The hits just keep on coming. Ubisoft releases a FAQ about DRM..takes a shot at valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hlhbk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

http://support.uk.ubi.com/online-services-platform/

I am only cutting this part off to ask those of you reading to please remember the offline question for a later question in the FAQ. I will give my thoughts there.

The last question (along with something later) pretty much shows that this will be in effect for all releases including Steam.

This is why I asked everyone to remember the above questions. Really? Ubisoft really expects people to accept this? I am done support Ubisoft. I am putting them right up there with Infinity Ward for the way they treat the PC gaming community. Maybe somebody should tell Ubisoft that Valve is much more highly respected and supported by the PC gaming community because they treat it with respect instead of expecting the worst from everyone.

So thoughts on this from everyone? I gave mine above.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yawn like that will not be cracked either way.

i like the fact that its install on however many pcs you want. a majority of people these days probably have a dedicated high speed internet connection on their computer anyway. the connection require is probably like running an IM program on your computer while gaming so i do not see that big a deal about it. heck of alot better than the 3 install/reinstall limit on some protection schemes.

3. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Yessir I was planning to buy this game on the PC. Held off getting it for my 360 because I wanted DX10 and such. Now with all of this in place...I'll simply buy the 360 version used.

4. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't really care to comment on the DRM itself, but how exactly is what they said a shot at Steam? It's entirely true and relevant reasoning as to why they do not have an offline mode, an entire LAN party could all play TF2 in offline mode using a single persons account.

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    yep, thats what they want, the less platforms they have to develop for and with a larger user base the better, go ahead, contribute to the problem if you must.

6. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

Because Valve's measures are all you should have to take. I will never buy a game where I can't play if I am not online. Piracy is a major issue, but Ubisoft isn't exactly hurting for money. I would rather they move out of the PC market than treat their paying customers like this.

7. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Damn if you do damn if you don't.
    Ubisoft is giving the finger to pc regardless.
    Either have horrifically intrusive DRM or we don't have the game at all.

8. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Hum, after reading the FAQ, it really doesn't seem that bad, as long as I don't lose any progress if my connection drops.

It seems like it affects only the reselling of the game, and since I don't do that, I don't have any problems with it...

I usually oppose this DRM crap, but I'm not seeing real issues here. What am I missing?

9. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

Ok what if there is a major storn or something in your area and in some part of town the internet lines are messed up and you don't have internet for weeks? Will you be ok with the fact that you can't play your SINGLE PLAYER GAME because you can't get online?

10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    LOL ubisoft are just hurting themselves big time im not interested in AC2 anyway i thought the first was a bag of **** think i will stay away from any ubisoft titles not like they make anything that good

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    No single player game should require the internet, even steam activation sucks, firstly; I just changed internet providers and had no internet for a week, then when I did get my internet back steam would not let me activate my own AVP game because AUS got it before other places, so I had a new game 3 days before steam claims it was released, then ran out of internet data for that period ( had a limited amount as some kind of pro-rata scenario for the first month ), then when I finally could install and update, steam screwed up and broke my offline mode for a while and I had to reinstall steam etc...

Too much hassle.

I refused to buy bioshock 2 because of it's lame ass GFWL activation, but now that I found a crack, i'm all good to go.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, thats how it appears.

The online backup of save games is a good idea, but its just their way of trying to sugar coat it.

Buying this on the 360 would be more expensive and only be putting extra money in their pocket as well as Microsofts, and you would be playing an inferior version, so your only spiting yourself.

I won't go near this until i have a working crack, i frequently take a month or so, internet breaks, and after the GTAIV problems, i can't be doing with this.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I'm not so against it, that guy sold it to me, really.

For almost all people, an always on internet connection isn't an issue at all.

I really like them moving away from limited activations and I REALLY like them saving the games online.

14. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070

you forgot the part where ubisoft takes the master server down for maintenance and u can't play at all or ur isp going down for and hour or 2 or even better u go to some remote part of country where they have stuff all internet, how about those that serve in the army/navy/airforce? your basically ****ed it is a big deal

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Unfortunately two of the three games i want in the next 6weeks are Ubisoft games.

I also thought AC was poor, great for the first hour or so, then it went nowhere.
    This was one of the most improved sequels every when i tryed it on the 360, had to put it away though, as wanted to wait for this version.

16. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    Luckily Ubisoft only makes sh!tty games, therefore, I do not care.

17. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    It's not just Ubisoft. [ve3d.ign.com]

Now that EA Games has started doing this too; expect to see this kind of DRM on just about every single pc game published by EA.
    And then some.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    EA games are pretty free of DRM stuff these days, hopefull Ubisoft see sense and does the same.

I'd advise everyone to buy the game and use the crack, when x amount of people buy it, and a much smaller number register, they will know what people are up to.

19. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I like how they say stuff like Yes! You can have the glorious wonderment of having saved games stored online :wanker::banana::wanker::banana:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  20. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    ^ tmi >_<