The guide to buying gaming headphones 101

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by momomo67890, Sep 19, 2009.

1. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    just ordered some HD800 + a balanced cable see how their so called huge soundstage and detail at 1400$ they better impress or their going back <(*_*<)

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I hope you remember to burn them in when you get them. Also when you test the Pro-750 they had to be burn in even longer just like the HFI-780s you was using over the weekend. That you notice the improvement happening.

3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Ahh shame, can't you get the DT 150's for under 150$? :)

4. Diesel1966

Diesel1966 Member

GPU:
    2x GeForce GTX 285 2GB
    Momomo,

Great write up and thank you. I'm a believer now. I've been reading a lot of REVIEWS and visiting websites and it is nice to have an Audiophile as yourself concentrate on the gaming aspect of headphones rather than music/listening and movie watching. Learned alot. THANKS!!!

5. Diesel1966

Diesel1966 Member

GPU:
    2x GeForce GTX 285 2GB
    Momomo,

All I can say is WOW!!! I purchased the Ultrasone HFI-780. Had them for a week and they are worth every penny.

Your review was SPOT ON!!! Thanks Again.

6. Massive

Massive Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    good and complete range of headphones review...thread subscribed :).

Btw why no HD555 review yet? this seems to be most selling headphones for gaming today.

7. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    Hd555 , AT m50 , shure 840 on my list for next to try.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Might wanna add a pair of HD280's, not as good for music but I love these for lans like there's no tomorrow. A closed pair of headphones are a must on LAN's imo.

9. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I've gotten my HD-280s to 50-75 hours of burn in so far, only had them for about a month but the bass is getting really well rounded now. It rumbles just right and really makes music and games stand out. Its something else to hear an explosion with them on, makes you feel like you just witnessed something being blown to smithereens right in front of you. Plus well, putting on a track by Daft Punk or Infected Mushroom and getting lost in it is something special.. I almost didn't go to bed last night because I was rediscovering all of my techno/electronica music lol.

I've tweaked my EQ settings some to add in more bass, I adjusted the lower frequencies up to about 30-40% and it seems to round the bass out even more. Don't get me wrong, its fine at a neutral level but if you want a little more punch, adjust the lower ranges just a tad and you'll get a deeper appreciation for the bass they can produce. The highs and mids are near perfect for my taste, just the bass can use a little bit more punch to make it really stand with the rest.

10. Massive

Massive Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    I will wait for your review to buy a new one.

Actually I'm considering an HD555 or HD280 Pro for my next headphones as I saw that they are decent for it price range

11. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    might be a few weeks before i can add any headphones FINALLY Found a hobby that run me out of money computers never could !

i would say 3 weeks before i can add hd555 / shure 840

EQ adds distortion i try to stay away from using eq if i can.

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Btw I've done some testing with my HD650's today and my new ASUS Xonar Essence ST and imo, 2 seperated left/right RCA cables > headphone out.

They have to be seperate though, using a splitter really did take away some clarity.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  13. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Hi momomo67890, I'm the guy with the Psykos and if it was more practical etc. I would let you try these things no problem. You and some others on this Forum appear to really know what you are talking about and your opinion
    and comparisons mean a lot to me.That knowledge is the reason I joined this Forum. I'm not married to Psyko so if there are better 5.1 analog cans out there I will buy them. Really,Right now.I have finished with my testing and playing around with these things and I will provide my opinion in an hour or so. Take care.

14. Postalisback

GPU:
    If you like more bass you should try out the Beyerdynamic DT 150, they are really good in my experience, especially for rock/metal and bassy music, their performance in gaming is very good as well, and they isolate very well :)

15. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    I almost went the DT 150s, just every place I saw them at was hella expensive and way outside my budget. I'm happy with my HD-280s though, I've gotten them burned in enough to really show off their sound and they are still getting more work. I've just been leaving them plugged in with music going all day lol.

16. Postalisback

GPU:
    Haha, these DT 150 don't sound like they're being driven to their full potential straight out of my X-Fi Prelude so I'm contemplating buying headphones that would better match the source :p

The headphones I had in mind are the AKG K81 DJ or the Audio Technica ATH-M50 :)

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Postal you can grab a headphone amp, like the Qinpu Q1 amp which I use for my headphones. the E5 portable headphone might work.

Also HFI-780 would work as well if you like bass. DT 770 -250 would also work, but I heard they was boomy bass or whatever. Also if your op-amp rolling that will come into play as well based on which op-amp or op-amps combos your using.

18. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    First of all, i know how some of the people feels about Razer. But nevertheless, i would like to ask or someone could make an educated comparison of the Razer Carcharias headset petted against some of the headset 'reviewed' in this thread.

I'm not an audiophile. But recently i have been interesting with audio stuff. I have this headset for some time now (9 months or so). I just would like to know how the audio quality compares to what i have read in this thread.

19. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    yeh i can do a razer headset

20. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Much appreciated if you could do that momomo

Enjoyed reading your 'review' on the headsets