The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I paid £480 for my GTX 980 and £550 for my GTX 980 Ti but £600 for the GTX 980 replacement/upgrade that is the GTX 1080. On that basis I would expect the GTX 1080 Ti to come in at around £720, possibly as much as £750 if NVIDIA release one of their (IMO) rip-off Founder's Edition variants first because they just drive the prices up. I was lucky to get my GTX 1080 FTW for £600 from Amazon, although I had to wait six weeks for it, as they currently sell for near £700 (at least they did last time I checked). I would not be surprised if the 1080 Ti ended up being £800.

The lack of competition for NVIDIA means they can really charge anything they like as they know people will buy them. That's how they got away with selling the Titan X Pascal for £1,100 when previous Titan's have cost £850-£900.

2. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    How long can they keep raising the price of each successive GPU before people stop buying them?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Prices are high, but let's be honest here, it's also a problem of lacking competition. If AMD would finally offer something competitive to the 1080 it could help the prices drop again.

If you want the performance, you have to go Nvidia at the moment, and that costs. It's as simple as that... and if you don't like it guys there's always the chance to grab another, cheaper card if you want. It's a buyer's decision, only that we all in here have expansive cards, be reminded of that. This is not an AMD budget thread. ;)

4. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    No we should be getting more for our money simple as that, video card prices from Nvidia are absolutely absurd for what a GPU actually does - prices like this just make me think PS4, high er res and more stable FPS is just not enough for such a price - not to mention all the other crap and poor coding we get with PC games in the first place.

I love my PC but this jump in price is.... out of hand.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well then go and buy a cheaper card than the 1070 or buy a PS4 and stick to that, you're free to do that of course. That's your ultimate choice, just take it and don't complain because you are still feeding that system just like me. Difference is I acknowledge it for what it is it seems. There's simply not much to say about this, nobody's to blaim for Nvidia's market share, and price / release politics but the customers (us) that play along with it. :)

I'm not happy with things the way they are either but the thing is, we can't create a better environment when still buying Nvidia. I still don't want to go AMD again as I've had bad experiences, but it's an extra price tag I'm willing to pay, because I think it's the only compromise that appeals to me.

6. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    The thing is, there is a breaking point where it no longer makes business sense to keep raising prices because people stop buying.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's absolutely true. But given the sales numbers of the 1080, market share of Nvidia also, I think we've not reached that point yet.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think more like usual 700-750€ when its in full swing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  10. shiokarai

shiokarai Guest

GPU:
    3 x Titan X Pascal
    with AMD actually competing with Nvidia at the high end there wouldn't be $1200 Titan XP on the market now, and selling like hot cakes too. yes, the price is absurd by any means, but it's the fastest card so they set the price like that...and it sells.

and this means that 1080ti price will also be higher. $999? even at this price point it would sell

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I would say

R9-490X: ~ 660-700 €/$
    1080TI: ~ 720-760€/$

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    just when i started thinking i haven't heard of 1080ti in a while, let's see those 'leak' spec.. hum....

:nerd:

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    And you bought three.

14. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    Looking forward to throwing this in my machine - go go january :D

oh... and go go EK :D

15. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    Might opt for aftermarket card as G1 Gaming (Love gigabyte cards)

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd choose MSI this time. I prefer less dB over +1-2fps.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm in the difficult situation of wanting the best card for watercooling. Hard to come by to any real objective reviews to that.

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Just make sure you get it at launch before they reduce the quality of the board components.

I really like the MSI coolers and would also go for this. The overclock you get is only partly down to the cooler, the main factor is how lucky you get in the silicon lottery.

PS. this is the first time I've seen 6 pages on a card that isn't even announced yet! Seems people are really looking forward to it. I would be too but since my daughter was born I haven't played a single PC game so not much point atm :bang:

19. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    I'm getting my GPU not from a local shop but directly from Gigabyte from our Distributor even before local and online stores have them so i'm good :)

20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    This is a real thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.