The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Haha, yeah I see that now! Trying to do too many things at once without proper food today. :) Hopefully @gerardfraser can get back to us about what the heck is going on.

I totally hear you about not OC'ing your new 1080Ti. I'm not doing it either, since Pascal isn't exactly in need of it, but also because my card becomes unstable with even 25MHz added to the core no matter the voltage. I just added 350MHz to the memory (since that does help in some games @ 4k) and called it a day.

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Out of the box, only 1911MHz on the core. Not amazing, considering this is an FTW3, but I'm thinking at this point in Pascal's life most AIB's must be using some lower quality silicon GP102-350-K3-A1, GP102-350-K4-A1, or GP102-351-K1-A1. I'm still happy with it being a bit above 1900MHz since I've been building computers since the days where getting over 200MHz was mind blowing. We are basically 10x that, so I tell myself to be happy. :)

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I do not have a problem with the game guys,I showed a screen shot with maxed out settings @ 2560x1440.
    I have a problem when people say maxed out.
    This is why I asked,so I will ask DW75 again,your running maxed out @3K and getting higher frames than me @1440.Then definitely my computer is fubar.
    Thanks for the replies.
    https://s25.**********/yfs1b53lr/Untitled.jpg

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Yeah, SSAA. I understand what you mean @gerardfraser about "max" and "real max" but I've always drawn the line at SSAA since it effectively changes your resolution. In essence, I run max settings at the resolution I picked and call that max. Using SSAA alters the effective resolution, much like DSR and DRS (upcoming DLSS and AI trickery) make the actual definition of "max" and "real max" tough to decide on from person to person.

I guess I could also add the fact that *most* games, either in their launcher or game settings, will have SSAA in a different section than actual game options. So "maxed out" generally would refer to maxing the graphical settings for a given game to the general gaming citizens. I've always had an issue with Youtubers when they benchmark PCARS 2 and just say "max settings" since that game has multiple AA options, one of which is SSAA. They can show under 60 FPS @ 1440p while I run 4k "max" settings without SSAA @ 80+ FPS.

These points are all helped along with extra clarification. I suppose @DW75 means they are running at a set resolution of 1440p with max "graphics" settings, sans SSAA or "display" settings. I see your frustration with a lack of specificity and uniformity among developers and users.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

5. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    @BuildeR2 Great answer,I agree with everthing you explained so well,Thanks.
    I knew what DW75 was saying when he said max,I just wanted to ask.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    No problem! This is the kind of hardware and technical nonsense I spew on a daily basis, much to the chagrin of those around me. :) Over the last 2 decades my computer building/modding/OC'ing buddies and I have had many a conversation reminiscent of this one.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Exactly. Or, if native resolution isn't sharp enough for you, turn SSAA down to 2x if that is possible or use DSR to whatever extent allows the FPS range you want to keep. Taking a demanding modern game like this and using SSAA is going to be rough. Something like Sniper Elite 3 and the Zombie Army version, which I'm playing with a few friends, I can easily run fully maxed out in every sense. 4k resolution, ultra settings and max SSAA.

8. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire

LOL you totally missed the point I was trying to make.You did not max out the game as you first said.
    Which in turn gives the wrong impression to people who read threads like these.

So some poor fucker saves for a year to buy a GTX 1080Ti because he is reading forums and thinking everyone is maxing out a game at some resolution,poor sap buys card,maxes out game and it run like crap.Disappointed to the tits.

Now I do not give a frack what FPS you get in a game,I already know exactly what the games FPS are. I was trying to point something out and you did not get it,my fault for not explaining myself.

I am not picking on you ,just saying something.
    You are not the only one who says maxed out or has a different version of what maxed out means.
    I think maxed out means put all sliders/AA and whatever in game to the max possible setting in game.

Anyway basically a GTX 1080Ti is still no enough to max out today's games at max settings even @1080p with 60FPS min.You just need to turn down settings to get playable FPS.

What really bugs me are the people who think that 2080TI you be able to play games @ 4K with 60 FPS and maxed out games,where in reality you will have to turn down settings to medium/high to get that 60 FPS @4K.

Anyway that was fun post,do not be so serious and take everything so literal like

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Lol... Tomb Raider's SSAA is one of the worst that I've seen. Same goes to their FXAA and SMAA implementations. Driver FXAA does better job than their SSAA. They didn't improve it at all from the reboot in Rise of The Tomb Raider. Maxing out in that game makes no sense in my opinion.

2xSSAA vs. driver FXAA. I do know which one I prefer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Generally speaking, nvidia's driver FXAA is better than nearly all ingame fxaa solutions. Only issue is that if you wanna take screenshots, the driver fxaa isn't applied to the screenshot :p

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, if you do not use exclusive fullscreen mode then Windows' built in screenshot capture method (win+prtscr) will capture it.

12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Exclusive fullscreen mode is reqruired for sli, and g-sync works better with it aswell... so not really an option ;P

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    When I used SLI with GTX 680, exclusive fullscreen mode wasn't required for SLI.

14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It is if you want ideal scaling... scaling in windowed mode is horrendous. And really, what's the point in sli, if the scaling is bad.

But i reckon your experience with sli is a "little" outdated, if you haven't used it since the 600 series...

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, yeah - now a days it's even a bigger pain in the ass and nothing works properly if it works. :p

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You can still get it to work in 90% of games, and you can still get flawless scaling in most of them... provided that you don't do foolish things like running games in windowed mode, and use nvidiainspector to set sli bits for games, now that nvidia hardly bothers to anymore.

17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    I'd like to ask something regarding our beloved cards' turbo boost 3.0, which still appears to be a mistery to me: I've been playing around with the under and overvolt in order to squeeze as much as possible out of the card. The best result I got is 2050MHz/1.081V. With these settings I manage to run Superposition 1080p extreme without any problems, the GPU frequency does not fluctuate and therefore I get a granitic 2050MHz. Things change as soon as I try playing videogames and downsample to 4k: by doing this, there is a pretty high and continuous fluctuation from 1974MHz to 2050MHz, the card just refuses to keep the desired OC. Temps are good, since the fan is running at 80% and I don't go past 61 degrees C. The PL is set to 120% and rarely the power consumption reaches 120-121%. What could it be? I've noticed that without using nVidia DSR and using for instance the internal resolution scaling which some games offer, the frequency does not fluctuate. At first I thought that the downclock was due to the excessive power draw, but it looks like it's not the case here.

To summarize:
    - 2050MHz, 1.081V, native or inferior resolution: the card always keeps the frequencies I set;
    - 2050MHz, 1.081V, internal resolution scaling: same as before (except for Superposition, if I run the test in 4k optimized, frequencies fluctuate again);
    -2050MHz, 1.081V, nVidia DSR to 4k: frequencies fluctuate a lot and never stay where I want them to stay.

Could it also be GPU load related? I mean, the card "thinks" the full frequencies are not necessary and it automatically downclocks them?

EDIT: I forgot to add that the Voltage slider is set to 100%, mems are +500.

EDIT2: I ran Superposition at 4k keeping GPU-Z in background and the perfcap is Power related... So I'm hitting the power limit everytime it downclocks... Is there a solution to avoid this?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3070
    You can try making a profile for programs/games that are throttling in nvcp and set those programs to to prefer maximum performance. That helped me a little with the throttling. Not much else you can do except maybe mess with the voltage curve. Look back a few pages if you don't know how to do that.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Use MSI Afterburners graph tool to see if it is the gfx card that is limiting you or something outside that.

20. gerardfraser

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    @sertopico

Did you try using a voltage curve yet in MSI Afterburner so you do not hit limits while having a maxed out overclock.Lots of ways to do it in this thread.

EG:
    Set MSI Afterburner to default.
    Press control + F to get voltage curve.
    Move only single point on voltage curve.
    Lets say 1.02mV for now(you can lower later if you want for now voltage is for stability)
    Move voltage point 1.02mV up to 2038 Mhz.
    Hit red X or close voltage curve.Then click on check mark in MSI Afterburner to apply voltage curve.
    This will result in a flat line voltage curve starting at 1.02 mV and 2038Mhz.
    Setting the voltage curve this way will result in your MHZ to drop by increments of 13Mhz until temperature of the card is under control .Say under 70C.
    Set a fan curve next to run at 70% fan speed at 60C GPU temperature .
    Result should be a drop of two bins (so 26Mhz in total )So the GPU clock will settle at 2012 when card get to a normal running temperature (again say under 70C)

See screen shot for a general idea how to set.
    https://s25.**********/63qejxxpb/gtx_1080ti.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.