Rapidshare, or Usenet.
    I agree with the companies about the pre-owned market, it is essentially piracy, every pre-owned game sold is a lost sale for them since they only made money on the initial sale, i can see how they would be pissed, i would be too.

There is no research suggesting PC game piracy helps sales, and you don't need any, you only have to look at the sales figures to see there is a serious problem.

If what you said was true then that would mean PC sales would be even lower without piracy, so essentially your saying the PC is a useless format for gaming for anything but MMORPG's and The Sims.

14. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I find your angry tone quite rude and insulting...

Are you saying because I live in the UK I wouldn't understand hardship?

Are you saying because I put my 'broadband' low on my list of priorites I am in some way spoilt?

Unbelievable.

Another quite incredible rant...

I believe you are totally wrong and those links prove absolutely nothing for many reasons which I can't be bothered to explain right now.

How about you check out this link...

http://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

Most Pirated PC Games of 2009

1) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 4,100,000
    2) The Sims 3 - 3,200,000
    3) Prototype - 2,350,000
    4) Need For Speed Shift - 2,100,000
    5) Street Fighter IV 1,850,000

Just the top 5 PC Games were downloaded 13,600,000 times!

Are you seriously expecting me to believe that almost 14 million illegal downloads resulted in higher sales? :3eyes:

Just think about what you have just said.

Oh, and take a chill pill. All westerners aren't *****. :rolleyes:

15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Disappointed to see SFIV in there, fighting games are such a rarity on the PC was hoping that would do really well, hopefully still sold enough to make a profit on the porting costs.

Oh, and before anyone says the same games were pirated on the 360 too, yes they were, Sims3 excluded, but they on average sold alot more than they were pirated, were as on the PC the average figure is 10 pirated copies to 1 bought copy.

16. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    they do not need piracy to destroy pc gaming, they can and will dot it them self-s

but what is bugging me..

why just the pc version of the game?? what the x-box version does not get pirated??

p.s and for this crap only i will buy the cracked version of the game

EPIC FAIL UBISOFT EPIC FAIL

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Hmm can we focus back on the point where he says that if the connection is lost during game play the game will pause, if it then can't find a connection it will quit the game you then have to go back and reload from whatever point the game decided to save at?

Now this may be a generalisation but for the majority of us the most unreliable part of our PC experience is more than likely going to be our internet connection. My computer has been on for 7 hours as of now and in that time everything has worked but due to the weather here my internet has cut out or lost connection at least twice. If I had been playing a Ubi game that would have been twice I had to reboot, reload and replay sections that I would otherwise have completed and all due to my internet connection?

In general my internet connection pretty stable but it is easily the most unreliable aspect of my gaming experience so being 'forced' and which ever way Ubi slice it we are being 'forced' to tie our gaming experience to the least reliable aspect of modern computing.

All the other stuff is sugar coated bullsh*t that Steam is more than capable of doing without the need to have a constant always on connection.

I ordered Silent Hunter 5 about two weeks ago, as yet I can't find any confirmation weather this game will have the always on online DRM feature. If it does then I will cancel the order, if it doesn;t then chances are this will be the last Ubisoft game I purchase.

Just found out that Silent Hunter 5 does use this mod of DRM, order has been cancelled.

18. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Just buy AC2 and flood the tech support lines until they give up and put out a patch.

19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, thats what i am doing, even if it works flawless 24/7 :wanker:

20. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Wow, how many times does a freak storm occur in such that you lose internet for a week. You just named one the worst-case-scenarios of broadband which rarely occur. Surely you have a better reason than that?

I respect Ubisoft's motives. They actually came up with a method that's better than their previous ones. Probably won't change anything though. There are still those computer geeks in their garage who love hacking and cracking and they will most likely come up with a bypass. So nice attempt Ubisoft.

And to all those stating "I am not going to support Ubisoft now" are full of ****. PC gaming is not just the games; it's the hardware, the fastest PC, the benchmarking, and the bad ass custom built computer. If this DRM works and other developers begin to utilize it, every PC gamer would eventually conform and accept it.