The Guru3D Fallout 3 PC Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sash, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870X2+4870 1GB on S T260
    There are problems related to the game that causes fps drops at least with X2 cards.

In my rig it runs very well, but to smooth things with high text packs, mods, loading textures , fps drops,etc I had to tweak the .ini files. You can even improve the viewing distance on the game

Micro-stuttering in an issue with the engine. There are also unsolved bugs on the obilion engine that do not help.

I was trying to state that the performance is "poor" in terms of engine - default configuration and things like that.

I agree with you that the engine itself is old (thus less demanding in new rigs) but if you want to "optimize" either for low-end rigs or high-end rigs you have to work it out a lot; as I understand things this should not be this way :)

PD: Obiously , I am really happy that the game engine is SO FLEXIBLE and lets you mess around...........

2. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Glad to help, and yes the mouse thing is just........

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Anyone got insane suttering with HD Textures ?.
    In someplaces (Springvale school example ) game is unplayable 15-20FPS at most.

It doesnt even matter if i have AA on or off...

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega

I reverted to the previous patch which has improved things slightly..That sudden drop for me seems to be some sort of memory leak as alt-tabbing out of the game or saving and re-loading fixes it.

5. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There is a 1.1.x patch
    13 Jan 2009 ... FALLOUT 3 Update UK ENGLISH v 1.1. PEGI 18+ Fallout3_v1.1.0.35

did you try this one ?

I am playing with it OK

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes I was using that one but I have now reverted to the first patch, as the latest one caused all sorts of issue for me (and other people) whereas the first patch worked fine for me.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    How can i revert ? :p ( i dont wanna reinstal whole game ;P).

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    You'll have to reinstall I'm afrraid, but all the texture mods will remain in the data folder, also make sure you delete the fallout.ini files from my games folder, you'll have to re-enable bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 in fallout.ini after installing though.

There's also a file to disable gfwl:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1086

9. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    correct. try increasing cells and u max exterior, u max interior and vram for cache in .ini settings.
    Multuply x2 everything.

Also, force vsync off in both gpu drivers and game. The fps drops still happens but in less degree

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    ibitato

Do you get the sky flicker with the 4870x2?

11. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Some times it happens and sometimes it does not. Maybe its just me not paying attention.......

Also, I changed the night sky and sun glare using a couple of mods. Both improved a lot, but , yes I get the sky flicker.

12. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    funny thing ..... it is supposed to happen only with 4870X2. Also the water bug that if you get close to the water it messes everything up around you on the water.............

but I've read other non 4870X2 users with this stuff.....

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I don't get the water bug (so far) but it seems the sky flicker effects all x2/sli/cg users, If I disable one gpu it is completely fixed, hopefully a driver will fix it. I am going to try playing around with sli modes such as split screen rendering to see if this fixes it as then the whole of the top part of the screen will be rendered by a single gpu, not sure if ati has a similar option.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I Dont think its driver problem i think its the game engine not fully supporting crossfire/sli.
    Dont blame drivers, ATI/Nvidia WONT make work for game developers.

15. ibitato

ibitato Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The fps drops is game - caused, BUT the water issue in 4870X2 is driver - issue.
    Don't know about the sky flickering.......

16. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I would agree, but I have come across people who had no sky flickering issues in older drivers with sli but have it in newer drivers, also oblivion, which uses the same engine doesn't have almost any of these issues.

Also I've fixed 99% of all my fallout 3 issues by reinstalling the game, deleting old versions of fallout.ini/falloutpref.ini/data folder, only installing patch 1.1.0.35 and disabling gfwl, installing only the high resolution textures mods (not the max versions) and replacing the clear sky mod with another mod ( which looks better). The new mod is called Fellout : The fallout 3 weather overhaul, note that the textute folder included is optional.

Link

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2672

I have even forced v-sync from within driver and have had no stutter/fps drop issues at all since, but the sky flicker issue remains which it seems is sli related.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  17. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I dont like how it changes the graphics , i like the "yellownes" of F3 in Vanila :p. Anyway, i can live with the sutter, it happens only in few places.
    Most of the time i play its fine.

18. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    Hi guys, I have a question, by doing operation anchorage quest, all my weapons before I enter to the simulation will be gone after I complete that quest?

19. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Six hours spent playing already today. At least another six to go. God, this game was worth every penny. Especially with the texture and other mods. :rolleyes:

20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Yea texture mods make it look amazing ;p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.