The Guru3D Crysis thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmonk

dmonk Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    I've tried tons of configs. I've come back and can give you a good idea of what to expect(especially given our similar systems). First of all, Crytek's High settings are most desirable to achieve that "cinematic" look. The default high settings provide the closest look to the advertised graphics. With our cards, there's no sense in turning on the DX10 hacks.

configs that people make tend to run better because procedural vegetation, object quality, and shadows are used extensively with LOD(level of detail). The developers are Crytek thought that the whole scene should have little pop in or draw in, so they turned on things like texture streaming as a sacrifice. Keep in mind the mountain the background is no longer compressed and I'm using most direct x 10 effects.

Benchmark@1024x768 all high: ~ 14 fps
    In reality: balancing between 10-13 fps with jumps up to 16
    Benchmark@1024x768 custom config ~ 17.7 fps
    In REALITY: balancing between 15-20fps with jumps >25

that's substantial. Sometimes like 50%.

This is the first time I can say benchmarks actually do not tell you a thing about how it plays. The problem with Cryengine 2 is how much crap is going on at once. There are so many variances in what your FPS can be. These configs are made for people on the ground, not some camera para-gliding over laguna beach.

That is really substantial! Keep in mind I have high quality shadows enabled, but in the distance they appear like medium shadows. Scaling is good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    depending on your future graphic card, but a psu that is extremely good (among others of course, like seasonic's, Fortron's, Antec neo-he's, ...)OCZ silencer 750w (monorail), pure power !! until a certain consumption ;)

If you want to clock the whole thing higher, I suggest a more powerfull PSU, same brands, but like 850w minimum, in order to avoid computer rebootings and damaging it

http://www.guru3d.com/article/psu/461/ or again OCZ http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2188
    many more to be worth the price

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    it amazes me a game thats so configurable that it can look almost totally different on everyones machine. wish all games were like that.

then again it is kinda a pain. to easy to mess up what you liked before. i bet i have like 10 configs backed up, all different in visual styles and cant remember which one looks like what and which i would like best....what happend to the cartoon style (cell shaded) look they had in farcry? and no Opengl option like farcry? c'mon crytek.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol i like to keep it original, as it gives the best image imo, i'm using high shaders, object detail, game effects and custom postprocessing that is
    con_restricted to 0 and r_shunshafts 1 and it looks just great, not like some here have that major overbrighten hdr look or these god rays turned to max lol.

5. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    guys having some trouble here , I've applied the very high tweak for xp..
    copy pasted in the CVarGroups folder..

I'm wondering why I cant change certain settings like g_dof_ironsight
    it's stuck on 1 ?
    Some settings just dont change..
    i doing this through the console !
    Any tips..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  6. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I cant get my auroexec to work!!

At least not in the sandbox editor (havent tried the game)

Have it included in the main Crysis folder, but it doesnt seem to implement it :(

7. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    So, I just fired up Crysis.

The game detects optimum settings for my rig and sets everything to high @ 1024x768 Res and no 0xAA.

But the in-game frame rate is quite laggy, so I lowered the shadows to Low and Post processing to Medium @ 800x600, no 0xAA.

After these changes take place, for the most part the in-game frame rate seems to be fine with only a few slow downs in some intense fight scenes.
    Strangely enough some of the cut-scenes still seem to be laggy.

I hadn't had time to run the in-game benchmark to get some precise FPS, I'll try it later and post my findings tomorrow ;)

I did notice a bug where the sand next to the sea water in corrupted and full of large square pixels. A patch or newer nvidia driver should fix that!

Overall in DX9 & WinXP, the graphics, gameplay and theme, are just too similar to Far Cry which I was not too fond of.
    It doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement and can't really say I'm impressed so far.

8. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    isis the A.I animations really much better in DX10 (very high) vs DX9 (Very high)

Since , every time I play on vista , it feels more solid and the enemy character animations seem so much more (heavier , solid , rag doll works better etc)

Any one !

Btw , I'm getting a 20fps difference between XP and Vista..
    Damn SLi isn't working...

9. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    what drivers do you use ? the 169.13 for xp brings a bit of improvments.

10. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Sorry I had created another thread, should have posted here. So I'll summarize.

Pros:
    -Good graphics, I love the leaves and falling trees,water was cool too.
    -Good voice acting
    -Destructible environment kinda cool
    -Modding ur gun cool but not enough selection and you don't even see him add it on it just all magically appears.

Cons:
    -Horrible AI, aimbot like AI is not AI. Harder skill level = even more stupid aimbot AI
    -Graphical glitches everywhere especially when crouching or for example when clearly shooting out a door but some invisible thing keeps blocking ur shots so you see a bullet impact literally floating in the air...
    -Can't shoot thru walls, helicopter rockets hit a metal fence and do nothing much else but yet can utterly destroy a hut. Or the portable stations(long metal boxes) helicopter rocket does nothing too...
    -Hit detection or lack of it, using whole clip on people is just utter stupid. Shoot off his helmet and keep shooting him neck and back and he's still hunching around
    -Tanks that are more simply a cheap hud change with lowered movement rate
    -Literally no ability for stealth
    -Shorter than Farcry with less of story
    -lousy netcode
    -featureless multiplayer, bland, boring and limiting compared to COD4 Crysis online is close to SOF3 in terms of quality and fun.

COD4 might have been way shorter than this game, but the replayability of COD4 goes well beyond what this game can do. And where is that patch they promised to be out 2 weeks after release..I'd personally love to see what that patch contains.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Flukester: i read that other thread you posted. you said Crysis is too linear? so.... i'm guessing you went from main checkpoint A to main checkpoint B all the time... without scouting around the area to see what else might be around? You can explore a whole helluva lot more in Crysis than you can even come close to exploring in CoD4. Not only is CoD4 extremely linear... but you CAN'T do a lot of roaming, because it's basically like most other shooters. one somewhat big area where a fight starts.... finish fight, walk down a path/corridor/etc... to another semi big area to fight in.... rinse, repeat. Crysis is MUCH more replayable in the sense that sometimes if you attack a base, you may end up having them call for reinforcements... and you may not. You can also approach the same situation from quite a few different angles. CoD4 on the other hand.... the same enemies go to the same places and fire at you from the same locations every time, and the enemies don't stop coming until you move a bit further forward. Not a whole lot of choice as to how to approach a situation.

In case you didn't notice, difficulty levels don't say anything about changing the difficulty of the AI. the only thing it changes with the enemies is that they speak Korean instead of English if you put it on the highest difficulty.

graphical glitches are more than likely known about, and will probably be fixed whenever the patch get's here (damn EA).

shoot off the helmet and keep shooting him in the neck without him dying? wow.... then i guess i must be playing a different game than you.... because i hardly ever get up-close and personal with enemies unless they sneak up on me. one shot to the head to knock off the helmet, they look around... a bit bewildered.... another shot to the head and they fall. now... the Nanosuit koreans are a bit of a different story.

plenty of ability for stealth (as stated above). Guess you didn't really follow the idea of using the binoculars to spot and pinpoint enemies on the radar so you can plan your attack? shoot people that are out in the open first that have nobody around them, and slowly work towards the larger groups, using strength mode to ensure a quick kill, and silencers to avoid unwanted attention? did you even THINK about how to go about being stealthy in the game?

as for multiplayer..... far better than CoD4. Granted i haven't played multiplayer in CoD4 in a while.... but i highly doubt that a simple patch would change it from being a small-mapped, 32-player spawn kill fest like it was when i first played it, and played for the entire week of it's release, until Crysis came out, and i haven't touched CoD4 MP.

don't remember them PROMISING the patch either. i remember them saying they EXPECT it to be out in roughly 2 weeks.... but there's a big difference between expected dates and promised dates. take Valve for instance.

12. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    up front, I'm not arguing, but...

I found the same thing with Crysis here. Same enemies, as you move in further more enemies spawn and all in the exact same place. On a cliff, hiding behind same tree.. But I agree, you can go all over the place unlike COD4.

Ok well that makes sense because i didn't think the AI got any smarter. Jeez now that you mention it, I did notice the language change. Neat.

Useless to me however since I finished the game, no interest to play it again.

I was speaking from a distance, however many times I killed them from 10 feet away with a shot in the face. The guys that I would knock off their helmet and hit em in the neck were generally on field guns or behind sandbags. I just figured it was a hitbox detection issue.

I used binocular definitely. Shooting someone with silencer from 50 feet always resulted in ALL of them coming right at me. I could not for example, walk up behind someone invisible, they would turn around and mutter something and act as if they did see me. I tried stealth throughout the game, only way it worked was if there was sandbags or some obstruction otherwise they constantly knew i was there. I'd be behind a sandbag, nobody behind me and I would recharge my suit to go invisible again, all of a sudden they would know exactly where I was and run behind the sandbags....

Eww, first off I never play 32 man servers on COD4, that's just utter stupid and just a literal killfest, however I play on 16/20 man servers without issue and in terms of gameplay/netcode COD4 runs circles around Crysis, not to mention I have to cut my setting in Crysis to play online. Eww. COD4, maxxed out. But this is more a matter of preference I guess...

They said 2 weeks. I don't know where the quote was, but they said they promise to have a patch within the first 2 weeks. What week are we at now? I took my time playing this game in hopes it would come out but I finished it, the patch is totally useless to me now, except for MP maybe.. I can give that another try when the patch finally surfaces.

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    lol, what if you don't fell like to and just want to get to the next point as soon as you can, i don't sneak and wait and look around for houndred years, i did once and was borring as hell, i rather play some thief 3 or splitercell in that case lol.
    And btw if you go to the next point and leve the enemies behind, nothing happens if its specifically said to shoot them all, and the story goes on...

and yes enemies are just stupid and very accurate, especially those on boats and choppers, the cooper is the stupidest lol, as soon as you select cloak it can't see you, but if don't and hide in a very remote well hiden place it will still find you, common wdf?!

14. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Yeah, the boats too were a little ridiculous. I was blowing up the anti-air guns...again and again and again (getting old) and I was taking out guys in the camp and yet that damn boat could probably only see the top of my head if that and he was still doing some devastating damage... I had either the choice to jump on the field gun and take him out or move into the open or use invisible to get the guys in the camp... The AI just really ruined the whole game for me. If I were to sum it up, the AI was just a total farce. I really just stuck to doing my missions, I did run around here and there but again agree, you could easily just drive by the bad guys and finish your mission. Hell I had fun zipping up and down running them over at one point.

15. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    EA & Crytek are Shady

16. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    WTF is that meant to mean? Total nonsense... :3eyes:

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Flukester: yeah... they're in the same place, and patrol the same path, no matter how many times you load the game...... but they don't keep on coming until you move further ahead. you clear out a base.... it's clear. nobody ever comes back. And they couldn't really get them to spawn in a different place. it's an engine, not reality. i mean.... they could have a certain number of enemies spawn on a certain map, and have dozens of spawn points around for them to randomly spawn at..... but that'd be weird, complicated, and probably cost more loading time. What i meant about it in CoD4 was that if you sit behind the same piece of cover and just keep killing the same person over and over.... another one just comes out of nowhere and shoots from the same spot.... over, and over again. They don't stop going to that same spot until you move further forward, at which point they start running to a select few OTHER points. The only time you see that in Crysis is if you decide to exploit the AI, whereas if you take out an enemy at a mounted gun.... another rushes to fill his spot.

And i was talking about from a distance too. usually use the FY71 or whatever it is, with either the assault or sniper scope. i find the person i want to shoot, find a good place to go prone while i'm stealthed, so they have a lesser chance of spotting me, go prone, switch to strength, aim, and fire. having such guns on single round shots makes it a bit easier too, so you don't have to worry about more than one round going off, and losing your aim should it require a second shot.

I dunno.... maybe stealth works better for me since i'm playing on the normal difficulty for now.... *shrug*

18. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
  19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    so has anyone have an idea on how to make it so the koreans die with one or two shots? not trying to make it easier, just more realistic. i started playing it without nanosuit, makes alot of difference in how you play it. at least in the early levels anyway. think i'm about done with it though till a patch or some cool mod comes round.

20. JustDuck

JustDuck Banned

GPU:
    Asus Geforce 8800GTS 320
    Shoot them into head.. I mean into head not into dickhead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.