The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Got my 2 x asus strix 1080's yesterday..found out that they didn't come with sli bridges! So I have ordered a LED bridge because I can't find any HB bridges, there are some in america but I don't like my chances! REALLY happy with the performance even just running on 1 card atm, with 4K g-sync compatible monitor everything is smooth as silk on ultra @4K 55-60fps in the witcher 3 etc...way to go nvidia!:)

2. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I had to change my order from a G! card to a founder edition because for the second time the ETA they gave me was wrong, at least they priced match and my card is being sent now but I'm pretty pissed.

I've had several reference cards in a wor and was looking forward to the G1.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Sometimes I wonder what's wrong with me... :puke2:

Do you have two old bridges? If you combine two old you'll get the same performance as one HB bridge. The HB bridge is basically two normal ones.

Watch this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWcsaociTjE (7:44)

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's entirely not true and you're totally misunderstanding GPU Boost again. And no, that is not specific to AB, that's how NVIDIA's overvoltage is supposed to work with GPU Boost 3.0.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    From what I've gathered the 1080 has little to no coil whine.

I noticed yesterday when lowering the volume of my speakers that something was buzzing and it was the card, I was playing DS3 at that time. I did another test with Heaven and the buzzing was there to but not when watching a DOTA 2 match.

Sigh :/ It's pretty loud but not so loud that I hear it when gaming normally. Strange though that I didn't hear it until now.

6. JAMVA

JAMVA Member Guru

GPU:
    RYZEN 5800X :)
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  7. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    Does anyone have the EVGA FTW? My question is, can you see the LED lights thru the mesh in the back plate?

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I've been trying to buy a GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming for two weeks now, and I still can't find any in stock anywhere. One online store is willing to get it for me if I order it, but they add $100 extra to the price..

Newegg has it at the lowest price, but they are constantly on "auto notify" mode. Anyone have any tips on how I can get one of these damn things?

9. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    I used nowinstock.net to get my Strix, and that still took a week+ to finally get one before they were sold out.

10. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I recently aquired 2 x asus 1080 strix. Still waiting on the brdge though, It did NOT come with the cards. Even with 1 1080 strix I am able to play "the division"
    @4K ultra 40FPS. With my 28" g-sync monitor it runs as smooth as silk alll the time.

Can't wait unti. the bridge arrives and I can SLI these card. AWESOME!

Nate

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I know I said I wasn't going to buy one but I went ahead and pre-ordered an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW from Amazon for £609 (which dropped to £599 but rather than price-match like they normally do I was told I had to cancel and re-order, which I did). Anyway, it has been showing as "temporarily out of stock" since 15th June when I placed the order even though I don't think they have ever had any in stock! This same card is being sold by Scan and Overclockers for £80-£100 more which really is shocking.

I am happy to wait for now but if Amazon still cannot get them by late July then I will cancel it and just wait for the Ti variant as the card would be almost two months old by then and we'll be two months closer to the next high-end card. Part of me hopes that this will happen because much as I want a GTX 1080 the truth is I really don't need it. :D

12. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    My system is rock solid stable but i have some weird things going on while not gaming, sometimes i get TDR,s when i am browsing and watch a video of YouTube or any kind, when i exit it i get like a blackscreen for 3 seconds then it says drivers had recovered.

Anyne else here got similar problems with the latest drivers and a gtx 1080 ?

Its getting more and more now while we speak, i still think its driver related, like i said i can game for hours and hours and have not such problems, never had a single crash ever with the new cards.

It could be also a dvi problem maybe ?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  13. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Pre-order from NCIX. When they will have them in stock it will be ship to you.

14. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I was having the same problem with the latest HF driver (368.51). Installed the WQHL driver and everything runs fine.

15. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    If it's any consolation, my MSI also has coil whine at high fps and when it's overclocked, especially when it's overclocked.
    On the other side, without manual OC (stock OC Mode set in gaming app) the noise is almost imperceptible.

16. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Gaming X
    I also had it with the latest nvidia driver not sure whats going on, like i said i dont have any problems while gaming lol.

Fix your stuff nvidia cmon.
    My hardware is fine its not defect.

17. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
    Got a couple of questions.

1. Could anybody tell me if this Firestrike score looks correct? Card was around 2050 on the core +- 10, and 5500 memory. http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9096862

2. For some reason, my card doesn't downclock in idle. It stays at 1607mhz. Anybody know what's up? Driver bug?

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti

The score is great, everything is working great on your side ;) Nice card

19. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    1. It's the score one should expected with your system. Great score.

2. Sure? Have you checked form diferent sources? i.e. MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z. Anyway, download and run GPUShark in the link below. In the detailed view it will show you active 3D applications. Perhaps there's one preventing your GPU to downthrottle.

http://www.ozone3d.net/gpushark/

20. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX
    I was totally wrong. Opened case and i can confirm with 100% confidence it's the PSU where the coil whine comes from. It didn't happen with my previous Gigabyte GTX680 wich draws aproximatelly the same power as MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X.

Before running to buy a new one, i want to try to fix it. I have lot's of devices in my PC, i.e. 3xSSD and 3xHDD. I also have the CPU overclocked.
    But high power consumption shouldn't be a problem for my Corsair HX750 (it has now 6 years but it's still a little gem). Look it's efficency and the real max. power it can really supply: 913W with 83,1% efficency

I will plug only the minimum components to minimize power drawn and see what happens. By the way, i would appreciate if MSI GTX 1080 users could tell wich PSU they have and confirmation it doen't whine paired with this card, even at high FPS and GPU OC.

Regards.