The Guru3D Screenshot Thread - RTFM! #28 - READ THE RULES IN 1ST POST

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. _rock_

_rock_ Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080Ti
    Death Stranding

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    started evil within 2,looks like a good game.will play some more later.

really happy with the performance I'm getting out of my secondary gpu at 1440p max,good to know a 1070 is still worth something for 1440p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is this game even remotely interesting ?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Watch_Dogs Legion

[​IMG]
    Buckingham Palace, building itself wasn't too special but I like this monument here.

[​IMG]
    Oh great there's not the pollution the water is also full of temporal noisiness.

[​IMG]
    Interesting neighborhood I found here.

[​IMG]
    Suddenly behind all the exteriors-only sex-shops there's a horse statue.

[​IMG]
    Well that's quite grim.

EDIT: Well what to say quite a few effects want TAA but there's some noise to it, some settings in the config file for filtering and sharpening too might be something to check on and see if that can help but I am expecting it's not going to be helping much or some of the graininess and TAA blurriness might be made worse instead.

EDIT: Also the game would work really well for drinking games long as you don't add one every time a NPC casually calls out the player character as a "wanker" as a form of casual greetings.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Ghostrunner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Such a gorgeous game, but... too caught up in the game/combat to even think about taking screenshots.

_rock_, JonasBeckman and Liquid_Death like this.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    I was supposed to get this one with my 3080 but since the card is nowhere to be seen Im still waiting.super pumped to play this,wd2 was a lot of fun.
    definitely playing this at some point.cyberpunk sword game,reminds me of shadowawrrior 2 zilla parts

anyhow
    getting into evil within 2.
    after playing amnesia dark descent recently,this is not really scary.fun game tho.gonna continue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undying and JonasBeckman like this.
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah Watch_Dogs 2 was really good, I'm a bit worried on how Ubisoft is pushing some games out a little bit early but at least their shift into a service model is ensuring a commitment and patch roadmap alongside DLC and general content updates games definitively not bad if you get it as a GPU purchase extra though it could certainly do with one or two hotfixes and at least one major patch to iron out the launch problems and PC port specific quirks.

Impressive how Ubisoft does this although it doesn't always work out quite as well as it could but it's better than dropping support entirely and abandoning a poorly received and badly selling game early.
    NVIDIA also has the option to utilize ray-tracing reflections though the noisiness and artifacts from TAA interferes a bit with this for especially the larger water sources but overall it's a neat effect though also a costlier one.

Ampere has good GPU power though so that offsets it slightly, DLSS also allows upscaling which can force fairly good performance results but again the games own TAA implementation makes for some rough edges again for reflective surfaces but also elsewhere so from what I have been reading it's not the best DLSS implementation as you go through the higher options and scale it from a increasingly lower resolution. (Which has it's own difficulties already.)

That and the general performance problems can be ironed out though, first major update in a few days should already resolve some bigger code issues and hopefully improve from there for later updates.
    I expect similar from Valhalla, Phoenix Rising and Far Cry 6 but hopefully the launch state will be a bit less rough.

As to this game I like the London setting and from Watch_Dogs 2 the denser city areas and additional detailing and even more varied pedestrians and such though it wasn't without some cuts like many interior areas, train traffic and also animals.
    (AI is still as reactive as ever so it's possible to get into some very unique situations just by exploring and doing stuff outside of the more controlled missions.)

Guessing some of the graphical complaints are also about how WD2's setting is a bit more vibrant and colorful this here has a bit more gray or dull tone comparably.
    Haven't gotten into the additional districts of the part of London here though kinda comparing internally to some familiar locations in Assassin's Creed Syndicate which actually worked for some of the similar locations otherwise it's been running around the major landmarks and bugging the royal guard. :p
    (Quite literally as their attack animations glitch out for some reason but I had a touch time capturing a good screenshot of it.)

Well that's the mini review and for the game well I need to see about finding that egg shaped building that many of the promotional images feature too as it should make for a good screen grab.

Photo mode of sorts somewhat exists but it is the same phone function again like in the last game so NPC's react to it and there's UI elements all over thus the wall-hugging method and hiding the player character it's not ideal but it served OK enough for these few screen captures.

EDIT: On a second look I wonder if the game is by default throwing on a very mild but still somewhat eye straining chromatic aberration / scene color fringing effect.

Could just be TAA having some effects as well on geometry edges and certain details.
    Yeah there appears to be small streaks of red, green and blue color separation subtle but a pain in the eyeball alright.

Hmm how to explain that better well it's not the easiest to explain but games like Lords of the Fallen or Dying Light even if not all games apply color channel splitting levels of strength to it. (Witcher 3 handles it well, other games use it as a camera lens distortion where it would actually be instead of over everything.) Causes some mild eye strain in my case though nothing major but I do dislike the effect if that's what this is.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  7. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    Thank you for the information on the remastered mod. I just started the game as part of a Halloween weekend along with...
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    Blair Witch
    Layers of Fear
    Layers of Fear 2
    Alan Wake
    Alan Wake's American Nightmare

One of the scariest times I had was playing the Ravenholm level of Half-Life 2.
    hl2 2015-03-29 16-49-04-48.jpg

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    I recommend playing Observer.
    a really dark,heavy game with exceptional visual design.

I wasn't really sold on the mechanics of EW2 since you gotta do some extra running and killing to obtain fancy stuff but now I got a big ass axe and an electic blot crossbow and I'm liking it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    Upon your recommendation I just spent an evening in the company of the excellent Rutger Hauer. I did get stuck wandering around the building on my first playthrough a few months ago and I gave up because I wasn't paying enough attention to all of the clues. Now I'm checking every cupboard and speaking to every tenant. I'm stuck trying to download data while avoiding a mutant who just caught me so I'll continue tomorrow. I'm really enjoying it.

All I can say is...
    :D
    TheObserver-Win64-Shipping_2020_10_30_21_16_50_361.jpg

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Watch_Dogs Legion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just exploring.

[​IMG]

Get one of those classy cars too and prop it up a bit.

EDIT: Should replay Evil Within 1 & 2 at some point. More of a fan of the first game but the sequel has it's own strengths too.
    Need to pick up Resident Evil 3 Remake too eventually, RE Engine is doing some good work.
    (Wonder if it can eventually take the place of how well MT Framework worked, probably.)

EDIT: Also might just go with D3D11 for Watch_Dogs Legion and drop in SpecialK and find that chromatic aberration effect and undo it. :p
    (The distant area in these scenes is noticeable affected by something akin to what this effect does.)

Imagine would still be a bit less than clean due to the aliasing issues but I'd need a stronger GPU and at least 10 - 12 GB VRAM to do anything more about it.
    (Some graininess too like the water surface but part of that is the SSR resolver and how it's being handled it's already incredibly hard on the GPU to go swimming in the main river too ha ha.)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Liquid_Death likes this.

11. Liquid_Death

Liquid_Death Member

GPU:
    RX5700 XT 8GB
    Resident Evil 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

_rock_ and JonasBeckman like this.
  12. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    so far loving evil within 2 more and more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Arabaldo and JonasBeckman like this.
  13. Liquid_Death

Liquid_Death Member

GPU:
    RX5700 XT 8GB
    Resident Evil 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It's surprising how many games there are with either broken anisotropic filtering or no proper setting for it. Horizon Zero Dawn happens to be one of those games. Unfortunately AMD users can't fix it while NVIDIA users can just force it from driver. I was considering RX 6800 XT but there are just too many downgrades when it comes to driver functionality. If there's something that I except to work, it would be driver forced anisotropic filtering... But they officially support it for DX9 games only and thanks to quick Googling check it looks like even those have issues.

15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    me too.got 3080 on order,was about to cancel cause an amd card got me excited.but then again,
    you'll be missing dlss until amd has something too,might take a month or three years
    no freestyle,no ansel
    no rtx voice,a great feature for those who have to broadcast from home
    and I'll have to find a 24" 165hz strobing monitor replacement for my xb241y that has freesync
    possibly get a r5000+ 5xx board for advertised performance too
    just too much hassle for a $50 premium on the RTX

anyway,I don't know how evil within 2 espaced me for so many years,this is a classic thriller

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah the shader cache and pipeline would have to be handled better there's a default state for the cache file included with the game but I think it's lacking AF texture filtering there so it's simpler filtering and then that also gets used for the user generated shader cache and settings but the anisotropic filtering isn't effective for some reason something got missed or overlooked here thus it's just non-functional instead.
    AMD follows Microsoft's guidelines and recommendations and the D3D overrides are kinda getting phased out following direct game and engine or API implementations although a few things exist still.
    (Like the forcing of a lower tessellation factor maximum.)

NVIDIA has their overrides and these are effective even for D3D12 but NVIDIA also has certain flags as well for compatibility and I think Horizon now falls under that because overriding AF actually causes a few issues too so it's a problem here as well in the later drivers although nVIDIA Inspector may be capable of changing or removing said game exe profile flag also in return for maybe some graphical errors or rendering artifacts occasionally.
    Forcing AF applies it on everything after all which can introduce artifacts or breaks in the visuals though it's rare I only really know about idTech5 where it got capped to a max of 4x due to that.

The developers really should update the game with covering for at least the terrain texture and shaders for that although props would be nice like steep rock edges and that sort of thing showing more clear angle texture filtering shortcomings but the ground is the most pressing issue it just looks really bad without filtering after all and it's always visible.
    This optimization process would have to account for a bunch of additional variables though and as such take even longer plus changes to drivers or the OS D3D files could both need to have the process redone to be optimal again.

Removes stuttering from shader compilation though albeit over time the driver shader cache and for D3D12 the OS shader cache could build up a more thorough cache for the most common elements and also steadily resolve hitches and stutter problems.

I think that's what some games like Watch_Dogs Legion do which is why they don't have the runtime shader compilation step others like Call of Duty try to do this during the cutscenes and with a ton of shaders it does take a while to finish this step up even with multiple CPU cores working together on it on a current generation computer including good RAM and a SSD.

Consoles just handle this on a way that works better and is less time consuming from my understanding on PC it's this situation instead covering the most common stuff and having a short startup time and process and then the other shaders are managed by the driver cache or the OS or if the game has it's own cache routine which can also include D3D11 support.

Hmm not much in the way of screenshots, Legion is a wee bit unstable so going to see how that November 9th update is going to handle things maybe also more driver updates as it's looking like NVIDIA is also seeing several reports about the game being unstable varying from driver report crashes and just software crashes with the game itself.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla on the 10th as well, visiting England but for slightly different purposes, fish & chips home-brewn beer and a bit of looting from the evil Pre-Templars ha ha.
    (Whoops you missed a common chest this area isn't cleared yet.)

Xuan-Yuan Sword VII perhaps then in the meantime. Nioh 2 getting delayed with it's DLC as well so no PC port of that until that's finalized.

EDIT:
    Watch_Dogs Legion, finishing exploring the map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on to some of the non-mission locked interior areas.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Wrath: Aeon of Ruin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Wrath is so awesome, we got some cool stuff in the works for it... can't wait for everyone to see more.

As for me..

Ghostrunner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Game is gorgeous.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  19. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    15 hrs flew by,gets better with every chapter.
    leaving the finale for next time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Evil Within 2 is amazing.