The Guru3D Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Cartman372, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nope...

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    A simple driver update will not do that. It would take a patch to correct this, and quite a big patch too as some of the games code would need to be changed. I hate games like this that get ported over to PC and they dont spend enough time on it to fully ensure it runs to its best. Consoles rely more on their CPU than their GPU and vice versa for PC's this is why the game runs like crap. Rockstar need to release a patch and soon, I wanted to check this game out on PC as I thought the console version was extremely poor.

3. midas51276

midas51276 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 880 GTX in SLI
    After putzin' around with this for a while I managed to get this game running at an ok FPS (40+)and decent looking visuals. To start with, I brought everything down to it's lowest setting, that's 800 x 600 and everthing else around 1 or low.

The first thing I did was to increase my res to 1680 x 1050. Everything else still on lowest setting.

Next i found that i could change the Texture quality, render quality, detail distance, shadow density & even vehicle density to HIGH and not have any effect on my RESOURCE USAGE which of course we like to be green.

The biggest hit, for me at least, was increasing the VIEW DISTANCE. My view distance is at 12 & I would sure as hell like it to be 100!! I am currently downloading the Nvidia 180.84 beta drivers to see if I have any improvement.

The game runs pretty good and to top that off I installed and ran Nhancer and forced the GTA profile to run with an AA setting of 8x Multisampling. Worked and am enjoying it.

I am holding out hope that future driver & patch updates let me increase my veiw distance... Hope this helps someone & not just me...

4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    It seems to me that they spent a lot of time making it run well on 4850s, and nothing else.

edit: so I added -rsaa 4 to the commandline.txt and bad stuff happened. Performance was cut in half, textures and models were missing, and I got a fatal error.

edit: midas51276, try the fed0r crack. Fixed the game + performance issues for me.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008

5. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Hey I don't have the game yet but have people downloaded the latest nvidia drivers. They are the beta 180.84's and I think I am going to reinstall vista again and see how they are on my rig with farcry 2 this weekend if I get a chance. Currently I am running xp pro x64 and I have vista U x64 sitting on the shelf because I never like it once it is running. Damn bloatted POS!

6. Alwinp

Alwinp Active Member

GPU:
    4870 512MB
    Man, i hear so much bad stuff about this game that i'm really glad i haven't bought it.

This is the GTA3 experience all over again.
    It used to be slow as hell on ps2 and up to date pc's back then couldn't fully run it either.

7. USFORCES

USFORCES Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780 SLI @ 2560x1600
    Actually the game rocks, couple little bugs at first but once you figure them out it's all good I emailed RockStar and I got 2 emails back within a couple hours on how to fix my issues.

8. Fear_Of_Dreams

Fear_Of_Dreams Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB (capless)
    Look at the bright side guys. Theres always at least one computer out there that PC games are optimzed to run on.

But sadly, more often than not companies leave you with sad faces when you dont have that certain setup :(

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm so pissed, i didn't receive GTA4 yet, not thursday nor friday, maybe this morning if not it's monday. :rolleyes: bah.

[​IMG]

10. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    What's this video clip feature....where is it at

11. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Been playing the game for a few hours, have to use a crappy 1152x864 resolution on my 1680x1050 LCD. There are so many jaggies, I doubt even AA would help. I should be able to run at 1680x1050 with my 320MB Card and have decent graphics. All other new games can do it, why cant this game?

What is with the terrible Shadows? They look like the Spray Paint tool in MSPaint! Plus they wave/scan horizontally as you move. Worst shadows Ive ever seen! FarCry2 shadows look 1000% better!

The key assigns are buggy, I cant assign ENTER and BACKSPACE (I like using the arrow keys) and its not possible to use the same keys for OnFoot and Vehicle with some controls. It seems like every game that has the new Microsoft LIVE crap has totally stuffed up the key assigning (same story with FarCry2 and Fallout3). I'm now forced to use WASD which I find annoying to use.

But other than that, its a great game! The gameplay and acting are great, there are lots of cool cars, physics are well done, missions are well designed.

However the car physics need fixing. The cars take waaaaaay to long to Brake and its very easy to spin out and loose control. I swear I was going 15km/h and skidded for 50 meters as if my car weighed 10 tons! wtf lol

Obviously a Patch is needed really bad..

12. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I can't do it as I haven't purchased the game, but has anyone tried patching Live (xlive.dll and renaming any .cat files linked to it from the GTA4 folder)? Perhaps the Live service is ruining the game and the 200K "Wacko the Bute" copy wrecking system.

13. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    Do those Nvidia drivers have any other effect on other apps?

Do I need to do a full install for them? I.e. take down the current ones???

tnx

14. Ekajaya"VaLvE"

Ekajaya"VaLvE" Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    I can play the game just fine, no texture missing, no hiccups, no BSOD, no error, lucky me :p
    And the multiplayer, is soooo fun.
    Heres a simple video i made because i love this game. Make sure to watch it in HD quality. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsodbAYMYcM

15. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Maybe Quads with a large amount of RAM and graphics RAM make all the difference. It could also be that certain hardware configs, codecs and/or retail version run much better than Steam version or certain DVD drives have problems with the "copy wrecking software". Maybe some versions are rightly or wrongly detected as pirate versions.

I'm just going to wait for a patch and my new hardware to arrive.

16. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Securom does screw this game, as said a couple of pages back. Using the crack fixed it for me and at least one other person.

17. Eric1987

Eric1987 Banned

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Yes they could you ****ing kidding me? I remember when my friend first got it on his Geforce mx200. He was able to run damn near close to maxed out. My old ass built in video card on my dell was able to run it at the lowest.

18. GT40Nutcase

GT40Nutcase Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward HD 4870 1GB
    R* can say what they say but this game needs to be fixed, not our systems as they appear to think..

The release of the game is just broken. I mean we (even those gamers with very powerful systems) have to modify our Vista installations (Search tool and Superfetch etc.) just to get some 30-50fps. Then all those Clip recordings sucking our fps down... C'mon R*! Fix the game for the PC's as 95% of the all gamers know it's not their systems... IT'S your game that doesn't cut it..... :rolleyes:

19. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    Still no AA on GTA: IV with 180.84 :(. Did someone that manage to make it work? (I mean really, please post sceenshot)

20. happydonut

happydonut New Member

GPU:
    Okay.

Game is running amazingly on my computer

Q6600 2.4 ghz

8800 gts

4 gigs of memory (3.2 thanks to xp)

antec 900 case with 5 120mm fans and the biggun on the top

in-game settings :

1280x960 (60mhz)

View Dist 22
    Detail Dist 20
    Vehicle Density 20
    Shadows 3

Textures Medium
    Rendering Medium

But I do have one weird problem and want to know if anyone else has it

The water in the world

Looks like a big bunch of jello, moving up and down as one big gelatinous glob.

I know it looks wrong because I played on 360 and the water was awesome.

So does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing that?

Codecs maybe? It just seems really strange. I have googled 'gta 4 water' every day since it came out to see if ANYONE else had this problem and so far nobody else seems to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.