The Guru3D Fallout 3 PC Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sash, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    How can you NOT know it's based in Washington DC?

2. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Well it had the washington monument....but for i knew it was make believe.

I dont really know what washington looks like sorry :S lol..

3. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    sometimes while walking I get a message like " (something) was worn off " .. what does that mean?? .. and also I look sometimes that red message in the top right corner that say for example +1rad/sec something like that .. whats that?? I mean .. I dont see my HP decrease

4. Eric1987

Eric1987 Banned

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Eh this game isnt all its hyped up to be. Its not a bad game its alright. I just dont feel much sense of direction or anything. I gotta go to rivet city now.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Does eny1 try Tesla Armor??

One damn looking armor with lightings all over you :D

6. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    they kinda mentioned DC in the game, although most people don't even know even where that is in real life :p

btw is there something interesting in Bethesda? in the game i mean

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  7. KingDazza

KingDazza Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    I'm getting intermittent freezing now that I'm very far into it. Didnt have any freezing or ctd for the first 10+ hours. Pain in the arse. Vault 112 inside small houses was every 5 mins or so. Its settled back down to once every few hours now, but this game is in need of patching. Loads of peeps with same issues as me too. Unfortunately for allot of people this issue doesn't seem to often come to light until many hours under way.

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i agree, i had loads of issues last night, every time i hit ESC or the menu it would go back to windows and couldnt ALT+TAB back or switch in taskmanager, then that stupid crappy POS live wouldnt connect several times, hopefully theyll have a patch soon at least for the back to desktop pressing ESC

9. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    Hoping some texture overhauls hit soon :S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    _____ has worn off. is an effect from a food or device you use or anything that has effected you. (ie: you eat psycho you get +25% more damage or when you use stealth boy you turn invisible/transparent, when the effects wears off it will let you know. Also if you sleep for a couple of hours you will get well rested (+10% more exp) and when that wears off it will tell you).

the +1Rad/sec is radiation you come in contact with per second, eating edibles with +rad or steping into a ditch of barrels or going into water will also give you radiation. The higher your radiation level the more effects it will have on your characters stats... once you reach 1000 radiation you will die, you can use radaway or rad-x to reduce your radiation... theres some side quests where they want you to be radioactive and you can get a perk where having radiation will automatically heal your limbs :)... whenever you drink radiated water your hp will go up but your stats will go down so just keep a look out or use radiation resistant gear/items

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    These settings below, from FALLOUT.INI, may have some effect on frame rate, I'm not sure as they're new settings. I'll have to test them. There are a few other similar settings with "FrameRate" or "FPS" in their label. Perhaps they are dynamic, does anyone have different values for these settings?

iAutoViewHiFrameRate=40
    iAutoViewLowFrameRate=20

Thanks for the info about Dogmeat plato, I think someone mentioned it before but I thought they were talking about dog meat. :D

12. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    The crashing people are experiencing indoors has something to do with AA and Vsync I believe. With Vsync off, the game would crash very often.
    But with Vsync on and any type of AA I can play without any crashes like those with Vsync on.
    It's a shame the game is very jerky at times with Vsync, even if you use tripple buffering :(

:edit: AA doesn't matter. With the 177.83, 177.92, 178.24 and 180.43, the game crashes a lot on my rig if I disable Vsync.....with or without aa

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I might experiment with Vsync and .ini file to see what I can find. I don't seem to have many problems on high settings but when I run Ultra I get the odd crash. I'll try and see what setting changes from High to Ultra have an effect on stability, apart from AA and Vsync.

I also thought perhaps self shadows may have some effect, but I'm not sure. Back later, need to tweak now.

14. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Umm... I've only been playing for 20 hours..

Did anyone finish the main quest yet?

I found it very short... Now the games over?! wth?

Good thing I saved a while back... I ended up going through 3 different endings, after playing around a little at the end... but yeah, I didn't even get to explore everywhere... Guess I'm a daddy's boy? Project purity....short lived!!!

15. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    exzeth - Earlier in the thread it says "Don't Finish the main Quest". You should do all the side quests and explore the wastelands instead. There is so much more to do than the main quest.

I think the crashes people are experiencing are due to memory leak or a memory error of some kind. I messed around with the settings but could not find a setting that caused it. From reading many comments people have made, it looks as though once settings are pushed up to a certain point, memory fills up rapidly and over she goes. It could be HDD caching, swapfile, or RAM/GRAM issue. I'm going to try and narrow it down.

I'm thinking at present Fallout 3, instead of running crap when you turn up the settings too far, it CTD instead. But it could be a memory leak, as it does start to fill up memory rather quick once you go over the default settings for your spec. I'm rather itching to get back to a little game time so I haven't studied it in depth yet. I'll try disabling/enabling HDD caching and monitoring memory and pagefile usage later and see if my guess is right.

Please excuse me now, I'm starting to get anxious and will develop involuntary muscle twitching if I don't play soon.

ah ha ha hahahahh.......

16. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    If you beat the game under 20 hours then you did't play Fallout 3 right, with the side mission's Fallout 3 is very long which i like.

17. exzeth

exzeth Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080ti
    Well, the ending took me by surprise, it was totally unexpected.. You're just playing along, then all of a sudden cutscene.

Not to give anything away... you'll see when you get there..I guess..:3eyes:

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people i dont get stutter but i get crashes indoors and i have found what i believe to be a solution.

i used a nocd crack as the game doesnt need a dvd to run any way i heard that it worked so i used it and now i have been playing for two days crash free, total of approx 6hours.

so try it...

19. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    For both beings set in a post nuclear apacolypse, Fallout 3 is very different from STALKER
    - Walking down dimly lit stairway in STALKER: oh ****. oh ****. oh ****. what the hell was that!?
    - Walking down dimly lit stairway in Fallout 3: *whistle* *VATS super mutant with shotgun, blowing into 100 pieces* *keep on whistling*

But I am loving Fallout 3 though I must take a break now that I've beaten it before going back a couple of hours and doing all of the side quests.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    V.A.T.S is intended to be an advantage as it's unlikely you would survive very long in such an environment without it, also as mentioned many times it's primarily an RPG not an FPS like stalker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.