The Guru3D Far Cry 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Irish Pilot, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I pre-apologize, but I haven't read every page and post in this thread, and hopefully this question hasn't been answered...

I purchased FarCry2 a couple days ago and installed it. I was getting the black full-window right after the last logo screen, and I tried all the fixes to get it going, including changing the "Disable Visual Themes" under Compatibility > Settings, tried Razor's .exe as well as renaming the .exe to several different programs that are Crossfire enabled.
    I finally got it working - and I couldn't tell you how I did it since I was in fester-cluck mode and probably did 7 things at the same time...just next thing I know, it was working.

But, now I've got a pretty serious problem - this as well as Deep Space artifact so badly that I can't see a thing at all...pixels and textures stretching off the corners of the screen in every direction.
    Now, I'm no newcomer to graphics cards or games, and I've seen graphical corruption of this magnitude before...I've been overclocking these things since they were invented and I've seen more than my fair share of memory artifacting and core popping...but here's the strange thing: I can play Crysis and Warhead just fine.

I was thinking that my HS/f assembly on my 4870X2 probably could use a fresh layer of AS5 between it and the GPUs (I actually did this BEFORE installing it in my computer back when it came out), and a thorough check of the memory ICs, so I tore it apart and nothing out of the ordinary was visible...aside from one of the copper heatsinks was a little different from the one GPU getting hotter more often due to Folding via GPU.

After putting it all back together, my temps are right in line with the first day that I replace the thermal compound...idle at 34*C, and the highest temp is Slave1 of the VDDC at 51*C - full load is (and has been) 53*C for the GPUs, and 74*C for the VDDC's - so I *know* it's not the card overheating and causing this corruption, especially combined with the fact that Warhead and Crysis both play just fine without any problems whatsoever (tested Warhead for a full 3 hours yesterday and Crysis for a good 30 minutes) - FarCry2 and Dead Space BOTH have the same graphical corruption...FarCry2 right after the last logo screen (when the game actually starts and you're in the jeep with the guy) and Deep Space right from the first screen that pops up (I can't even tell what's actually on the screen at all) - *both* games audio is just fine, and I've tested using AA/AF in every combination along with AI disabled, enabled and every other setting that I could tweak in game and in drivers.

I'm currently using the 8.10 Hotfix drivers, but I've tried the standard CCC 8.10, and the CCC 8.9 and still get this same graphical corruption.

Any ideas? It's driving me nutz that I've paid $100 for a couple highly anticipated games and can't even get past the logos. Makes me wonder if I even dare get Fallout3 (yet another highly anticipated game)

A little more info, I've run Furmark without fail, 3DMark Vantage and 3DMark 06 without fail, UniGine and Lightsmark without fail, as well as played Crysis, Warhead, COD4, Frontlines, GRAW2, Rainbow6 Vegas, Mass Effect, Turok and TimeShift - ALL without any problems at all...so I'm positive it's not the card, but the artifacting that I'm seeing has *always* been indicative of memory overheating failure...but only on these 2 games??
    wtF?

If anyone has any input, I'd *really, really* appreciate it!!

Psychlone

2. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I advise anyone with an oc pc to make sure your completely orthos stable for this game. I for one was crashing to desktop every other minute on this game until I checked for consistency with orthos. Now that I'm stable I havent had a CTD since, just my 2c.

3. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Psychlone, disable all overclocking, and run Memtest to check for stability, and disable SLI/Crossfire, and update the Mainboard BIOS

4. Spaznick

Spaznick New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia geforce 8800gt 512
    Wow, I finally finished the game, if you're enjoying the game now, you will just LOVE the final mission.

5. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    Additional notes to those with startup/crashing/gfx-corruption/sound-related
    problems, (Caution) *if* you are running Vista(either flavour).

Once you are sure, you have installed all chipset/sfx/gfx drivers for your
    hardware to the latest versions (or in contrast, those you *know* are working
    with all your other games) make it an good habbit to keep around
    and re-install DirectX August 08 (= DX10 + DX9) *and* after that
    DirectX 9.0c November 07. Do this after every driver change! (Its fast and
    not much hassle)

The reason being is, that many games force an DirectX install on your setup
    which is a) unwanted (because *you* know, what you installed, right?)
    and b) somehow *Vista* cant handle DirectX very well and *very* frequently
    it gets totally f*cked-up, leaving you to wonder, why suddenly some
    of your games dont work anymore/at all. Try it.
    -

Second, if you have one of the latest mainboards and *first* used your
    onboard Audio (whatever flavour and *again*, under Vista) and *then*
    decided to add an dedicated card (such as I moved from ASUS Supreme FX II
    to X-Fi Fatality) chances are great, you have some leftover driver from the
    onboard Audio under 'programs and features';..namely
    'Host OpenAL driver' or somesuch. Remove this, as it is known to cause an
    miriad of problems with either sound in general or BSODs galore.
    -
    Remove this, remember to re-install *both* DirectX versions mentioned above
    after *every* driver change gfx or sfx related and; as already mentioned,
    dont overclock too much, if at all. Some notches down often
    work wonders! ;)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  6. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Yeah, because there are no respawning enemies, that puts this mission above the rest of the game.

7. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Just curious guys, how many hours do you think you invested into the game to finish it? I only ask because I've had it since it was released and I've been playing about 1.5-2hrs a night and I just barely finished the "tutorial mode", right after getting pills for your malaria (don't laugh guys I'm just slow and enjoy exploring)! But in all seriousness how many hours did you play a day, just wondering! Great game by the way, I'm really enjoying it and can't wait to play some more!

8. esocid

esocid New Member

GPU:
    evga Geforce 8800gts 512
    [​IMG]

For anyone naysaying vehicle spawn bugs.

[​IMG]

I took the boat there, and had to take the jeep out for the obvious reason.

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks CJ, but I've been Orthos stable at 3.51GHz since the Phenom 9850BE launch, but the thought did already cross my mind, so not only did I recheck my stability with Orthos, OCCT, Prime95 (*4), wPrime and Memtest at 3.51GHz (just to verify that I'm still stable) - but I've already tried to reduce my overclock and run the game at the Phenom's default 2.5GHz...and no joy.

Enabling and disabling Crossfire on a dual-GPU card is as simple as turning off Catalyst AI - but these cards are a bit different than running 2 separate cards since there's two GPUs that are hardware crossfired together...you *can* turn off Crossfire, but either way it doesn't make a difference (most games are well above the 30FPS threshold with only 1 GPU pumping, so there's no noticeable increase in playability with both GPUs running - for most games, and neither way seems to do anything with this game or Dead Space)

I just can't figure out how it's only these 2 games and nothing else unless it's driver-specific...every other game I have works just fine, but from other forums, I've only read of a few other people with dissimilar systems having this exact problem - from nVidia to ATi to Intel to AMD...seems that there's nothing in common between us.

Psychlone

10. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Were they all running Vista? Perhaps its an Aero or Tablet feature problem.

I'm running XP SP2 and the game has been 100% stable.

11. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    @ Psychlone,
    I wouldnt trust OCCT very much, it would say id pass then I wouldnt pass orthoes for the 3-4th hour.. If your good at memtest for 2 passes, great! Then if you can pass 10-11 hours of orthoes ram and cpu stress test then yeah you should be good to go.

12. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @ CJ: Nope - I forgot to mention that in my last post - from XP SP2 to Vista SP1 and everything in between - there's no rhyme or reason.

@ Straykatt: I'm far above and beyond that - I've been overclocking since it took jumpers and solder guns - a lot longer than more than two-thirds of the members here have been alive, so I know the ropes...and I don't consider a system stable unless it will pass a 24 hour run of Orthos Stressprime at priority10 blend, 4 threads of wPrime 1024, and the full battery of Memtest86+...so it's not my overclock.
    ...and I should add that my card isn't overclocked at all - after running a bunch of tests and seeing the kinds of FPS that this card was already getting at stock speeds, I realized that the chase for that extra few points in benchmarks wasn't worth any effort at all.

Thanks for the input though.

Psychlone

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    did you try to Edit the file 'C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\GamerProfile.xml', and change the setting Maximized="0" to Maximized="1" ? or perhaps the other way around.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol....;)

My guess would be the game itself more than the drivers - I'm not that savy with the programming/coding side of IT so it's an educated guess really.
    I do know that there was an issue with WOW that was specific to Nvidia 6800's or 6 series Cards. (can't remember exactly but I know it was one of the two).
    That's how I scored my old 6800GT cheaply, because the guy selling it thought it was faulty but I knew that it was an incompatability issue between the game and his card.

Have you tried AA disabled? I read somewhere tthat another guy was having trouble with texture corruption and disabling AA fixed it. Is your game from Razor or just the .exe file??

15. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    Perhaps the Video Card is faulty, but only when certain instructions are ran. Since every game is different, they use the Video Card differently, resulting in corruption in some circumstances. This often happens when people enable features that were disabled in the factory.

Sell the ATI and get an nVidia :p (ducks for cover)

16. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    I guess I've been lucky because I've had zero problems with the game since I started playing and the performance is great! I'm playing with every single setting in the game maxed out @ 1920 x 1200 and its perfectly playable and looks great I think! With that said I would suggest that these bugs might be caused by something other than the game (or if it is the game its some type of incompatibility issue between the game and OS or game and drives, or game and etc...)? Just my opinion but at least under WinXP Pro SP2 with driver version 180.43 its running perfect! The only annoyance I have is while being in the menu screen of the game, the mouse acts very weird and its hard to click on settings because of it? I don't now if that is considered mouse lag or what but its very annoying (thankfully it doesn't happen while playing the game)! Koroush at Tweakguides will be putting up a Farcry 2 guide soon and hopefully his guide will help us to work out any of these issues we're having.

17. P0NYSLAYSTATION

P0NYSLAYSTATION Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 512MB
    I have 2 problems that I would appreciate some help with:
    1. The activation key given by Steam contains numbers, which Far Cry won't allow when I'm trying to make an online profile, and
    2. When I use any kind of gun turret I cannot get off unless I heal myself

18. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Interesting problems you have there, haven't heard of either of those issues before? In regards to the online profile, do you have an account at Ubisoft? I think you need to have an account setup wiht Ubisoft before being able to play the multiplayer aspect of the game but I could be wrong. I remember reading about it in the retail game owners manual (I'll double check it and see if I can figure it out). I have no ideas about the gun turret problem, that is weird?

19. P0NYSLAYSTATION

P0NYSLAYSTATION Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 512MB
    With the online key the problem is that I'm guessing there are two keys? but steam only gives you the one needed to install the game.

Yeah, I do have an account with Ubisoft (and have used it to spam them with bug reports, to no avail :p)

20. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    'Baguette'

dont forget this