The hits just keep on coming. Ubisoft releases a FAQ about DRM..takes a shot at valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hlhbk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    Is this a seriouys question? Check out this link and then ask yourself why publishers insist on some kind of DRM...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1057587p1.html

I think if I lived in an earthquake zone I'd be more worried about my house falling down than beeen able to play games... :3eyes:

Look guys, no one likes ubisoft's new DRM (or any DRM for that matter) but we need to put things into perspective here...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Look i know that DRM is put on video games to prevent piracy but it´s failing completely and it´s preventing people from buying original games because they don´t want to be disturbed by useless DRM measures! For example, GFW is simply awful but still we are forced to use it! It shouldn´t be this way. The only thing that they are achieving is forcing people to stop buying games for PC and buy the same games for consoles, so they can develop the games more easily and make money on DLCs and other stuff.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well The Sim3 is second on the most pirated list, and as i keep saying it was the best selling PC title of 2009, so much so that its getting a console port.
    So that makes it look like FPS players are either cheap or poor.

As for GFWL, i like it, my only problem is that it isn't used enough.

I lol'd at the earthquake thing, let all start a collection for the Haiti Assassin's Creed 2 fund.

4. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I haven't got all the answers but I know that publishers are very relucant to release games on PC at all, let alone without DRM.

Piracy is the cause and the effect, it's a catch-22 situation.

If the torrent sites were closed down then the sales figures for PC games would probably quadruple over night! Then maybe the need for oppresive DRM such as Ubisofts wouldn't be necessary...

5. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    hahaha! the game itself is a monitoring tool.

BS even ex-steam users sell their accounts on ebay.

yeah! they aren't available off-line. how loyal is that?

they're right, with one single steam account some1 can crack every game it has, the TRUE off-line mode.

and the most important...

WELL, DO THIS KNOW!!!

wait... Ubi brought Massive Entertainment right? oooh! god! World in Conflict is in their hands, oooh! noo! the only game I will be expecting from them in screwed!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  6. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    No offense intended. But that seems extremely ignorant. Even in America, people 18 years or older who begin living on their own for the first time, have a lot of new bills they need to cover. College loan dept, electric, phone, food, gas, paying a +50$ monthly internet bill just isn't always possible for everyone. Even if they somehow buy a game. Meanwhile, it's pretty obviously you've never even tried to play any online game from a student dormitory.

It seems like you've never moved out on your own before. Or maybe you've always had a lot of money if your family with everything handed to you on a silver platter. Not everyone is so lucky.

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, as above.

An example: Next month you may get hit with a huge gas bill because of the very cold winter, so you may not be able to afford your cable bill, but hey, thank god you preordered AC2, that should keep you occupied.

Ah....f**k

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I've only skimmed through the comments here so pardon me if this was already asked. But I like to know if they can ban your key if you are banned on their forums (for example). Why would I bring such a thing up? Because I like to know if they intend on tie your forum login to your account (or Master Account if one exists).

9. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    I can't remember the last time Ubisoft made a decent game. They should just stick to consoles since they clearly don't want people playing their games on PC and PC gamers don't want to play their crap games.

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's not a problem with people being connected to the Internet.

But a permanent connection, where it drops your game if you loose access, that's a bit of a problem.

Even if it wants to Dial home and check every now and then when you play, that's still fine.

There's a lot of times when people go offline, they may take their laptop traveling, or have problems with their Internet, and that's the time people go, well lets see what games I can play.

We would be better off having 4 activations of the bloody thing.

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I dunno, I read it, and it doesnt seem as bad as people make it out to be. I have lived on my own since I am 18. In my new apartment my 6MB internet connection is $35 split between me and my buddy. There are no internet connection problems...so, why is everyone complaining?

You can even tether an internet connection from a phone these days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethering

Hong Kong users cant complain when they have more advanced phones than every other country.

It said that its only on when you play the game and exits when its done saving or whatever. So its just like signing in and out of a website or what not.

12. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

The day that the PC gaming industry follows this path as a whole is the last day I am a PC gamer. I would rather pay more for an inferior version of games on a console than support this becoming a standard in the PC gaming community.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'ts basically just a **** version of steam.

14. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    The irony is that people who pirate the game wont have to deal with the DRM thanks to the crack, while the honest customer suffers. That's just asking for their games to be pirated...

15. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    I can't find a single game I would even want to pirate from Ubisoft. They are all trash.

16. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Assasin's Creed2 and Splinter Cell Conviction, 2 games out of only 3that i am interested in in the next few months, i can live without Settlers7 though, got bored of RTS games years ago.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Never know when you may lose your job, take a paycut and have to really cut back on internet or turn it off. Thats what i fear, my netz is kinda pricey, but it would suck if a storm or something cut out netz just when you wanted to play...it happens, and if i want to play now, i expect to do so. So yeah i'd just play more of my PS3.
    PC gaming is going to the toilet.

18. Romiz

Romiz Guest

He is talking about all companies DRMs not just Ubisoft.

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I assume there will be cracks for those that buy the game as well, at least if history is to be any indicator here. Although I suppose we should keep from discussing that any further on these boards anyway.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    People.

If you guys can't afford your cable bills, heating bills, whatever bills...Stop buying games. You shouldn't be playing ANY games and certainly not upgrading a PC to be able to do so unless you have every single bill paid off. Come on.

If you have a legitimate comment to make, based on your situation, do so. But don't everyone spout out these weird, random, possibilities that really only one person is going to have to deal with in order to set up your argument against the thing.

Like...What if your internet is down for a couple...weeks? Come on, that doesn't happen.