The GTX 780 TI SLI - End of Life - Driver Performance Analysis

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cain, Jun 28, 2015.

1. evilos

evilos Member

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    [​IMG]

project cars ^^

and this is just bull***t, no sense at all

god know what will happen to maxwell when pascal comes out

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Well look at the clock speeds on the Kepler cards, they are all very low clocked reference, then look at the 780ghz and its gain in fps.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Do you really have to overclock card like 780 to be faster than 960, lol?

gtx960 / 1024 cc / 128bit / 112 gb/sec :D

When new shiny Pascal cards arrive what will happen to Maxwell, same thing?

4. evilos

evilos Member

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    yes, but u can oc maxwell too, like 450+mhz more than reference clocks easy, and gain in fps is massive

keppler cant

man 960>780 in newer games easy

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Huh? I was only mentioning the fps difference between a stock 780 and a 780ghz edition.

6. Genrix

Genrix Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 JS Palit@1228
    Test Project Cars with OC GPU 350.12 WHQL 18.05.2015 //i.imgur.com/I3ceQbh.jpg

7. evilos

evilos Member

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    nevermind, i knew that at some point it will be bad to be a pc gamer, upgrading gpu every year now, man if u go 60fps gaming or 120hz gaming u dont wanna go back...hard times are coming

"life is complicated" - Niko

8. Cain

Cain Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 1080 SLI
    I appreciate the feedback of my findings.

I do plan for more testing but it is time consuming. I will do it when I can of course, real life takes precedence and I am trying to become a programmer as well :).

If I may inject my opinion, I do not have the title to test this but...
    Project Cars is quite possibly a case of over tessellation.

Akin to the 6970 vs GTX 580 in Crysis 2. This time around it's the Maxwell succeeding over Kepler, as the Tessellation performance is 3x greater on Maxwell.

It's my firm belief that nVidia should allow an override for Tessellation in the Control Panel. Nobody listens to me though ^.^ I have thought about creating a utility to try and set this ourselves, but I haven't done much research into it and NVAPI.

Some potential titles I will be considering running the numbers for are Metro 2033, Heaven 2.1, perhaps the new FFXIV Heavensward. Remember the difficulty is finding games with benchmarks built in, that have been around long enough to test SLI in my case. Although I may rectify that by testing more cards.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What you unabout man, i was able to squeeze over 450mhz from my 690 running at 1372mhz from a factory clocked 915mhz.

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Is it the different architect of it that's makin the huge difference? the clocks? I mean 780ti 2880 cores, 384bit and still losing, I'm not looking to get as much from my 770, not my intent, I accept it, I just wanna know what is making a good card now, what matters?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've seen hd 7970 running over 1700mhz on core. Most gpus can be pushed to extremes, with selected samples.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Very interesting theory about tessellation in project cars. That would explain why maxwell is so far ahead of Kepler and amd. Too bad nvidia inspector does not have a tessellation slider.

13. evilos

evilos Member

GPU:
    Gtx 970 G1
    my max oc for my old GTX 770 DCII Asus was 120mhz more, giving only 200mhz more than reference clock, 690 at that high oc, u are lucky

my 970 g1 is ocing to 1500mhz 1.23v 100% stable clock, completed Witcher3 without TDRs

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    over tessellation in pCARS? Lol

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Does it have tessellation? I don't know offhand, don't have the game.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    When Pascal releases, Nvidia can do whatever they want with Maxwell.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Seeing what happened to Kepler i would not be surprised same thing repeat with Maxwell.

18. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    man why do these topics fall apart, all i want is single gpu kepler... on a few games that people claim have been crippled, to see if it has been crippled, is that so hard!?

you cant test sli unless you have maxwell (& fermi) sli to prove that it's not an sli regression

i dont own pcars or witcher3 to test on my 660, do i have to acquire them myself?

speaking of serbian's fermi rant, i would also like to know what to test on my 570m, i cant install the icafe drivers or is there a mobility mod?

i have been benchmarking these for years: nvidia island (water tesselation) demo, avp bench, sniperv2 bench, cinebench11, cinebench15, 3dm06, 3dmv, 3dm11, heaven, valley

i should make a graph sometime...

& btw, maxwell getting gains (especially if tesselation is involved) doesnt mean kepler is being crippled or ignored, it means maxwell launched with generic unoptimized drivers which is to be expected... at some point, breakthroughs will happen like GCN1 in the fall of 2012 (7970 gained to ghz performance, ghz gained some more, especially ~10fps in bf3)

so whenever there's that 960 vs 780 talk, consider or remove the tesselation from messing up the result

even console games get boosts, superstardustHD on ps3 gained resolution after the devs optimized their game while working on the 3d version, skilled software engineers with time = improvements without any change to hardware

oh & if some people arent aware, in one of techreport's launch reviews... of kepler or maxwell, they noted that 'scheduler' type components were removed from the gpu hardware, resulting in the drivers having a lot more control over performance compared to before

EDIT: ok i see the people testing witcher3 on that kepler fix driver http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399569

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  19. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Well first of all. We as gamers and as consumers should fight against this type of thing. If we buy a gpu from Nvidia, they need to support all their architectures until they decide to officially not support the card.

Nvidia is a huge company. Like they said they have an army devoted to their game ready drivers. The issue is they are no longer optimizing for kepler cards. For newer titles. Or they are injecting newer titles with so much tessellation via gameworks, that no one will actually notice. I mean come on. Look at Witcher 3. Do you think the guys hair honestly needs x64 tessellation when you are gamming on a 1080p monitor or 1440p. Do you think you will even notice?

This can be supported by looking at Firestrike extreme. Does the 780 ti lose to the 960 in firestrike extreme? If the driver mature theory is to be believed then 970 and 960 should be kicking the 780 tis butt in firestrike, because you know, mature drivers and new architecture wins the day.

20. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon
    Also I want to point out that its so unbelievable how important drivers are to pushing hardware. It seems game developers cant even code properly and that they rely on nvidia and amds drivers for real support. I don't know what the answer is, but i personally don't trust a hardware/software company like nvidia to offer equal driver performance when its in their best interest to push a new product. Even though previous gen hardware is more than capable to pushing existing software titles.