The Guru3D Fallout 3 PC Thread Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti
    Now you've got me confused...
    - Broken steel starts once you finish the main quest (and it doesn't transport you to an area external to the capitol wasteland like the other DLC's so everything is fully explorable...)
    - other DLC's are playable during the entire course of the game

2. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Broken Steel continues where the main story left off.
    Instead of the game ending, you wake up two weeks later.
    You are still in the wasteland with all your stuff.
    Quest will be added with marker on the map.

Yes you will get radio messages.
    Quests will be added with markers on the map.

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    I`m on playing point lookout the now... god this game is just getting bigger and bigger!!!

just for the people who are getting confused with things, once you have completed ANY of the story, be it the main story or the stories of ANY of the DLC`s you can go back to the locations at any point...... there are just so many wee side missions and things to do!!!

Think more games should be like this, a great example of what a sandbox game should be like!

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"

5. mehdi

mehdi Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970
    Hi all is there a good HD texture pack for fallout 3 I remember there was a post about a texture pack on fileplanet.

6. Matt151b

Matt151b Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I beat the main game. I want to buy some DLCs to raise my level cap, but everytime I decide to start playing this game and do some of my remaining side missions I get a crash within 10-15 minutes of play. Then I put it down for another 2 months and hope for a fix...

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    Have you adjusted the Fallout.ini in regards to the problem some people experience with quad cores?
    (Doesn't seem to happen to all quad cores though, unsure what causes it.)

Under the [General] section of Fallout3.ini (Though I recommend editing both) add "iNumHWThreads=2" also some people recommend you change "bUseThreadedAI" to 1 to enable it.

This is also one fix in regards to random freezes, usually when in small indoor locations. (Another is to enable Vsync and/or run it in windowed mode.)

Also check mods (If you use any) for compatibility problems and such.
    (MMM being a popular creature mod currently bugs Point Lookout by causing it to crash, there's a fix for another problem on Fallout3Nexus regarding PointLookout but it fixes this conflict as well, something to do with the new Mirelurks.)

8. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Yes there is. This is the one I used, it definetly makes it look nicer and it didn't decrease performance alot.

Here are some screenshots to check the differences between vanilla fallout 3 and the mod.

9. Matt151b

Matt151b Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    I swear I have already done the HWthread=2 fix, but when I looked for my ini file I did not find it. Hope your suggestion fixes me.

10. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    is point lookout worth getting?(i loved the first 3 and have completed then all several times) can someone give a small teaser as to the story missions etc.? do i have to have 1.6 patch to play it? also does fomm or fose support 1.6 patch yet?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    http://fose.silverlock.org/

FOSE supports 1.6, 1.6 (Mentioned previously) also seems to fix the bug with .ESP files content not saving properly and even causing crashes so it's recommeneded to use now. :)

As for Point Lookout it's the best DLC so far in my opinion, while not that large it has it's own worldspace full of places to explore (Not all marked on the map.) and it has more spooky theme than the rest of the game.

There's a bit of a unfair advantage for the new enemies though as all weapons have a bit of a enhancement on them that adds 35 extra damage when used against the player so it can be very challenging though there are already two mods on www.Fallout3Nexus.com that removes this though on the other hand high level Fallout 3 (Broken Steel in particular) characters will mow down the new enemies with ease then.

The actual area is very well made though there's not many inhabitants (There's a lot of creatures to kill though.) and the main quest arc isn't that long but there's a lot to see before you're fully finished with it.

Due to being so open it's much more free-form than Anchorage and Pitt or even Broken Steel since you can go anywhere and do what you want and not just follow the questline.
    (It's also a bit darker and more brutal than what you'll see in Fallout 3 due to the "horror" theme.)

It's a bit similar to Stalker at times actually albeit not on the same scale.
    (There's even a little Geyser or what to call it anomaly that while it adds radiation also spawns goo balls for a short time which can be grabbed and pushed around before they "pop", shooting them instead causes the gas in it to burst in a fiery explosion.)

12. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    thanks heaps dude (jonasbeckman), i have read a few of your posts in various threads and must say thankyou for taking the time to write these detailed explanation. good job. im downloading it now (at 63% so far). the only problem with fose is it doesnt support live so im hoping for a FOMM update soon. thanks again

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    FoMM update? why would you need to do that?

If you want to move the DLC files (Don't just copy them, at least not if you use LIVE as that'll load both sets which will bug the game quite a bit.) just go to the "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\" folder (Followed by the DLC folder for the DLC files or Update folder if you want to copy the patch over sometime after one has been downloaded, might be useful to know.)

Oh and you don't need the files in the DLC folder for LIVE to work (Update: For Fallout 3 that is.), it just needs to be active in the launcher, in fact LIVE (And Fallout3) will only read it as another file to load (LIVE will only read it if it's in it's folder and load it during start, which is why mods depending on the DLC won't work as it needs to be loaded before that.)

Achievements and such are only applied via the patches, 1.6 added Point Lookout and PL itself only "hooks" to these via the "AddAchievement" script command (Can be seen via the GECK by checking the scripts attached to the stuff that adds achievements, for PL that's mainly the main story quests.) you can even use AddAchievement 01 to 68 in the console to manually unlock them as soon as you've applied the patch though getting them the real way is more proper as it'll be a bit of a challenge that way. :)

EDIT: For XP that folder would instead be something like "C:\Documents And Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\XLive\"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  14. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    thanks , i only use fomm so i can change order of mods and use the tweaker and archive invalidation. and yeah i put the dlc's in as mods so i make sure they are loaded first.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I currently have all four DLC files in both the XLive folder and the Fallout 3 game folder. The reason for this was that the DLC was not activating when it was just in the XLive folder. So you're saying that I can delete the XLive copies and leave the DLC in the game folder then?

I was getting some annoying "Fallout 3 is not responding" errors though, sometimes after 10 minutes, only times after an hour, which happened either while I played or during the loading screens.

I did have a tweaked INI file, had triple buffering enabled via D3DOptimizer and the Hi-Res Texture Pack installed so I wasn't sure what was causing the issue. I reset the INI file (which sets ArchiveInvalidate to 0 and thus disables the HD textures), disabled triple buffering and lowered the AA from 8X to 4X and I was able to play the game for over five hours without it crashing. Not sure what the issue was but if I've got the DLC installed incorrectly then that could be compounding the issues.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    It's not a huge problem but there are some issues if you have the DLC files located both in the LIVE folder and the game \data\ folder as first Fallout3.exe will load the ESM/ESP files and then in the game LIVE (If running) will load the DLC ESM files again which might duplicate the content in them in various ways such as two radio message pop-ups, double NPC/creatures and such.

Loading the DLC ESM files only via the launcher is also recommended if you have plugins that depend on them (Addons, fixes and such.) as first Fallout3 will load ESM/ESP files and then LIVE will load the DLC ESM files (As above) but as the DLC ESM's are loaded after Fallout3 is started the ESP won't find the ESM it depends upon when initializing and will either not load or cause a crash. (M being master and P being plugin by the way, though it's defined in the actual file and not by the extension it uses.)

Finally playing the game without LIVE (Fallout script extender for example.) means you need to copy the DLC files over in order to be able to access the new content since LIVE won't load them. (As it's not active.)

Regarding game crashes it's similar to Oblivion as the more data the game processes the more unstable it can be, large amount of AA/AF along with high res textures (Or tweaked INI files with more view distance and such.) will fill up the cache the game uses and also the available GPU memory though pinpointing specific crashes can be quite difficult. :)
    (From what I know at least.)

17. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    QUESTION!

Im selling my machine (thread in Trading section) and I am going to bundle some games with it. Now, would I be able to include Fallout 3? I was wondering with it being linked with a Games For Windows account, is the serial number forever with me, or can it be used on someone elses profile?

18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    dunno about the windows live thing, i hate it and got it disabled in my game, i remember when windows live was only supposed to be vista supported, guess that fell through, but you can move the windows live dlc to your data folder and run them as normal mods also but you miss out on achievements and junk if you do it that way. dunno about the legality of selling your pc with games you bought installed however, might be best just to wipe the harddrive and bundle the dvds with the pc, barring any games with limited activations junk attached to them.

beyond that loving 1.6 official patch. game seem much more stable i was using the fake patch before and still having crash issues tho not nearly as bad as 1.5 official which was just a flipping mess. tho when 1.6 crashes it seems i need to reboot my whole pc to fix it sometimes else it keeps crashing in the same spot, lest ran into that with point lookout, played like 5 or 6 hours no crash, game crashed out and crashed the same spot over and over till i rebooted then it ran fine.

19. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I am bundling the games with the PC, I was just thinking would the people who bought it be able to re-use the CD key on their accounts if I have already used it on mine?

20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

well going by this you should be fine.

For Fallout 3’s copy protection on PC, we use the same security model as we did for Oblivion - a simple disc check. We only use SecuRom’s disc check functionality for copy protection. We do NOT limit the number of installs. We do NOT use online authentication or any other SecuROM functionality except for a disc check when you install the game and when you launch the game. We do not install any other programs and we don’t have anything that runs in the background while you’re playing the game.

If you experience issues installing the game, try running setup.exe directly off the disc. That will resolve most compatibility issues.