-=The Guru of 3D rig gallery rev.2 Part 4=-

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by John, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thread clean-up. New thread, same rules.

Previous threads can be found here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=212121, http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=235418 and http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=257594

2. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Part 4 here it comes!!!!

3. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    a setup i´ve mounted for a friend,picture taken with my n 9 5 8gb

[​IMG]

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Try Martin's Flow Estimater. I'm not sure if he has the GTZ and any 4870 X2 blocks in there, but you could at least get a good idea. I just think the thing looks the **** and really want to try out that mounting system. Although with the V2 being just as good, I can definitely see where you are coming from, especially seeing as it is also £10 cheaper over here, so something similar to that over there I should think.

Ouch, that has to sting for that EK block. Then again, it's not a small chunk of copper is it! Why not a fan of acrylic? Worried about it cracking?

My new rig's parts are slowly trickling in, so I should have some pics up soon. You guys should be in for a treat :p

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Now now, the D-Tek promount is pretty awesome too! :D I don't really need to use the flow estimator, as I know the Swiftech is a tad more retrictive (Gabe even said so himself, and Martin's results back that up). In many cases that won't matter, but since I'm also going to use that EK block, which will be rather restrictive, I think I'm better off with the D-Tek. My pump has limited head pressure too, so yeah...

About the acrylic. Well, I've never been a fan of it since my reservoir exploded while cleaning it with isopropanol. I know the stuff EK uses is high-end, but still, I don't like it. Acetal is much more sturdy. Besides I like the look better too. The black top on the copper block... Mmhmm! It's almost 1KG of copper too, btw. It's expensive, yes, but what are you gonna do, right? It costs to be in the high-end spectrum of things :p

When are you putting that new rig of yours on water?

6. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    i wish water wasnt so expensive.. i love how it works

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I have seen Martin's results as well, I was merely suggesting using the FRE to get a rough idea of whether the full loop would pass his "At least 1GPM" rule, since it will be using that EK block. Either way, V2 or GTZ, you are very unlikely to be disappointed, so this is really all moot!

Speaking of the EK block; almost 1KG of copper you say? NICE! Obviously, I don't think anyone expected them to be cheap, but that doesn't make it sting any less!

I think I read about you res exploding; have you mentioned that in any other posts? And while I agree that acetal is much more sturdy, I have not yet come across someone complaining about their acrylic not being able to take the pressure from their pump(s)! Nope, when I get water cooling going, it is going to be acrylic!

Speaking of my water cooling; I have not got a clue. It depends largely on how much money I can earn before going to Uni, and how fast/if I get a job while I am in Liverpool. It could be in a month or two, or it could be next summer. Hard to tell unfortunately. I just hope Martin has not retired before I come to put a kit together!

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Heh, I won't drop below 1 GPM no matter what I do, don't worry about that. But for the record, according to the FRE I get 2.28 GPM with my current, very low-restriction loop. Adding a stock rev2 Fuzion instead of my rev1 drops me to ~1,83 GPM, and adding an EK 3870 block, which is the closest I can find as the 4870x2 block obviously isn't added yet, drops me to 1.73 GPM. Adding another one drops me to 1,5 GPM, but one X2 block won't equal two ordinary ones -- it'll probably be something in between. But let's say a worst case scenario of 1,5 GPM.

I never suggested an acrylic top of any kind would explode due to pump pressure! I know it's safe, but it isn't as sturdy as acetal. Mine exploded due to a reaction between the glue used and the isopropanol, or that's my un-educated guess. Cracks can appear in the threads on acrylic waterblocks if you aren't careful with them (tightening too hard). I know EK uses the best quality acrylic there is, but I've heard about cheaper stuff giving in. My point is anyway that my personal preference is acetal, and that I prefer that over acrylic. I know many like blocks that you can see through, but I don't. Simple as that :)

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Of course, of course. Was just wondering if you did have any stories of people who's blocks have exploded/cracked from too much pressure. Would have been very entertaining, and also make me think twice about it for when I go shopping. Good to hear that EK use top quality stuff though. Very good news.

So did you res actually explode then? I wish it was filmed!

BTW, do you use any UV or colour dyes in your loop? And what pump are you running with what radiator?

Oh, and some bad news for my new build :( The website I ordered the 4870 X2 off has whacked up the price to over £330, literally a day after I ordered mine from there. The website does not list whether they have any in stock or not, and it is the one place I have not received a "Your goods have been despatched" email from. I'm worried that maybe they do not have any in stock (like everywhere else I checked), and have decided a price raise would be in order for when the new stock arrives, and are going to nail me with the new price!

Best give em a ring in the morrow -_-

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Not by hand, no. But I've seen many examples over the years I've been into watercooling, which are becoming a few now..

As for my res. Well, I sure as hell looked like it exploded! There were pieces of it all over my bathroom. I've filled it 99% pure isopropanol to clean out some green colour from additives, put it in my bathroom sink, and come back to alot of pieces and an intense smell, haha. I had loads of pictures of it, lemme see if I can find them later.

No dyes or UV here per se. I'm not into that whole esthetic part of it, except I do like the looks of waterblocks in general. I use pure destilled water with two drops of copper sulfide (PT nuke) and a dash of blue Pentosin G11 for extra protection (and I guess, a little colour :p). I have a ThermoChill PA120.3 with a D5 pump. I love that pump and I don't want to change it to a DDC variant. Besides it fits snugly, hanging from a HDD cage with zip-ties and a pad of anti vibration gel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a random picture comparing the X2 to my hand :p

[​IMG]

11. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
  12. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    double post

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    John: yeah... i'd say that's a rather random pic. Is quite huge though...

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    That's a pretty funky way of mounting your D5 there! I might have to do something similar. Except it will be entirely my own idea XD

And did you really have to go and post a pic of your X2, after reading about my trouble with getting one?

Cruel man -_-

15. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    what case is that juke?

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    • Here

Should be what you wanted :p

17. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    is the 4870 any bigger than a 8800GTX? That card looks gigantic!

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    That's because it is an X2!

19. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    John, I see you have the 4870 X2 cleavage edition. They charge you extra for that?:grin: But in all seriousness, that is a massive a**ed card.

20. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    yeah that's what I meant. I knew it was the X2 of course!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.