The hits just keep on coming. Ubisoft releases a FAQ about DRM..takes a shot at valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hlhbk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Mine went out for a week because the phone company was upgrading things and screwed my connection.

So don't come on here all high and mighty saying things like that don't happen. Because they do.

The fact is, it's **** DRM, and they shouldn't be doing it. It's all about Choice, and we aren't getting any.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Well at least we're talking about personal experience now, instead of the "This could happens"

But I don't think a company is going to or should base their ideas on your phone company's one-time incompetence.

Personally, I'm looking at the upside of all of it, which is that you get free save backups. It's sugar coating it, yeah, but sugar tastes good.

3. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    The point isn't money, it's just the inconvenience. Outages happen. Maybe your internet only goes out for 5 minutes, but you lose your last hour of playing since your last save point.

It also just adds another little inconvenience as you connect/login each time you play. I find it annoying that every time I want to play ME2 I have to wait a second for the "Cerberus Network" to connect before I can even click "resume."

I imagine it's a lot slower to have to download your savegame from a server and then load it than, say, loading it directly off an SSD.

Not the end of the world but it makes Ubisoft's terrible games even less appealing.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If someone choses to pay thier heating bill instead of their internet bills, but has already bought a game, then they deserve to not be able to play it, tbh that just crap, as i've said, if that starts being the norm, it wont be long before you have to have your BluRay player hooked up 24/7 just to watch your retail movies.

While i don't like the DRM, i don't know why people are so harsh on Ubisoft's games, i don't see any other company with any decent third person shooters in the first half of this year.
    If it wasn't for the fact that AC2 is a cracking game, and SC:C looks like it could be the best stealth game in years, i wouldn't care what DRM they use.

5. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Oh, it doesn't happen? It can very well happen. My connection was down for almost two weeks because my ISP screwed something with its DNS servers. The modem couldn't allocate an IP-address. Luckily I only had to suffer four days of that as I wasn't home all the time. I only knew it was a big problem as it was pretty big on the ISP's news.

So, to the game.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 servers come to mind from this. Random disconnects from games and then sometimes you couldn't even log back in. Horrible, just horrible. I sincerely hope they have better servers this time around, but what do I actually care, I'm not going to buy that game. BC2 is coming a day after AC2 and I think I'll buy Battlefield rather than this. At least with that game I can be assured of quality time if the beta is anything to go on.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I can't believe people support it.

By saying, you're games are saved online.

Why does that matter? My games are saved locally anyway, so how am I better off. Now I have to have a permanent Internet connection, that's a step backwards.

7. Romiz

Romiz Guest

One time you are joking.. Try to get on Road Runner a majority of other services. They have moderate to high downtime and if you think that is false then time to visit the REAL WORLD. The is also the reason I switched to DSL since got sick of cables 2 to 5 percent downtime. And even now down about 1 hour a month.

8. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    They want to crush the used games market, that's all they're interested in.

Seems like they're loosing a lot of money from ppl who buy games, crack'em and resell them within the 1st week after release. I guess that's the real problem (for them) and for us as PC players.

Only choice we have is not buying them at all. Game companies are watching each other very closely esp which DRM measures are selling better than others. So if Ubisoft takes a huge hit on the head with this one no other company will try to enforce permanent connections on its customers.

We have it in our hands guys.
    I cancelled my PC preorder.

9. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Hehe, that be the most ironic thing ever..a monthly online subscription to play your singleplayer game haha.

Think most people who thought about pirating this game will still not buy it, even if they cannot pirate it. It is like that movie 'He is just not that into you', same thing here..pirates just aren't that into the games they pirate.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I believe I did say that I lost connection for a weeks before somewhere on this forum. So I'm talking about personal experience. Also, I know some people are still paying by usage. I'm not talking about something that could happen but something that HAPPENED! Get your facts right. Yes, Hong Kong is one of the best in tele communication infrastructure but **** happens. Last year or 2 years ago. We can't connect to any US site (this happened not could happened) because the underwater cable is cut off and that is because of the earthquake and storm in Taiwan.

11. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I find it stupid! you need internet connection to play single player?!

if something it will encourage piracy even more!

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I have accepted steam for what it is. At this point though, I think it's better to stick with steam and carry on because the industry isn't going to turn back.

The piracy going on is really hurting pc sales. It's rampant and we've got an economic problem to deal with. As much as I hate DRM, I'd hate for them to leave pc dev more.

Really, if everyone else follows suit, then, we'll just have to accept this is the way the digital age is going to go. It's all about subscriptions and user-licenses, now with online-only element for everything.

13. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Imo that's a big joke from Ubisoft.

On the one hand, the games will anyway be pirated no matter the protection and I simply refuse to believe they haven't realized that in the past. So piracy is like in most cases only a way to justify something that is hardly justifyable (I hope that's a real word :D). And I dare to predict there will be even more illegal downloads through this because people still want to play the game but don't want to support Ubisoft's new politics (though I understand this isn't the right way either - but many poeple see this differently).

On the other hand it harms the customer in two ways. First I can't resell the game (which is imo exactly and only what they want to accomplish with their new "service") which sucks from a economical point of view. And then there is also this drawback, I don't buy singleplayer games to play them online, hello Ubisoft?! Maybe I am a minority but I anyway play almost exclusively multiplayer games and only get a single player game every once in a while to play them on my laptop when traveling. This is simply not possible with Ubisoft's new way of DRM and it hurts because I always saw this as the only big advantage of single player games - you don't have to be online play the damn things :O

I hope they fail big time and are forced to break up with this idea as soon as possible... but I fear it will be the same story as with COD:MW2 - lots of rants on the internets but still sales records for the responsible company :(

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    friking ubisoft morons...

15. Gembel

Gembel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 DirectCU 2
    I remember this..I don't know if it's true but the connection was off for a week :thumbdown and they mentioned about this disaster..and we know disaster happen often these days..the end is drawing near ... repent :cheers:

16. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    So because Ubisoft have decided to use a new form of DRM the whole of PC gaming is dooooooomed?

I'm really getting sick of all these overreactions to every little change within the industry...

Either get used to it or buy a console.

They don't support it at all, they tolerate it. Like I said to the above, vote with your wallet and don't buy the games.

Absolutely right, people posting nonsense about not been able to afford their internet bill need to re-evaluate their priorities! Seriously.

However, people with internet connection problems have a genuine need for concern... let's not confuse the two.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  17. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    to me from this thread it seems like people are saying exactly that, they arent going to buy the games, so why is it you and everyone else who apparently loves ubisoft are telling everyone f you get used to it this is the best thing since wine and cheese. as finch and others mentioned it isnt necessarily about "oh no not another drm" its about convenience and inconvenience. Read the actual posts people. the people complaijning have genuine concerns, and as mentioned being in the military you are with out a doubt getting ****ed by ubisoft on this. we constantly have to move ( and were not the only job that requires lots of travel) and you cant always get internet, especially not in gd iraq and aghanistan in a war zone, so now we have to educate our wifes and family on not to buy us any gd ubisoft games because we wont be able to play them. now my wife has to check everygame to see if its ubisoft or not and she doesnt know **** about video games. then as others have mentioned when you only have one choice of isp because of gd monopolys like road runner (which is owned by time warner) which is funny because when i was in NC i had my choice of road runner or time warner, its the same gd company. so when your net is down you are once again ****ed. there are so many factors to take into account to why you may end up with no internet, more so than why you may have internet. it seems to me like the people in this thread who are opposed to this actually see both sides of the fence while those who love ubisoft and this new drm only see one side of the fence.
    so again as mentioned no need to tell the people complaining about this to not buy the game, its been made very clear by those who are opposed to it that they arent going to buy the gd games. and guess what just because you own a console doesnt mean you wont be subjected to this same gd drm on their console games, so what now you want to tell me hey you have to pay $50 for the pc game then anywhere from $25-$60 for a monthly internet fee or buy a console for $200-$400 then pay for a monthly internet fee plus if you have an xbox another $15 a month for xbox live? (and its rumored ps3 will start charging for their service too) lmao wtf! yea nice solution.

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And thats exactly what I'll be doing, until this DRM crap is dead and gone Ubisoft wont get a ****ing cent from me.

19. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Excuse me but what drugs are you on? I never said anything of the kind.

This is bizarre.

Edit: Just to clear up my point of view...

- I don't like Ubisoft
    - I don't like DRM
    - Am I gonna whine about it? No.
    - Is it gonna stop me buying PC games? No.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    exactly and we all know how great Live is at storing online profiles lol( i only create online profiles for MP, all SP is offline since the $hit that was GOW )