The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Good move, so you still have the old pre-order price before the mess started? It might be worth the wait then. Either way, if AMD doesn't put out a serious high end contender, then the 1080Ti, whenever that comes out will be over 1000 euros easily...

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Count me in boys. Just snatched a JetStream version for 705euros(725 with express shipping).

Thursday/Friday I will have it.

I hated it paying that much and I seriously and I do mean really seriously, contemplated about ordering an RX 480(but no AIB board) or a Gainward GTX 1060 for €279(€297inc Exp. Shipping) just to get by until the Pascal Ti.

But knowing me, I wouldn't be satisfied and we are still a good 4-5 months minimum far from the Ti.

The GameRock GTX 1070 commanded a price premium of €200 over the 1060. This should be enough to hold until the aforementioned card.

This would allowed me to play a bit with Pascal and not break the bank much.

But all AIB cards I was interested showed estimated delivery mid-August. Forget it.

I had originally ordered and paid for a GTX 1070 G1 Gaming from FleeBay for 435euros 3 days ago but the Seller refunded my money and blamed PayPal problems.

So the only one immediately available at a "decent" price was the Palit GTX 1080 JetStream.

I would had really preferred not to had paid that much for such a small performance boost over the GTX 1070.

But I took the hit like man should and be done with it.

So as I said, count me in da club. :thumbup:

P.S: Will give that card a real good treatment when it arrives and will of course be posting the aftermath... ehm I mean results.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Hi guys how are you?

Can you help me with some 1080 SLI issue?

When i enter a game the both cards sometimes do not boost equal, now i`m playing Hitman and one card is bossting to 2089 and the second card is at stock, 1759...

After sometimes or when the GPu usage is more intense the card goes to 2089 like the other one, but i loose some FPS untill this happens

I was looking and realized the the second card only goes up in the clock when the usage passes someting about 50%, but in the old series like 980TI when i launched the game the cards was always with the same clock no matter what usage

I`m using AB 4.3 beta 4

Is it normal in the new Boost 3.0 and Pascal? Any way to make both cards always boots the same?

I`m using max performance profile at Nvidia control pannel

4. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Are you trying to OC or are you getting those differences at stock? I've never seen my cards at significantly different core clocks (within 10-20MHz of each other).

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hm, maybe the game doesn't support SLI properly, or maybe you have some frame cap and the extra horsepower is not needed?

I for example cap at 60 most of the time, and my boost lowers when it's not needed. I don't remember this happening on my 970s.

It might also be a driver/afterburner bug, because the cards are still very fresh, and besides I don't think nvidia gave too much attention to SLI (or if you want, negative attention, by dropping 3-4 way) on Pascal yet.

6. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Sometimes the bottom card just do not boost, satys with the default clock, the 10-20 mhz diference is ok when it happens but my issue is that the card do not boost at all sometimes :(

7. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    That hasn't happened for me, both of my cards always boost. What game/benchmark are you running? Does it happen in all (supported) games or just a few? Any 3rd party utilities running?

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Yeah it's amazing how much better this single card is compared to even 980 SLI. Everything you mentioned runs better at 144hz 1440p Gsync. Witcher 3 for me was also a huge improvement.

I'm really impressed with this card, and can't even imagine needing the TITAN version but for 5K+.

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Geezus. Have these last 2 days been longer than usual?(well its still 48hours technically but felt like a week). :D

[​IMG]

10. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 STRIX
    [​IMG]

mine too taking so long hehe

11. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Hi,
    Let me add a bit of my own 1080 experience.

I bought EVGA 1080 SC for 650USD + VAT. Unfortunately I was instantly disappointed with the fan quality. One of the two fans was making rattling noise.

When I tried overclocking I was disappointed again. Even +30Mhz offset was causing driver crashes and hangs. After setting it to maximum PowerTarget and VoltageOffset, I was able to get stable just 1999.5Mhz on 1.09V VID.

After a few days fiddling with it I decided to return the card.

----------

A week ago I ordered MSI GTX 1080 FE. Luckily I got it brand new for 675USD + VAT coz there is quite a lot of them, like full storages :)
    Also the card has NVIDIA logo printed on PCB so it is clearly built by NVIDIA itself. Even BIOS doesn't say anything about MSI.

The fan quality, noise levels were much better, inaudible. Also I prefer this kind of fan because it blows all heat out of your case.

Then I tried overclocking and I was shocked. I was just upping the base clock offset and I couldn't find the top end :) I ended up at +230Mhz, without adding any voltage and card runs completely stable.

Later I started to fine tune the curve and I've ended with these results:

VCore offset +10%
    PowerTarget +15% (115%)
    GPU ClockOffset +230 +Curve
    MemOffset +500
    -

This is how it works now after starting a game:

2114Mhz 1.062V <40C
    2101Mhz 1.062/1.05V <50C
    2088Mhz 1.05V/1.04V <65C

So significant improvement over the EVGA. Is this chip any good, average or are there much better chips?

I plan to use EK water block. But I don't want to push voltages all the way up... too much heat for my taste.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  12. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    That looks like normal OC clocks for FE and also FE editions are known to be better/more preferable to put under water for some reason. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
  14. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
  15. haste

haste Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Well that's not entirely correct. While waiting for my water block, I'm using custom fan curve, so my temps are in fact always below 65C. Mostly 50-60C while playing games @60FPS. So my GPU frequency is jumping between 2101/2088Mhz. Firestrike did the same thing 2088-2101, it's too short to heat up the card over 60C.

When waterblock arrives, I expect stable 2101Mhz+.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
  17. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
  18. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 FO48U
    Just tested the new 368.95 Hotfix Drivers..My Score increased..:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I'm out of the club before I even had time to join. lol.

GTX 1080 JetStream cancelled. Will hop over the GTX 1070 club guys.

Happy gaming.

20. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    That's likely. I converted my FE to a hybrid and it runs at a perfectly stable 2101 without any advanced voltage tweaks. Max recorded temp: 55C in an ambient environment of 25-26C (South-Florida).

I haven't even tried higher clocks (I'm kinda lazy like that); just moved the power target to 120%, added 200 core and 500 mem and called it a day.