The Guru3D Grand Theft Auto IV (PC) Thread - Pt.2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by aircool, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Woot I pre-ordered the DLCs. Can't wait! SLI better work I have high high high hopes. Playing GTA4 near 60 fps would be damn awesome lol

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I'm thinking bout it

only £23 on amazon

wonder what teh steam prices will be.

3. mehdi

mehdi Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    So anyone know how much vram the game uses maxed out at 1920x1080 you can see it in the video menu ingame if anyone has a monitor with 1920x1080 im getting one next week.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i have 1920*1080 aka FULL HD, 24" Monitor. most of the settings r MAX but dont know some of them dont let me ENABLE them due limitations? now it uses 98* MB of RAM..

i really now want ot learn what u r upto?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I hit a bit over 1.5 (GB that is.) at everything max with my 22" 1680x1050 resolution so 2GB+ is not exactly impossible at higher resolutions.
    (It actually goes above 2GB and crashes with a out of memory error after a while if I use the "native trainer" to teleport around without giving the game a chance to properly unload older data first, hah that has to be the only game to full be able to hit RAM, GPU and CPU once you start pushing the settings.)

(Command line parameters like -maxmem 1.5 or something like that can add a bit of the system RAM as GPU RAM but system ram is kept pretty busy as well so I have not tried it, use a few others though like high quality reflections and others, many "bluff" and "fake" values reported as well which don't do anything like say - or +DX10 which is a Windows command I think, doesn't really do anything in most games though, similar to /high which is used for process priority although that one is a bit more useful, ha.)

6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I found its best to setup the game gfx in a way that it uses about 50 - 75 % of your gfx ram. I got about 800MB and whenever i use a setup using more than 500MB the game get blackouts after 1 hour and i have to restart PC to get rid of it.

If the game uses 500MB it runs ok for hours.

7. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Works fine with me using more memory than I have...

8. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Holy **** guys they totally screwed GTA 4's performance with the new patch. I'm now getting 20 fps at places I was getting 50-60 fps. It's insane it's totally screwed. It's the first time in my life I'm seeing a patch do this THIS BAD.

It was suppose to improve performance and now my whole FPS got cut in half.
    That's how I feel right now :puke2:

9. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Okay there is a new shadow bug with the new patch. Since it happens in GTA 4 original (I don't have EFLC yet), I'll post the bug here, I captured it in screenies.

Basically for some reason the trees and bushes gets darker when looking at certain places and angles.

[​IMG]

Then, just by turning a few pixels the camera, I get this :

[​IMG]

So it happens randomly and sometimes my whole game just get locked @ 20 fps forever.

10. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Sounds like a transparency issue.

I don't think GTA4 calculates sun shadows during the nighttime, so if you get 20 fps near a tree or fence it may related to transparent objects.

Try to get in a helicopter and fly high above the city. There shouldnt be transparent objects that high. :)

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    When it gets locked to 20FPS it sounds like it could be your GPU crapping out and going into recovery mode if you have to restart to get it back to normal. Check the clocks in Afterburner or Rivatuner when that happens, see if the clocks get reduced.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

It might be related to their new Night Shadows system. By the look of it, it seems that leaves and stuff like that are getting shadow casting, which doesn't make sense. Looks like engine bug to me.

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well it only happens when trees and bushes are getting darker. It's weird bug really, I have no explanation so far. I'll test more this afternoon.

14. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Do you have shadow density max? When I had it on max I wasnt able to see the lights from the car while driving...lol. It hits performance too, I have on zero now and for me it looks better and I got some fps free :)

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Ok, The last set of ATI beta drivers finally cured the stuttering for me completely...... Now I've just installed this patch and the game now runs like its got a pebble in its shoe..... ITS WORSE THAN EVER!!

FFS....

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

They totally killed the game's performance. I want the old shadow system where I could put Very high shadows with decent framerates. Now I'm stuck on High shadows with worst performance.

Rockstar lost -1000 points.

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    What winds me up more is the fact that gfwl says you will be signed out if you dont download this update... i mean talk about forcing it down your throat

18. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    GFWL is a piece of complete trash. They limit the amount of times you can log in with your key, so if your format often your screwed, 10 times total. Hence why I do NOT support GFWL titles anymore, not after the original GTAIV. What a mistake that was.

19. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i still can`t get the update, its not giving me the option :(

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As far as I know it keys are reusable after a while and once it's on your LIVE account profile it's just a matter of entering the serial again (Should the data be missing due to a format removing local profile info.) without any such limitations. :)
    (Just what I've read though, I know version 3.2 made it more strict as well.)