1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GTX 1080-Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by XenthorX, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Anyone here testing different Bios to remove the power limit that throttles the core clocks , if so wish one Bios you have found the best on water cooling ?

2. Miken420

Miken420 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE
    I just read through the last 15-20 pages to get caught up and I have to say, the way some of you guys are squeezing extra performance out of your 1080 Tis already has me thinking unnatural thoughts about the one I just picked up.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Why is it unnatural? :nerd:

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You sure you want to know? :D

No haven't toyed around with a flashing a different BIOS on my card, but I think I will try it sooner or later. Just haven't even reached those 2.1GHz that I soo wanted to have, going for water cooling and through all the troubles... rock solid 2088 is not enough for me :(

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Some people can reach 2.1 on air, lucky silicon lottery. Mine with AIO refuses to clock past 2037. Literally refuses, instant crashes.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580

Beware of the shunts mod

Shunt mods not recommended on the video cards , lots of reports of resistor falling off due to the chemicals on the liquid metal TIM eating away the solder hence it will fall off soon or later = dead cards. Listen to der8auer of what happens and why :/. It starts at 1m 19 sec where he talks about it. I was going to try this shunts mod but after hearing this and some of my overclocker friends reports confirming it as true i will advice anyone against it.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I used solder but theres something about those resistors that rejects solder, it wasnt easy.
    I could only get at one anyway, my heatsink mod covered the other.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Shunt mod has been the same for Nvidia cards for some time now, including the troubles with the resistors' solder. Smartest thing I've seen is that somebody put liquid glue around the resistors to protect the liquid metal tim from spilling.

Shuntmod is nice, but not for those cards. You're probably better off flashing a better vBIOS.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    So basically be very careful.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Good wise up.
    Good job I didnt have any LM tim or I might have tried it.
    Gelid Extreme ftmf safe win :)

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    A shunt mod is nice, but aren't most cards crippled by the temp target anyway? Unless LN2'ing of course.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Even the FE cooler can keep temps below 70C but its quite loud.
    Aftermarket cards and alternative coolers even better.

My Accelero Xtreme III cooler gives a max overclock load temp while stress testing of 51C, 24C ambient.
    Gaming temps are lower.
    And its silent.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  13. Mars73

Mars73 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080Ti
    Or just don't do it, the card is imo too expensive to mess around with.
    Getting my Ti next week, if deliveries goes as planned.
    Looking forward to it.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    I wouldn't bother.

XOC bios is just too easy and end results are the same, if not a little better.
    Zero power throttling.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    I think i'm going to flash the eVGA FTW Bios and call it a day as i already know how Pascal cards behave ( Used to have GTX 1070 ) , since i'm on H2O full cover EK water block temperatures for an hour of stress testing the video card 3DMark Time Spy loop maxed out at 37c flat line all across and it never reaches 38c with room temperature of ~27c.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes I think flashing the right BIOS is a lot safer and brings about the same gains as a real shunt mod. Mind you, shunt mods are what brings the LN2 clockers to the tops in benchmark ranks, but I doubt that every day use needs such a procedure to achieve good effects.

17. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Correct :thumbup: . I just flashed the Asus XOC bios to overcome the power limits and voltages limits + water cooling will overcome the temperature limits and with that out of the way now it's up to the silicon lottery Gods :giggle2: , will do some testing during the weekend to see where i stand clock wise , i need 100% stable OC for gaming ( will make a profile in AB for that ) and will test for maxed out clocks for benchmarking purposes only.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  18. IcemaN22

IcemaN22 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti OC
    Hello all. Im a new owner of a Asus 1080Ti. After I upgraded from 980Ti, I started having some problems with PUBG where the nVidia driver "nvlddmkm" stopped responding, and fail to recover. I'm using the 382.53 driver and have only factory overclock. So far this is the only game where this freeze is happening. Anyone here experienced the same ?

19. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Hello, whats your power target now?

20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Hi, flashing to xoc works well, but one problem, the XOC Voltage Tool, I tried using that program and keeps saying: error error error.

Says does not detect asus strix card,

Tried flashing to that, same problem

Question concering the XOC bios:

Once flashed to this bios, I do understand that all power stuff that was holding the card back has been removed, but do you need the xoc voltage tool as well? Or does the bios automatically distribute whatever power is needed?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.