The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    If I were you I wouldn't think for a second to downgrade from a 4.2GHz 6 core. Sure the performance per core from a 6700K is quite a bit better, but imo the platform is overpriced for what it offers.

Rather get Broadwell-E, or even better wait for Skylake-E. What you have now will last you easily till that comes out.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    with 1080 he'll get a better experience @ 4k like DOOM can easily run 4k/60fps @ ultra graphics on one 1080

the division can run 4k/57fps @ ultra settings if AA is off and shadows to medium or anything other than PCSS/HTFS ( tested that myself )

Tomb Raider 2016 same thing , 4k/55fps minimum if AA is FXAA and HBAO+ is off

my answer was general not specific to his 1st question

3. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    i guess i rushed that answer :nerd:

but he will get a better performance with a faster and cooler CPU under stress + an up to date mobo with DDR4 memory than whatever he's got

4. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I agree too. Kaby-X or Sky-X would be better upgrades and not that far from now. Hold on a bit longer imo.

5. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Okay. Thanks for the input. Itching to do a new build, but maybe I'll manage to wait a bit longer:)

BTW, gaming at 3440x1440

6. Darman89

Darman89 Guest

Anyone found a place to buy it? :|
    Its sold out everywhere in the US :(

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Only some crap FE here and there in my country, but this lol...

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Waterforce

...straight 1000 euros, holy ****! Out of stock of course though. :O

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070Super
    After several delays i have now pulled my order on my 1080.. my 970's will have to do the job until the ti arrives..
    I guess they did not see the demand for these cards comming, so they manufactured to few.

9. Darman89

Darman89 Guest

I am looking to buy it somewhere in the US :( It is all sold everywhere!
    If it keeps that way i may need to buy the 1070 instead even though i want the 1080 ;[

10. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I'm gaming at 4K with the setup in my sig... and I'm very happy with it so far. I haven't seen any need for a CPU upgrade (for gaming esp) yet and I'm on the little sibling of your CPU. I wouldn't worry about it just yet unless you have $ to burn for a small benchmark boost. :nerd:

11. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    If you can have nowinstock.net open in a browser all day long like I did you might be able to snag one before they get sold out. It took me about 10 days of that before I finally got to one within the 5 minutes they seem to take to sell out every time they are put up on a website.

12. ZebMacahan

ZebMacahan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Thanks for your advise. How do you like your asus strix card?

13. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    It's very good. The one I was able to find in stock (briefly!) was the non OC Strix, ie the exact same pcb and cooler just no factory overclock. I currently have it set at the same core clock as the OC version with an extra +450 on the Memory. I was able to replicate the same clocks that HH did in the Guru3D review and had it running stable, but it was a bit hotter then I liked so I lowered it. I have some better case fans here that I need to find time to install to improve my mediocre airflow in my current case. Even if I leave the clocks as they are it still handles all the games I want to play just fine on Ultra settings @ 4k (just have to lower or turn off AA for the most demanding ones).

14. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I just got my gtx 1080 and I'm only getting 18109 in firestrike, isn't that several thousand short of what it should be?

Or when people talk about their scores are they referring to the graphics score specifically?, mine was 22k.

Overclocked I got 19364. Based on the guru3d review of the g1 card my founders edition is getting 30 points lower than that when my card is overclocked and the g1 is at stock.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

15. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Thanks, I'm glad that means my system isn't running poorly.

16. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the card, I was really pissed when I had to swap from the G1 to the founders edition but the boost clocks are probably the same either way so performance wise it doesn't matter.

Firestrike score overclocked is 23941.

Playing crysis 3 maxed with 8MSAA with a 60 frame minimum is just insane and not something I thought I would see for a few more years.

I can't wait to see how metro last light runs

17. Jysoul

Jysoul Member

GPU:
    2 x ASUS R9 280X OC
  18. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    /nvm

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Yeah, but none is in stock(3-4weeks+ for availability) and that FE card I can get it in a week.

Also is about 65-75euros cheaper than cheapest custom one shipping included.

Anyhow, I never really liked reference cards anyway.

If I manage to resist buying this, all the better for me. :p