**The HD5770 Thread**

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by keenan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

Your score looks good for the kit you have.
    I wouldnt worry about getting higher 3DMark scores though.
    I use 3DMark to make sure my hardware performance is in the right ballpark and to check performance differences between drivers.
    It doesnt tell me if any game will run ok sadly, so game benchies are king.

From your screenshot, you already have a decent overclock so for more performance you need to clock higher or get new hardware.

It depends on the game whether more CPU or GPU is needed.
    For example, I run GTA4 Liberty City with shadows on medium but everything else on max, draw distance is just below max (94) to fit within 1GB video memory.
    This makes my quad @ 4.2GHz CPU limited, framerate is just acceptable.
    Gfx card utilization is around 50%, I have seen it touch 70%.
    So for this game, a faster GPU is mostly pointless unless you have a very fast CPU.
    Most games are fine with a dual core of 3.0 to 3.6GHz and thus a faster GPU will improve framerate with these.
    ie batman runs great with a 3GHz dual core CPU.

2. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    I shall chime in now. The Hawk seems solid, made with military grade components, and the only lockups I've had were my fault, OC went too far. If you wanna build a new system, I recommend a Hawk 5770.

3. SimonSix

SimonSix Member

GPU:
    ATi XFX HD5770 1GB
    Same card here.
    Nice and cool card.
    Use AB to get there easy.

4. Internal

Internal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 @ 950/1400
    As a person who is into "Mil-spec" firearms and appreciates a certain quality can someone explain to me what the heck "military grade componentes" on a commercial video card is supposed to translate into?

5. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    It's supposed to run within military specs. So there can't be very much margin for the electronic parts on the pcb. See when you by a 10 ohm resistor in a shop it can be anything from 9 to 11 ohm. When you buy a military specced one it will be between 9.9 and 10.1 ohm.

*Disclaimer*
    All numbers in this example are made up, but you get the point.

6. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Better-made board components, like Vreg's and chokes. My Gigabyte mobo is similarly built, solid-core chokes and such, but they don't call it military grade. Ultra Durable, some crap like that. So far, both parts are running solidly and reliably, so I gotta think it's directly due to the better components.

Well, and watercooling.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

You gonna OC that thing? I think you should.:nerd:

8. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    MSI's "Military class components" is (meaningless) marketing. It's more a statement that components weren't cost-cut as much as usual with consumer electronics nowadays.

Although the price premium for passive components with lower thermal drift (assumed) is nice, the board assemblies are "weak" even with such components. Weak: Modern high-end GPUs dump so much heat into their card assemblies and the surrounding environments, that such components mean relatively little for longevity. Then again, hardware enthusiasts have tolerant wives for new purchases...

I gray-screened my Hawk a few times during testing with Kombustor/Furmark & OCCT.

9. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    No, they don't have tolerant wives lol

10. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    [​IMG]

Just bought this one ^

it will replace a 8600GS 265mb nvidia card, will i notice the difference :grin:

11. ragingsilver

ragingsilver Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi 5770
    I'm not getting any luck with the grey screens. I still get them and if it happens more than 3-4 times in a session, I'll get a BSOD. I'm running off 10.4 but the issue should've been fixed since 10.2. I'm getting annoyed with this. I have the first gen sapphire 5770 along with win 7 64bit. I'm now waiting for the 45/60GT/X cards from nVidia now.

12. SmoTaN

SmoTaN Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7850 2GB DCII
    I also agree with this, military grade or ultra durable are just marketing names but aside from that these cards really have better components. The Hawk is a completely custom tuned and enhanced PCB and not only that, the Hawk has unlocked BIOS so no need to flash to ASUS bios and similar tricks.

for example the Sapphire Vapor-X model had really good cooler but aside from that the rest was all reference and with a locked BIOS which is really a shame considering the cooling potential of the Vapor-X cooler :(.

btw what was your max OC on the Hawk with H2O?

13. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Got to 1030/1420(1.237v core), but Kombustor was artifacting like mad, and I didn't wanna give it too much volts. I didn't try to run 3DM06 or games, didn't think it would end well. I may do that anyway, as time goes on and my cost of components fades into the past, I tend to try to push harder.

When I get the money to replace my E6600, I'll throw a ton of volts at it and see where it can go. It'll do 3.7 at 1.35, so 1.5 should get me something. Something like a blown E6600.

14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    That...can't...be the max. On a standard sapphire card i reached 1040 / 1420 without H2O. The card you have should go way higher.

15. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    What kinda volts did you give it? I am a bit apprehensive to overvolt my new card, anyone know what a good max is for volts? AB only goes to 1.35, but I'd likely stop around 1.29.

Also, the Ceramique has had time to "settle", so I will plunge back into OCing it soon. Like later tonight.:)

16. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    I have this one SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. There's absolutely no way to have voltage control on that card. In fact, I've made a few posts on that asking for it.

So, without voltage control I can get higher clocks then what you had on your card. My comment was only posted to urge you to investigate your card a little bit more :)

1.35 isn't dangerous but I would take a good look at the temps. if it's too high, lower the voltage.

17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    I know what you meant, but no, my temps are stellar. MAX load is 46c. Gonna hit it with more v's tonight, wanted to try to sort my Oblivion issue(refer to my thread) before I went further.

I will mos def post back what happens.

18. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    I will try Oblivion tommorow on a max overclock. I did notice your thread about it. Is Oblivion the only game that has this texture problem with water? Your temps are @#$@@#@ great, another reason your card should reach 1100/1440 :)

19. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    that thing has a serious design flaw. When i cleaned its thermal paste to put new one, after i put the cooler (well, im cutting 2/3 of the history, it doesnt matter) the thing has like 2mm between the cooler and the chip, doesnt touch it. Needed a few nuts to solve it.

Friggin think scared me, it toped like 90ÂșC after half a second furmark o_O

20. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    I reseated the cooler on that one as well. It didn't have the distance between the cooling block and gpu as yours had though. Temps went down quite a bit. The stock TIM applied by Sapphire could have been a lot better indeed. The thing that struck me is the fact that the gpu itself has engravings. Many people want a mirror finish and even lap their cooler / cpu / gpu. On this thing, and all Ati gpu's, there's an engraving. TIM can't be nicely applied on these products I guess.