The Guru3D Screenshot Thread - RTFM! #28 - READ THE RULES IN 1ST POST

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Having played Mafia Don Editione I don't think that's blurry though the games love of screen space and it's admittedly really nice but really shiny materials especially for the cars makes aliasing a pain unless you super sample it from ridiculous levels and throw in shader AA as a final touch.

I don't think you can eliminate the TAA mode the game uses either it's hopefully not as bad as Mafia 3 where it's upscaling unless AA is at high but you get a more aggressive TAA mode too making it even more smoothed.
    It works for motion aliasing and image stability but the optimization makes it fast yet very noticeable although comparing to my own playthrough this is far sharper already.

EDIT: Well the new GPU's coming out should at least resolve some of this as TAA replaces the increasingly inefficient post-process FXAA or SMAA modes and MSAA let alone SSAA is either ineffective or too costly.

A good 4x4 instead of 2x2 scaling should help with FXAA or SMAA resolving the remaining aliasing since brute force scaling still can't resolve everything even at extreme levels.
    (1920 -> 7680 - 1080 -> 4320)

No way to combine that with fancy graphical features though, DLSS is using a form of TAA too now I believe so trying to go via AI super sampling assisted upscaling won't do either.

It's like back with Alien Isolation and this barrel distortion view effect coupled with a inefficient SMAA post-processes effect where no amount of downsampling ever seemed to be enough. :D
    (Throw that filter out though and then Alias Isolation for SMAA T2X TAA and that got close at least.)

EDIT: No wonder hotsampling is so popular among more enthusiast screenshot fans.
    Press button hope the GPU driver doesn't go crazy during the insane amount of work the card has to do then at 1 - 5 FPS per second conditions line up and take the image then press button to go back to regular resolution workloads.

Works really well though along with other specialized tools and such, Duncan of Dead End Thrills has a number of stories through Twitter and then the screenshot galleries of course.

Anyways I don't think the images are all that blurry there's the vehicle specular highlights and reflective properties but that's almost impossible to get resolved even under ridiculously extreme over the top downsampling methods.

Used to be simple, geometry aliasing add MSAA and fixed.
    Now there's texture aliasing, shader aliasing, specular aliasing and transparency aliasing to deal with and more. :D

EDIT: Horizon Zero Dawn
    [​IMG]

That's a horizon alright.

[​IMG]

And this robot chicken needed...these?
    (Eh makes for a nice filet of chicken breast I suppose.)

[​IMG]

Quite the garb there, quite the eye animation too unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    jbscotchman and kx11 like this.
  2. Sunset

Sunset Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    it's always the same game … ;)

pedropaulo likes this.
  3. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    With the same settings?

xrengine_2020_10_22_14_50_18_319.jpg xrengine_2020_10_22_14_50_26_759.jpg

Undying likes this.
  4. Sunset

Sunset Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    yes, but I had uploaded the images in low resolution, 1280 x 720, so they were blurred, now I have posted them in 4k;)

pedropaulo likes this.

5. DannyD

DannyD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080ti
  6. paulonone

paulonone Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Snowrunner

SnowRunner_2020_10_20_08_11_40_726.jpg SnowRunner_2020_10_20_08_23_35_067.jpg SnowRunner_2020_10_20_08_40_22_346.jpg SnowRunner_2020_10_22_08_36_46_329.jpg SnowRunner_2020_10_22_09_10_29_474.jpg

jbscotchman likes this.
  7. Sunset

Sunset Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming
    Mafia Definitive Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kx11 and sertopico like this.
  8. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    Still can't get this bloody game to work properly!!!

DannyD likes this.
  9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Pumpkin Jack

[​IMG]

DannyD likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

11. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Halo 4 test flight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JonasBeckman likes this.
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    And that's a wrap on Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fighting this thing.
    [​IMG]
    Sucks.

kx11, _rock_, Arabaldo and 1 other person like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Gonna have to check out Horizon Zero Dawn eventually. I love that Sony is bringing their exclusives to PC.

Maddness likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yep I look forward to exploring a few other titles that are rumored to happen but for now focus is going to be heavily on the new consoles although the current info is quite good albeit there's no time frame for when anything of this will happen.
    https://metacouncil.com/threads/met...f-stock-out-of-money.2205/page-31#post-191137
    I'm not so sure about rushed though, hopefully the pause in info is due to Sony deciding to redo the QA and not rush the development of whatever additional projects exist.
    They backtracked really fast after the oopsie with Demons Souls too but someone had to get that through the entire process before it got cut and the trailer re-released without that bit.
    [​IMG]

Horizon Zero Dawn after a few patches worked really well but I'm on a 5700 from AMD and they put a lot of RDNA specifics in the game to where Vega and earlier seemingly under perform instead.
    Working anisotropic filtering is the only major complaint I had otherwise it ran well but it's quite demanding on VRAM and framerate while good was not entirely perfect as passing 30 FPS causes a few issues.
    (Some of it's been resolved at least like hair physics and partial animation of characters and vegetation.)

Exploring Ghost of Tsushima with a stronger AMD 6000 or NVIDIA 3000 GPU would be fun being able to leverage downsampling perhaps too, God of War and Bloodborne are also recurring rumors but there's been no major confirmation or reveal on either of these even after months since that became known and the launch state of Horizon Zero Dawn I would assume to have delayed further porting plans plus now the new consoles are coming out so that's a time frame conflict and what to focus on from Sony so likely more focus on the PS5 launch for a while forward.

Horizon Zero Dawn thoughts here.
    As to HZD I'm not fully sold on the open world formula but they do dare to go with having a smaller but denser environment to explore and while there's collectibles and crafting side quests and exploration it's done in a way where it mostly avoids tedium and padding plus the side quests are also not too lengthy but quite well written and again there's a fair amount but nothing excessive.

I have some issues with the later story and some of the turns and twists but can't go into full spoiler territory on it either and well visually it shows it's age but the art direction and overall presentation and quality remains strong standing up to Witcher 3 for example even if it might lack some of the new fancy shaders and tech.
    (Something the sequel in the reveal trailer and footage has really improved on like character animations and skin shading or material properties and such along with general lighting and shadowing and all that.)

Impressive what was done for the Playstation 4 console and then the Pro I assume leverages higher resolution possibly downsampling and less dips in performance because that 30 FPS cap is still a thing but they built up quite a detailed game world so even without higher texture quality or other overhauls for the PC port it holds up fairly well even if it does show it's age a bit too.

Don't want to make this a super lengthy review or anything but I also found the gameplay a bit on the easy side but that's a given for these games it's tough to balance and the highest difficulty or New Game+ tunes the numbers a bit but it becomes more of a time thing than a real challenge.

The new Frozen Wilds encounters are built with that in mind though so the developers made some adjustments and tweaks as I understood it plus some improvements to gear and abilities and such.
    (Although in turn it is possible for players to use that to entirely steamroll the original game content but that's also nothing new.)

Worth a playthrough it's 30 - 40 hours I would estimate depending on how much of the game world one explores and decides to try and complete whether it's side quests or some of the collectibles plus a few hours for Frozen Wilds as well.
    Again it balances things pretty well it can be played at a pretty quick pace going through primarily the main story missions and a bit of exploration without feeling like it drags on too much or there's a ton of padding even if there's a bit of backtracking and some quests feel like they're just intermissions before things pick up for real.

Now then backlog wise, Borderlands 3 needs to be cleared up especially after they disappointed with the second season information and then .... every single game coming out in late October to mid November. :D

Ubisoft going crazy with their lineup so October and November for Watch_Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Phoenix a bit later in December and a few months later on Far Cry 6 for February all one after another.

Cyberpunk 2077
    Xuan Yuan Sword VII
    Yakuza 7 / Like a Dragon

Probably even more plus the indie games and smaller but nice looking titles like Rice and Ruin.

EDIT: Ah right Horizon Zero Dawn also has additional tools for screenshots but I think they are still Patreon bound far as I know at least, quite extensive especially with the limits of the default photo mode though I think it worked OK for what I ended up using it for.
    (Aliasing and anisotropic filtering as the primary issues visually, camera restrictions FOV and such as the usual recurring concerns for screenshot purposes.)

EDIT: Borderlands 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 (1) 1070 (2)
    scary stuff from Amnesia Dark Descent,best level so far
    playing on my potato hd630 igpu,gtx 1070 strix arriving this week,just in time for me to start the sequel

update:
    finished the game and found out about a remaster mod,looks amazing,might have to replay.
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-the-dark-descent-remastered
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

update 2: installed the remastered mod,it does look better.almost all textures and objects were reworked from grounds up,better shadows and light.have not gotten that far into second playthrough,but reflections looked great on yt videos.
    my igpu is stuggling to hit 20 fps tho
    hope my 1070 arrives tuesday

qhd max quality
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    JonasBeckman likes this.

16. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti OC Stri
    Not familiar with the Halo franchise 'cause I never had a gaming console. Will It Halo 4 actually look like this in-game? I Am interested but some of the gameplay videos show appalling graphics

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    This is the new build they are flight testing ("beta") to both XBox and PC, there's been re-releases on XBox for some of these but they're making a second pass and bundling it all together of sorts though I do not know what the end game plan is but in the process they've fixed a lot for the entire series of games now moved into this new system although it's not a full on remake though within some of the limits they do have and what they've prioritized it's sounding like they've made a lot of fixes and improvements.

Halo 1 CE, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach and now Halo 4 I assume with plans on a full launch early next year seeing how the holidays are coming up so unless it's close to ready I wouldn't expect to be released this year.

No idea about Halo 5 and I think the next one is Infinite but it's delayed due to feedback and how the trailer and early footage was received.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic....81c5e49b08bfe6ce38.1920x1080.jpg?t=1597173092

(It's targeting 60 FPS so that's going to be a thing but it still looked pretty dated from the example images up on the Steam product page for the game and overall quite rough.)

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They said all titles for the MCC would be released this year.
    If they are doing the flight for HALO 4, it'll release onto Steam most likely next month.

With all past titles, the flights happened a month before release.

19. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I am using Reshade but yeah those are ingame shots. Here's a comparison between vanilla and my Reshade:

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/7279

20. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    RDR2-3-min.jpg RDR2_2020_10_26_00_22_55_713-min.jpg RDR2_2020_10_26_00_14_44_771-min.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2