**The HD5770 Thread**

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by keenan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    since the release of the xfx xxx editions and black editions, they have edited most of their bios' to limit the possible OC range, as a means of upselling the black editions.

this is perfectly fine if you want awesome warranty and dont really OC.

but its kinda annoying that it restricts your OC range.

best bet for OC would be to get an msi hawk edition, mainly because its guaranteed to be supported by msi afterburner.

2. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    Ok, this card is legitimately pissing me off.

If I use OverDrive, running any 3D will crash the system. I just want a card that will Just Work (TM) as it should, out of the box. No adjusting, no tinkering, no issues at all. Wish I never went to ATI from Nvidia now. Ugh.

Seriously, this sucks. I want to be able to overclock without having to set custom profiles or flashing the BIOS (which won't flash anyways...). I don't want to have to wait for new drivers when this issue should have been fixed quickly after launch.

Seriously considering ordering at least a GTX 260 and returning the 5770. This is bunk.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    What clocks do you use in OD?

4. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    I just let Auto-Tune go. It came up with 960/1380.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You're a freaking idiot.

"I want to run a card out of spec"

"I want my card to 'Just Work' without tinkering"

How can those two thoughts seriously exist at the same time?

Now, I'm going to assume that your incompetence is the problem, and that you're putting settings that are too high and unstable in CCC.

So, go download MSI Afterburner, and use that. That will let you control your voltage and fan speeds dynamically so that you can get the overclock you want.

God man, you're tinkering with the thing by OCing it, but you don't wanna tinker with it. If you don't want any trouble, just run the card at stock and shut up.

6. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    Yeah, okay buddy. Incompetence. When these cards are advertised for their OCing abilities with Voltage Tweak, SmartDoctor, and OverDrive right in the drivers.

OCing in CCC is a checkbox and hitting auto-tune. It's supposed to safely OC your card to stable levels. You assume too much.

I don't want to have to go into the card's BIOS to fix the idle clock settings permanently. The idle clock settings, with OverDrive active, are way too low to run dual monitors. Excuse me if I see it as unacceptable for the stock idle settings with OD active (but no clock rates modified) to not be enough to run dual monitors on a card that has three outputs. It isn't something an end-user should have to go in and fix themselves.

These cards have been out for near six months now and ATI & OEMs still haven't gotten their **** in line yet.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Like I said.

Don't overclock if you don't want trouble. Even if it is "supported" by ATI, the moment you try to run the card out of spec, any trouble you encounter is your own. No company, Nvidia nor ATI make any promises about what's gonna happen once you touch OCing. You should know this. When you OC, you take the problems associated with it into your own hands.

EDIT: And software auto tuning has never worked, in any program, ever. It's just trouble to even touch that button, and should be disabled and removed from the program.

8. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    I've never had the issue of simply clicking the checkbox, not messing with the clocks, and getting screen jittering when moving/resizing windows in my life. To me, and others, that strikes me as simply odd and broken. There's simply a set of standard, baseline expectations I have for OCing and so far the 5770 doesn't want to follow them. With just the OD checkbox checked and no modifications, it will crash when trying to run Vantage. Does that not strike you as just a little odd?

And really, auto-tune sets a good baseline as to what your card can handle. It's never steered me into unstable clocks on my 3450 or 4870. If anything, I've felt it doesn't push the card enough in some instances. Especially when you do a minor voltage bump (.95 to 1.0). But, as always, not everyone will get the same results with every card.

Edit: Also, Asus also covers OCing in their warranty so long as you use SmartDoctor and/or CCC to do it. I don't know about other OEMs but I read that specifically on the box and in the manual.

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Right, they don't care in their warranty if you've OCed (Though you'll find that if overvoltage damaged it, they care about that) but it's impossible for them to guarantee stability with it.

Just use MSI Afterburner and drop CCC altogether. Why does it have to be CCC?

10. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    CCC, despite it's fluff, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I don't quite like the SmartDoctor software - hard to get an exact number on it. I'll try Afterburner when I get home after work today. Maybe jump over to ATT so that I can load custom profiles at startup instead of having to go into CCC and loading up the profile manually to get the card to operate at the right clocks for dual monitors at idle speeds (400/1200).

I'm fairly close to returning this card and picking up a GTX 260 or riding out my 4870 until the 400-series gets a refresh with models at non-ridiculous price points. Maybe bring the TPD down a bit, too. Those things are retardedly power hungry for 40nm processes.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    ccc autotune doesnt stress test your gpus enough to find a stable OC.

just from looking at it, i'd say its put your mem clock too high. drop your memory clock down to 1300, set your core clock to 900.

do this in msi afterburner.

run msi kombuster in a window. leave it running for ten minutes, and if the temps are still less than 80 and there are no artifacts, increase your core clock by 20mhz.

rinse, lather, repeat.

then once you hit the ceiling oc for the core (the point where it starts to display artifacts) drop the oc by 20mhz.

do the same for your memory clocks.

you should read the box of your card more. it says 'up to 31%', does not mean you will hit a 31% OC.

on another note, if youve OC'd your cpu, drop it back down to stock clocks before doing this. 5000 series are more sensitive to any and all instabilities in your system. cpus rarely run at full throttle so most people generally dont notice instabilities in cpu OCs.

12. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    I haven't OC'd my CPU. Every time I bump the multiplier up by even .5 it becomes insanely unstable (with and without voltage bump) when running any kind of intensive application.

I'll give your advice a go when I get home.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    MSI Afterburner can fix all the problems you just listed automatically, so get it.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Also when you do make sure you edit the ini and enable unoffical overclocking so you can oc past the default 960 max. Otherwise it will not let you go over 960mhz on the gpu.

Also make sure you check the voltage usage options in MSI AFB as well.

15. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    I was reading the review for the Voltage Tweak ASUS cards on the Guru3D main site and it said not to go over 1.3v. I'll keep that in mind.

Edit:

I bought a GTX 260. Still working with the 5770 right now. Driver crashed at 980/1200 in Kombuster. Working on memory right now.

And scrapping both. The 5770, even with Afterburner, wouldn't go above 157/300 at idle despite setting a profile in Afterburner. Need to play with it more - dual monitors make it tricky for it to detect 3D and auto-switch profiles to the 3D profile.

The GTX 260 barely fit in my case (CM Storm) and I'm more worried about airflow with it sitting in there like that.

I'm back on my trusty XFX 4870 sitting at 780/1090/1.2v currently. The only thing I'd really like for my 4870 is a good cooler as the stock cooler has to be set high for sufficient cooling at load temps (72%).

I guess I'll be waiting for the 5000-series and GTX 400-series refreshes and maybe some new drivers to see how well they decide to work. Though, a 5830 has been calling my name...

Last edited: May 8, 2010

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    @GenClaymore - if he's got an asus voltage tweak card, the bios restriction for his OC will be around 1100mhz core, so he doesnt need to enable unofficialoverclocking mode, which means he wont lose his powerplay.

@cosine83 - if you want a higher idle, install the 10.5b thats floating around, but choose custom installation, and install everything except for the wmv vc1 (this thing stops your card from going into 3d mode). with these drivers, the idle is raised to 400/300, which works better with multimonitor setups and 120hz monitors.

personally, i would stick with a 5770 instead of upgrading to a 5830. its not much of an upgrade really...

17. cosine83

cosine83 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK TA
    A 5770 isn't much of an upgrade from a 4870, either.

18. El1te481

El1te481 New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon 5770 HAWK
    Hi
    Is it usefull to flash the bios. More power etc. sry I´m new with flashing bios.

19. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    flashing bios is only useful if your card has a bios that restricts the OC (ie. xfx xxx edition), or if you want the default clocks to be higher. if your bios doesnt restrict your OC, or if you dont OC at all, i wouldnt recommend it, as there would be nothing to be gained.

20. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Not in your case I guess. You have an MSI card so you can use Afterburner out of the box :)