The Guru3D S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by RemCo, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Prepare urslef to be BALD! :( . many of had that kind of script problem.

2. n1hilist

n1hilist Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I have very long hair, so I think I have lot of leeway :D

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i think iam going to stop playing clearsky. i still have a progress on the f┼črst game. maybe wait for patch and finish the first game.

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    running 1.5.04 , traveling to the swamps i get no crash, game has been stable as a rock and no bugs except a couple of flashing textures mainly on the wall which isn't a show stopping problem.

again, XP 64bit here and as i said framerates rarely drop below 40-45fps for me maxed out except Vsync = off.

the game is buggy according to most gamers but i haven't suffered anything major like a crash, bsod, or sudden lag. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008

5. RemCo

RemCo Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 512MB
    The game is running stable with me too on Vista 64.

I tested the trick I posted yesterday and it works.
    Before doing it my processor was running like this,
    Core 1 = 90-99% in use
    Core 2 = 10-20% in use(mostly below 15%)

After doing the trick it was running,
    Core 1 = 30-45% in use
    Core 2 = 55-80% in use

I did not see any fps improvements but I only tested one area and still need to test different area's to see any fps difference there.
    But at least the 99% usage of 1 core is gone:)

You got to check when you are gaming,I used Everest to check CPU usage and could see huge differences in core usage on my G15 LCD screen while I was gaming.

Yes I thought it was time for an CPU upgrade and my motherboard is a good clocker,I could get my E6300 at 3.6Ghz and thats an 100% overclock too bad I only could get it stable at 3.4Ghz.
    I can boot with this processor at 4.5Ghz but it wont do any test and 4.2Ghz passes every test I did so I settled for 4.2Ghz:)

6. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The game looks awful, imo, without AA in 1680x1050, i dont think changing to an even higher res is an option for most people these days (most people use TFT's). I saw the game on my friends 24" (1900-something res, there were still jaggies all over the place, didnt look any better)

Just ordered a ATI 4870 x2, anyone tried it with AA with this card, is it still unplayable?

7. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    I got the game and sadly don't have time to tweak the games settings so that a i get the best performance with the best framerate, do any of you gurus have a similar system as mine and if you own this game, what have you found to be the best settings, thanks for the help.

8. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I use Enhanced Full Dynamic Lighting (DX10). Sun Quality, Sun Rays, SSAO can be put on Low, you won't see much difference at all and they have a big impact on performance on higher settings.

Everything else you should put on highest, except "Lighting Distance" which you could use on half or lower.

9. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    Whoa this is a huge thread, i didnt read all of it and maybe what i post has been said already, but i am so frustrated that i feel the need to post this.

I am not going to deal with the gfx/performance/tweaking part of the game.I had no crashes or glitches or whatever else so far.But even if i did i wouldnt mind that much, because what matters to me is GAMEPLAY and thats where my whining starts :D

After only playing through the swamps and some part of The Cordon area i have noticed numerous gameplay issues with this game.First of all i play it at Master difficulty[i always play all my games at max difficulty] and the game is not difficult..its just frustrating.
    Things like :
    1.The infamous grenade spam by the npc's i been reading in various forums[i will not go into details for this 1.i am sure u have all experienced it:)]
    2.The ridiculous accuracy of the npc's.One day they are doing headshots from 200 yards away and the other day u shoot em from point blank range and they just stand there doing nothing
    3.Getting shot from behind trees[i accept that wish i could do it too tho] BUT also behind solid walls.Not to mention that running for cover from a grenade[which always land between ur feet] behind a solid wall gives u damage and very often even kills u from 100% health[imagine that in tight spaces and getting spammed with grenades]
    4.Saving while in cover from npc's during a fight and when reloading having the npc stand right infront of ur face[either shooting u or just doing nothing like ur invisible].This 1 doesnt happen THAT often tho,so no biggie
    5.Artifacts are virtually uselles,imo they are too weak and not worth the fuss finding them[just like with the 1st stalker game].Which is an irony for a game whos story relies and evolves around artifacts,thats the purpose of the Zone and the Stalkers in the first place
    5.Oh and i forgot to mention that[also imo again] the knife is useless[only maybe for busting crates so u dont spend ammo] and so are the silencers on pistols,since the npc's can see u from 300 YARDS AWAY no matter if you are crouching, no matters if ur inside bushes or no matter if its day or night.You simply cant get close to the npc's,which limits the gameplay to mindless shooting and removes stealth entirely

These are my major concerns and i am frustrated because i actually like this game[like i did with the first stalker].I like the atmosphere,the story and the gfx.
    Please dont missunderstand my post.its NOT a "its too hard" whining or dont reply with "play in easier difficulty" cause i have played lots and lots of games on the hardest difficulty
    but i have never been so frustrated as in this particular game

Maybe the only hope is to w8 for 1.05 patch and hope it fixes some of these major[imo] issues

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post :eek:

10. n1hilist

n1hilist Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Dunno what to do now, I'm in the depot (stalkers control it now) I've just come out of 'the hole' and I keep getting that bloody script error, even if I just leave the controls alone and stand there.

:mad:

11. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    To play this game after release is ruining the gameplay imo. I waited 1+ year extra to play stalker, modded and patched, never regretted it, it's one of my best gaming experiences.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Just stay out of their line of sight, I've been able to sneak up on enemies numerous times, especially @ night. Look @ them with your binocs from a safe distance and approuch them from their backs.

13. Adial

Adial Member Guru

GPU:
    AsusENGT 240
    well going to the cordon for the first time, i got face to face with this military base that also had a machine gun emplacement.the road was narrow..sticking to the left or to the right was impossible. i was getting owned by that mashine guns the second my nose appeared aroumd a rock or whatever cover i was trying to find.
    so in this specific case "going around em " was impossible.i had to go back to the swamps and go into the cordon from another entrance
    plus..staying out of their line of site isnt my kind of realism..line of sights should have limits
    and always staying behind their backs/line of sight once again limits the options and ways to approach a base/area
    pay attention tho..line of sight has nothing to do with how far u see..but in clear Sky they seem to be the same thing

14. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)
    i tweaked mine so that it is playable but my god if i enable those sun shadows there goes all performance and the worst thing is that sun shadows make the game look real nice. Oh well i think i am going to beat crysis warhead first that game looks better and performs at about the same on my pc.

15. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    @remco

i do monitor the cores when gaming, i do know how to reduce the res and turn of monitor scaling and i know how to turn off the fullscreen option in the cs menu so i can monitor taskmanager when gaming.

and it deos only use 1 core the other little blips you see on the core is vista doing its thing.

maximum core use i saw was bout %60 for a few seconds and i even tried the start when the game is most demanding. the xray engine was not designed to multithread.

16. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    Give this a try if you're having performance problem. It makes a lot of difference. Works for dual cores too.

source:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725684

Originally Posted by fleischer444
    This helps me in getting equal load on all 4 cores.

As you can see we have 100% load on 1st CPU core and 0-10% on 2nd and so on with multicores CPU used. Just want add some hint about this trouble:

- start game and wait for intro start playing or game menu displayed
    - press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for call Task Manager (if it doesn't try ALT+TAB, WINKEY or CTRL+ALT+DEL and start it way you do)
    - in Task Manager go to "processes tab" and find xrEngine.exe press RMB on it then select "Affinity" - you will see that all cores are used
    - unselect all cores except 1st press "OK"
    - now enter xrEngine.exe Affinity settings again and select all cores back to use then press "OK"
    - press ALT+TAB to switch back in STALKER process
    - now play and see the difference on ingame cores load - on AMD/Intel multicore CPUs i have seen 50-70% for

17. NN1T1NN

NN1T1NN Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 280 (700/1200)

that definitely works, wow got my framerates way up, thank you so much.

18. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Why do you people care about A/A?
    All it does is tax your GPU to heck!
    With the resolutions used today you don't need it.

19. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Maxed out on DirectX 9 over here. I'm already in Red Forest :)

20. vurt

vurt Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    In THIS game it kills performance by at least 50%, but it's not normal.

..with bigger resolutions comes bigger screens, with a bigger screen the jaggies are even more evident, on my 22" in 1680x1050 the jaggies are horrible. The game looks fantastic with full AA, but it's not playable.

Anyways, AA ONLY works in DX10 and it only works with the in-game AA settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.