The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Well I live in aus where we get ripped off so the cost of the founders 1080 was $1199 and I paid $1149...so not exactly comparable to U.S pricing but for a third party card I thought it was a good buy.

There is australia wide shortages too. I had to pre order one because no stores had stock and I wanted to ensure I got one right away when they come back in.

@Netherwind

Thanks

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Exactly. I remember the first FE OC tests where the reviewers yelled that "omg, we're hitting 1.25mV and we cannot go further" yet here I am with less and apparently that's how its supposed to be? Is the extra headroom saved for 1080Ti so that it will be superultrapowerful?

You mean fiddlin' with the curve? I don't quite understand how it works even after having watched Hilberts video.

The only fact I'm grasping is that the chip needs all the voltage it can get to maintain a high OC. In my case I get artifacts (which still baffles me) at high clocks but the throttling is so strange. It's pretty considerable too, about 40-50MHz almost instantly when the 3D scene is rendered. For me that indicates a shortage of power or too high temps. The latter is obviously not the case since the throttling occurs at 50-55 degrees.

Weird stuff...weird...

I tried having a conversation on the MSI forums about this but they basically blew me off :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Nobody ever declared that Pascal is specified to work at 1.25V. 1250mV voltage wall was only mentioned in extreme overclocking reviews as stability limit that Pascal GPUs could survide under air cooling with hardware voltage mods. Anything above 1.25 results in immediate crash.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Okay I see.

Could you please explain once again what the Voltage slider does? If I understand correctly it's not like the slider for Maxwell and earlier with specific values that are added (up to the chips capability of course). If my chip cannot handle more than 1.093mV, adding 100% voltage wont make it go higher but...what?

5. Unwinder

Please read the link I provided above in this thread and watch video referenced there. I have nothing to add to it.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Yah my understanding is the voltage is currently limited by the BIOS to 1.09v maximum. And the hardware has a hard limit of 1.25v.

Currently we'll need to wait for BIOS modification tools for Pascal to be able to lift the 1.09v limit. I read on overclock.net someone is working on a BIOS Tweaker app for Pascal. But it might be a while as there are significant changes to the BIOS due to GPU Boost 3.0.

-------------

If the current cards are hitting ~2.0 to 2.1Ghz on 1.09v, i bet even a mild overvolt to 1.14 to 1.18v volts would get people into the 2.2 to 2.4Ghz territory. With the smaller GPU die sizes of 16nm higher voltages would likely require H2O cooling. I highly doubt you'll be able to push ~1.2v+ on air without the thing overheating. This isn't 28nm anymore the voltages will be lower compared to Maxwell if your running on air.

There is a good reason Nvidia limited it to 1.09v. I have a feeling these chips get pretty hot when you push higher voltages into them. I do wonder if cards like the EVGA Classified will have a different BIOS possibly pushing voltage beyond 1.09v??

7. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Guys how are you?

I`m having an issue here with my 1080 SLI

Sometimes, almost always when i launch a game one of the cards do not enter in 3d mode i think, the voltage stay in idle mode and the boost do not happen, i have to alt tab and change some value at Afeterburner to see the card voltage change enad the boost happen

This both images are while in gaming, you can see that one card boost the other one not, sli is active, voltage do not increase as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What can cause this? Anyone with the same issue with 1080 SLi?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  8. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Well my cards do not goes to 2d mode i don`t know why

But take a look at core speed at voltage, complete different from cards

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    Does the game actually support SLI?? Some games will only put load on 1 card only and the other card will drop to idle clocks or 3D base clock.

10. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    Yep, it`s happening with any game

Witcher 3, Black Ops 3.... all games with sli support

11. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    My cards i don`t know why don`t come back to 2d clock when i exit some game or even at desktop

The issue is that one card is not boosting the core and the voltages, i can see at AB monitor thet the cards stays with complete different clocks when gaming

12. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    Did you use DDU to uninstall old drivers before installing gpus? Some gpu usage info would be helpful.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Okay, thank you.

I even forgot how to enable this graph :) What I dont understand is why increasing voltage does not affect the core clock?

14. Unwinder

It is NORMAL to see different clocks, they depend on GPU load. And even if there were 100% equal load patterns (which is never having place in reality), the clocks can be different due to different operating voltages.

15. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    It happens immediately, i found this playing with AB now, if i select to desync cards make a change at the one that is not boosting and apply and sync again everything goes normal

Mayse an AB bug so?

Thanks for helping me

16. Unwinder

That's not AB bug. That's a bug in understanding. You CANNOT sync clocks with AB on GPU Boost capable cards. You can sync clock OFFSETS (i.e. expect that both cards run 100MHz faster than default for example), but you CANNOT sync exact absolute clock values and cannot expect seeing both cards running at exactly the same clocks.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    But Unwinders video posts proof that increasing voltage does not increase core speed, at least not in his case. I do get 12MHz more if I max out my voltage :)

18. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    My 970 died 2 weeks ago, so using iGPU while it's on RMA. Been waiting for a Hybrid 1080 to upgrade even before it died. Keep getting pushed back. Did hear from Gigabyte (Have a G1 970 so RMA through them) the 1080 WaterForce is coming to the US in 2 weeks. Seems to meet the time frame for EVGA's Hybrid as well.

Even been trying to get a FTW/SC since hybrids aren't out and iGPU is torture.

19. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    First of all sorry for double posting, it won`t happen again

I installed the EVGA Precision for the 1000 series and the issue has gone, but i really don`t like that software so i cleaned the afterburner folders and registry and installed agaiin, now the bug has gone, AB is working like a charm, both cards running equal, boosting the core and the voltage like it was when i had the 980TI SLi

Thanks for helping and sorry again

20. wsarahan

wsarahan Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan X SLI
    This is a question i would like to know

Here it happens the same, if i increase the voltage the core boosts also but it just happen with AB, with the new EVGA Precision it does not really matter the voltage, the core stay the same