The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Maybe you can use half refresh rate? 200fps might not happen all the time. Grats on your new card ;)

2. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    1080ti is overkill for 1440p? Lol nope.
    It might not be an overkill for even 1080p 144hz in new games.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It's no overkill at all, sadly ;) Especially Not if you’re talking about wide 1440p.
    Witcher 3 will still ditch below 60fos, even without hairworks maxed or talking about 100fps.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Ah, overkill. Another one of "those" words like *futureproof*. As always, it depends. Are you checking email and playing solitaire? An 8700k may be overkill, but also futureproof. Playing older or less demanding games, a 1080Ti may be overkill. Everybody always has a different definition and viewpoint for these kinds of things. I think back to the days when I was a teen and having mid to low end hardware sometimes killed my enjoyment of games. I wasn't exactly sure why and didn't know the technical terms. Now I prefer to buy one of the 2 fastest GPU's out there and have loads of power in reserve for older or less taxing games, or play brand new games at great settings and FPS.

I'm quite enjoying my flawed 1080Ti thus far. Civ VI maxed out @ 4k with the fans barely having to spin is nice.

Icanium likes this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Duke
    For me the 1080Ti with an ultra wide 2560x1080 144Hz screen are a great combo. Plenty of power to play games at native resolution with all the eye candy enabled paired with that lovely very fast refresh rate. And because the Ti still has power to spare i can use Nvidia´s DSR to improve the image quality even further. This card is really a beast.

6. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i remember when people said 980/980ti was overkill for 1080p, and some people used them for 4K, now if you use them for 4K some will laugh in your face, that will just happen to the 1080/1160 -- 1080ti/1170 they will be the new gpu for 1080p and the rest (1180 or 1180ti) for 1440p or 4K

glad i bought mine way after the mining craze and enjoyed it for a few years before it's mid range so i don't really need the gtx 11 anymore

[​IMG]

JK, im going directly for one those, the amount of 16Gb of GDDr6 vram is just to tempting.

7. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Anybody noticed that all 1080Ti cards other than the FE have the second to last memory chip missing, yet the FE cards have the last chip missing? Just a small oddity I noticed while examining PCB's of every 1080Ti I could find.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My FE has 2nd to last missing.

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Interesting. Maybe it was just the first run of the FE 1080Ti's that all of the review sites got, then NV changed the configuration and that's what all the AIB's got. I guess it probably doesn't mean anything, but I just wondered if it was another small performance advantage only for the FE's like better binned GPU, although that is arguable as well.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Mine was bought in early March 2017, first batch.
    Its not a well binned card, it will only break 2GHz with an Accelero Xtreme cooler.

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Hmm, I have no clue in that case. Maybe it is all a huge conspiracy and NV is sending golden samples with optimized memory paths only to reviewers for higher numbers!

Joking aside, I found it strange that different cards had different missing memory spots.

12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    A little update here. Trying to play Dying Light with some friends recently was crashing or freezing every 15 minutes or so even at ~1850MHz, along with Civ VI just acting oddly in the sense that I thought I was seeing tiny white snow like dots every once in a while. Temps are not an issue in any game, sitting right around or under 70C with fans at ~40%.

My friend, who has done an RMA with EVGA as a second hand owner, told me to call and talk with a human to explain my story. Holy crap that was easy! Less than 15 minutes of talking with a technically competent guy led to us agreeing that it is most likely the GPU that is shot and opening an RMA. I'm going to send it out this weekend and I will keep y'all updated as to what happens. I figured it would be a good idea to have a card that works at stock speeds when I try to sell it to get an 1180.

If this goes as smooth as it seems like it will, I will be extremely likely to stick with EVGA for the 11 series. Good day, Gurus!

The1 and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yeah it's nice to people care about their products or else if you sell bad products you can scare people for buying used hardware, like me i usually don't buy used anymore because in my case, not so long ago i bought an used 980ti and just a few months later the vrm blown up, i didn't oced it once and my psu was new corsair one and gold+ cerftificate in tier 1 list, in sandy bridge era happened something similar i bought an asrock extreme 4 used and then just by a mild 4ghz oc with barely no votaje up, the mobo just never booted again.

And now i bought a used ps vita that is locking up every time after an hour, so i don't know if it's just me with bad luck in used market, or idk, but in my case i prefer to pay new from now on, but hearing this history people will start to trust your items.

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    So, just a little update on my update. :) I just got my brand spanking new 1080Ti FTW3 a few hours ago and have been running it through some games and Heaven/Superposition. It has been stable so far! Left completely stock out of the box, it settles at 1911MHz @ 1.043v and stays pretty quiet even under full load. I'll continue to test tomorrow after work and maybe even try some overclocking.

As far as EVGA goes, it has been a pleasure dealing with them through this diagnosing and RMA'ing the GPU. They even gave me step up because I mentioned sticking with them when the 11/20 series comes out!

15. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Just finished build for friend of mine with MSI Gaming X 1080Ti, best OC 2050MHz and +350MHz on VRAM, temperatures I expected bit better but seen max 42-45°C

His build consist from i7-8700k with 5.1GHz non delidded with max temperatures in Realbench at 72-75°C on PKG and 1.35v , that's with EK Supermacy block and Asus Maximus X Formula and fans spinning at 1000RPM as max

Friend is happy with the build although I'm not sure on his GPU temperatures which are bit high, checked twice Phanteks Glacier block if its seated correctly, water temperature never go beyond 28°C in ambient 23-24°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

StarvinMarvinDK and fantaskarsef like this.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    After a week or so of testing and playing games, everything seems to be fine and dandy. You would hope so, being a new card and all. It doesn't OC much past stock, sitting at 1950MHz-1960MHz core clock depending on the game. 350MHz memory OC. Anything beyond those values and some games CTD or freeze.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Congratulations on the new card,they are fast cards,quiet and cool,It always perplexes me when people say maxed out game.
    I am interested in your setting say Rise Of The Tomb Raider just because I just tried the game maxed out on GTX 1080Ti @ 1440 and I get 30-40 FPS.

For me CPU's and GPU's even @ 1080P are not enough to max out a lot of games ,which bugs the hell out of me.

In the last couple weeks games I played which get under 30FPS maxed out in busy areas of the games which suck on 1080TI/SLI and even Gsync did not save these games at all at playable FPS.
    LOL Gotta learn to turn down settings but it still do not matter on CPU games.

Kingdom Come Deliverance but still playing freaking ultra anyway
    Watch Dogs 2
    Star Citizen which is just a train wreck and hell there was another one I tried but I forget now because I just shut it off.

Anyway freaking Rise Of The Tomb Raider is not playable maxed out @ 1440P either ,so I am just asking are you playing maxed out or is my computer not working.
    I also just wanted to post something in this thread.That was alot of typing shi..............t

GTX 1080ti
    2100 Core
    5900 Memory
    https://s25.**********/w3ffzwosv/ROTTR_2018_08_30_16_07_53_923.jpg

18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Are you running SSAA?

19. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Sounds just like my experience. Enjoy it!
    Could be it.
    Also, from what I can see the screenshot doesn't show which API it is running. Don't Ryzen CPU's have a performance killing issue of some kind with nvidia GPU's and DX12 in the new Tomb Raider games? Was this ever resolved in driver of game updates?

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Ah, okay. Something is definitely wrong here. My buddy on an i5-6600k and RX480 gets the same or higher FPS maxed out @ 2560x1080 in this game. Your 1080Ti at 2100MHz (nice OC!) should be destroying that by double or more. I tried to find the Digital Foundry video where they encountered the Ryzen+NV issues in this game, but haven't found it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.