The Guru3D Screenshot Thread - RTFM! #27 - READ THE RULES IN 1ST POST

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _rock_

_rock_ Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080Ti
    NieR: Automata

[​IMG]

Elajitz likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Starcraft 2

So somehow we're going after some god now, this franchise seems to have had a lot of odd twists and turns as Blizzard expanded the lore over the years ha ha.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Game engine has aged a bit, shading makes things look a bit uniformly flat and plastic in terms of overall visuals although the higher poly cutscene models hold up somewhat better, nice use of shadows and post-processing for these scenes help a bit too, threading seems to be a bit of a limitation even with x64 and D3D11 support having been added so the cutscenes run pretty well but the game mode can be a but stutter prone during heavier fights although it's not too bad due to the games overall age even if the newer campaigns have added some new stuff.

3. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    SkyrimSE & Wildlands

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

_rock_ likes this.
  4. Sunset

Sunset Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 3070 TE OC
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands + Reshade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hellblade + Reshade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Project Cars 2 + Reshade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Susahamat likes this.

5. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was under the impression PJC2 looked like ass. Was that a console thing or something?

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Downsampling can really help even with older games, good camera angles and maybe some tuning in ReShade or similar can also give good results, Steam's screenshot gallery for games has a bit of both so you can see regular gameplay shots doing little more than pressing a button and more elaborate setups with anything from ReShade presets to third party utilities or scripts for full manipulation of the game from anything to the FOV and complete camera movement to toggling shaders and altering the time of day or weather.

Decent photo mode also helps if the game has something like that, Ansel seems to have been updated recently to combat some of the drawbacks with tiled rendering and post-process shaders being negatively affected too which should help make things easier for more people to take good looking screenshots. Aliasing can be a real pain on it's own for some of the newer games and for gameplay running the game at sub-30 or even single-digit FPS just to take a super-high-res image can be a a lot of work.

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Batman AK

[​IMG]

8. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    yeah UE4 is impressive SSR,Lighting,Shadow etc. i only complain is Anti aliasing implementation TAA makes blurring so much many loss detail in textures . im always to tackle combine with SSAA(r.ScreenPercentage=200 in Engine.ini) or Downsample is helping for detail
    and Texture Streaming issue,played some other games like (Hellblade,Observer etc) suffering with stutter when entering new area , tweaked poolsize doesnt helping on UE4 Engine. :(

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Middle Earth : Shadow of war

[​IMG]

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah the temporal AA's blurriness even at the highest quality level is pretty severe, it does reduce aliasing of objects and such in motion but downsampling is pretty much needed to offset said blurriness.
    Not too sure how the texture streaming is actually set up for UE4, probably altered from how it worked in UE3 likely meaning it's more efficient but also more conservative so you get these fade-in issues with textures being slower at fully loading in.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (Middle age indeed.) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The game has a free camera feature you can use with quite a extensive feature set, whatever little faffer set the movement to mouse drag/drop functionality though well that's just no good at all ha ha.

Looks pretty good though downsampling would remove some of the roughness and offset the temporal AA method the game is using, without the ultra textures the game seems to be keeping to under 6 GB RAM usage and 4 GB VRAM usage, with it enabled though RAM usage exceeds 10 GB and 8 GB of VRAM according to the in-game statistics screen for these values so be prepared for some stuttering if you don't have at least 16 GB RAM and 8 GB VRAM hardware. :)

SpecialK was also used to manipulate shaders a bit, I only did a quick test by toggling the hair on one early NPC you encounter though, ha ha.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

11. Calmmo

Calmmo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Temporal can look incredibly well with an adjustable sharpness filter, Warframe comes to mind, best implementation of TAA i've seen at least

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah you're right, I forgot about it but some games to offer that option, Dishonored 2 and it's stand-alone expansion for another example does have a pretty effective TAA sharpening slider which helps bring back some of the sharpness that would otherwise be removed by TAA when that's enabled. :)

Shadow of War
    [​IMG] The game has a number of these outline shader effects in the photo mode, just experimenting a bit here. [​IMG] This is just a bridge, tried getting some images of architecture here. [​IMG] And more buildings, tried for something of a city overview here. [​IMG] Animations do leave a bit to be desired but outside of photo mode it's usually too quick to notice. [​IMG] [​IMG] As with the first game the orcs are quite expressive, their British VO also stands out. [​IMG] One of the champion orcs, probably even more varied than in the first game now. [​IMG] A sculpture, stood out a bit but there were more in some parts of the actual city later on. [​IMG] That is not how you use that sword, guessing animations don't really matter as the player wouldn't be here without photo mode usage though.

EDIT: The duller color scheme and overall muted visuals does make at least this first area a bit bland looking, first game had that too although the second main area did help with how it focused more on greenery and vegetation, will be interesting to see how the other locations in the sequel have been set up. :)

EDIT: And the image descriptions got a bit out of alignment, must have skipped over one. Oops. :D
    (EDIT: Yep the dagger assassination one.)

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

(Well that was a bit of a piss-take ha ha, also don't use your sword like that or it might rust.)

Also can't really stick a screenshot of it but turning off shaders allows for toggling stuff like cloth and what not, turns out Gollum has quite a detailed arse, kinda surprising since you can't see that at all normally. :D
    (Oh the things you can learn even though you probably never wanted to in some games, alas Shelob so far has only been part of cutscenes, fooled me initially but then I looked and yeah that's a pre-recorded movie and not in-game.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  13. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2070
    WRC 7
    Maxed Out
    Images Downsampled from 3K
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Game is so much better that I expected it to be (based on previous WRC titles). Physics are very nice with the wheel and stages are very detailed!

14. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    How are you toggling shaders in this game? I tried 3Dmigoto but it's not working.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Viewing and inactivating shaders is handled by the SpecialK injector which to try to do something of a tutorial on how it works it looks like this when used for shader viewing in games:

So for Shadow of War you can have the game set up something like this:
    [​IMG]

And then you bring up the SpecialK in-game GUI which looks like this: (Hotkey for this is Ctrl+Shift+Backspace.)
    [​IMG]

And from the various options presented here you then open up the render tools as such. ->
    Which then shows this menu: (UI elements tend to be be vertex though pixel also work and sometimes toggles almost every element instead of finding multiple shaders for each individually.)

[​IMG]

Selecting any of these gives a handy overview and preview of what it affects:
    [​IMG]

So in the case of the Talions cape it shows up like this: (Draw on top also helps makes the current selected shader stand out even more.)
    [​IMG]

Ticking the box to not draw the selected shader then allows for selectively hiding pretty much whatever you want in the game:
    [​IMG]

In my case I primarily use it to hide the UI elements of games, anything from HUD information to things such as black-bars during cutscenes but it can also remove film grain, chromatic aberration and pretty much anything really.
    [​IMG]

Kaldaien the author of SpecialK has a full Github page up here:
    https://github.com/Kaldaien?tab=repositories

With the source code for SpecialK hosted on Gitlab here:
    https://gitlab.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/tags
    (Github initially, Github then deleted it after people reported it due to a feature for two Steam ID's being blacklisted, pretty sure that was removed entirely in later version of SpecialK along with methods for checking steam_api.dll for piracy concerns.)

Full Steam community discussion also exists for it here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods#announcements

One of the community members also made a more in-depth guide even if it's aimed more at the FAR version of SpecialK used in Nier Automata. :)
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=914437196

Readme file, Github and Gitlab documentation and the initial post in the Steam community section has most of the information on how you want to set up the utility, I use a more manual installation myself with the .dll used on a per-game install but a global injection is also possible with per-profile support and the newest versions have also improved shader viewing and editing to where it is possible to select multiple shaders and even set up a ini file for them for easier editing though currently this mostly just works for the DirectX 11 API though feature parity between that, DirectX 9 and OpenGL is planned eventually.

Has a lot of other useful features too from window management, setting up a waitable swap chain and swap discard features for improving latency and input lag and various functions drawing on the Steam API and plugin support with a modified version of ReShade also being available with some tweaks.

The newest update allows for setting up so you can skip the UI elements though I have not practiced much with this myself, still trying to learn but I'm slowly getting a better understanding of everything this utility can do, although I am mainly using it for various tweaks such as borderless windowed display mode and getting into learning how to work with these shader features. :)

Setting it up initially took a little bit of time but now it's pretty easy to manage though using the install manager via the SKIM software automates much of the initial installation and can also allow for using SpecialK as a global injector into a lot of other software.
    (But this can also conflict with third party utilities such as MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics Server so a delayed injection for AB/RTSS is helpful if you use that with this injector.)

EDIT: Added spoiler tags for the screenshot section as to reduce the size it took up.

EDIT: For Shadow of War well the camera control probably works best on a gamepad but the photo mode feature works pretty good out of the box for hiding UI elements and it then allows for setting different options from depth of field, vignette, backgrounds and logos and various effects in addition to also toggling if characters and creatures are to be drawn or not. (Still based on only a short distance away from the player character however, Cheat Engine or other camera utilities might be able to uncap that limitation though and allow for some really fancy screenshots.)

So I mostly use SpecialK to see what the shaders do, and some comedic effect (Read: Horror.) when a certain character showed up in-game instead of only existing as a pre-rendered cutscene so far ha ha.

Other games though such as say Ruiner for some earlier screenshots I took well it worked really well to remove the directional marker below the characters feet and the aiming cursor and other UI elements to try to get the game into a more hudless state for screenshots.

For Blue Reflection they use a black bar during cutscenes which can also be removed and for other games I've used it to remove chromatic aberration and film grain.

Evil Within 2 might be a candidate for this again, Wolfenstein New Colossus however is going to be using OpenGL though so it won't help with that game and Vulkan and DirectX 12 support is also not fully implemented in SpecialK.
    (If API parity can be achieved that should allow for a lot of interesting things regardless of D3D9 or D3D11 or OpenGL so I'm definitively looking forward to seeing what future versions of SpecialK can add.)

EDIT: For 3D Migoto I wonder if they are running into the same issue Unwinder had with Afterburner or rather Rivatuner for getting OSD supported as the game turned out to be using a different DirectX feature level if available drawing upon some 12_0 functions for DX11, this is not something I have any expertise on myself though but it could be what is causing it to not work depending on how well 3D Migoto is handling these newer D3D feature levels. :)
    (Also just to have it mentioned the game is not actually using DirectX 12 directly.)

EDIT: And some screenshots since I was already in the game when I took the above images as to show how the shader functionality works.

Although I played around a bit with the Coloring Book filter effect and whatever that yellow tone one was called, Pop something I think it was.

[​IMG] (Pretty standard shot, just to start with something but with a bit of work the game probably offers a lot of interesting screenshot material.)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Not too fond of this yellow colored effect, characters certainly "pop" but the environments are just bad looking with it.)

(And somehow Talion just looks more bad-ass without the long flowing hair, baldness works pretty well in my opinion but the default hair style isn't bad or anything.)

EDIT: But just as with ReShade these outline effects are pretty dependent on pixels, downsampling would be really useful to avoid artifacts and other display problems with the effect.

Regular shots with just a little bit of editing either from ReShade or the photo-mode features also preserves details such as textures and such, this is more situational and for fun.

And just as with the first game the environments are pretty impressive too, dynamic weather and different time of day setups also really improves the atmosphere in these locations so it's going to be fun to see what other places the game has in store later on.

BetA and Xanvast like this.

16. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks for the info, I guess it's not really practical if I wanted to toggle the UI with this because you can't bind it to a hotkey?

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah, macro-management via key bindings are planned but I do not know quite which form the feature will take, the idea appears to be that you can set up key bindings for a number of the OSD functions so via this it would be possible to call the d3d_shaders.ini file where saved shader states can be stored and refreshing or altering this should allow for something similar (Shader on, shader off.) though perhaps not as easily as with how some other utilities handle these states.
    (GeDoSaTo comes to mind, the toggles in 3D Migoto are probably not too different either.)

There's not too many utilities like these either, Cheat-Engine is flexible but requires a per-game application setting up the table for different addresses and such and any single update to the game risks breaking functionality for example.
    3D Migoto is probably the best for now but some games do have compatibility issues which the authors need to then resolve and release updates for.

For SpecialK it's a bit broader in scope doing a little bit of everything after starting as a simpler utility for managing some of the Steam features but then growing over time and having branched off into projects such as FAR, UnX and TS or TZ Fix with game specific implementations for certain fixes which then might make their way back into SpecialK again (Texture caching via RAM, texture injection and dumping, shader viewing and editing and more.) I've definitively found it to be useful and it's actively developed so I'm very interested in seeing what more it will be capable of and having existing features spread across different graphics API's allowing for even more flexibility in what it can offer for some games.

I'm pretty sure it currently doesn't have that many hotkeys and cvars though it has a few (Toggling certain GUI menus directly, calling some options via cvars and setting those that way.), user customizable key bindings and setting up toggling of more specific UI functions would be useful and I believe there's some plans in this regard already, I need to check if this has changed in any more recent released version too as I might have missed it.

EDIT:
    some Middle Earth - Shadow of War screenshots.

[​IMG]
    (The amount of blood effects generated from the shock-wave of this hammer attack gets pretty silly at times.)

[​IMG]
    (Cuddles the screamer, some of these captain designs are absolutely hilarious, and no I don't remember his actual name but I DO remember screamer as his title and it was accurate indeed.)

[​IMG]
    (And in pop-up form, different coloring and this could be something like the effect in 300 ha ha.)

[​IMG]
    (Another orc captain introduces himself, guess he ran out of piercing places for his ear.)

[​IMG]
    (The drakes make a introduction, a steady supply of ghost-elf arrows though and they're manageable.)

[​IMG]
    (And in color book format, upped the render res to 3840x2160 so a bit less aliased but I had to drop the texture pack as the stuttering was becoming too noticeable to keep the game playable.)

[​IMG]
    (Yes one of the possible ranged weapon combinations is a hammer, works the same as the bow though.)

[​IMG]
    (Another of the outline shaders, more experimentation than anything just to see how it would look.)

[​IMG]
    (And the "pop" shader, kept the hair for Talion here though, ha ha.)

Steam community section has some truly impressive environmental images now too, in-between everyone screenshoting spider-woman because well that's popular too despite so far it's only been pre-rendered cutscenes.
    (A certain warped halfling err hobbit wasn't quite as lucky though, though players probably weren't meant to see that, or wanted to for that matter ha ha!)

EDIT: Plenty of kill cam shots too for that matter, orcs are quite expressive although a screenshot can't capture their distinct British dialect which well that's the same as the first game but it fits the game.
    (Makes them a bit comic too I suppose, not the easiest for the game to try and balance humor and dark and serious matters so it does get a bit goofy at times even if it's not entirely intended.)

EDIT: But that's more than enough shots of the game from me for the moment, Evil Within 2 should come out on Friday I believe and from what I've heard and seen from the PC version so far it's looking like it should be a entertaining shooter, err horror game. (Well they try but I have some doubts whether the game can be genuinely horrifying or not, should be fun either way though whether I'm hunted by the monstrosities or if I'm hunting them for loot and other supply items which is what it inevitably turns into heh.)

18. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    LOTR ROTK 4K DS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. _rock_

_rock_ Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1080Ti