The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I'm sure you will like those Msi ones :).

2. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000

I reckon you shouldn't get the MSI because it's expensive as ****. Reference board, custom board, 6phase power, 20 phase power, we're talking about effective clock variance of 100mhz tops, that's 5% at 2ghz, which you'll almost certainly hit, even on a reference card in the middle of the desert.

If you HAVE to buy soon, go for the cheapest 1070 with decent cooling for low noise and good thermals.

500 euro g1 gaming 1070
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5287567&postcount=46

That's 400 quid

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's this one; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ics-card-gv-n1070g1-gaming-8gd-gx-188-gi.html

Which is £435. For £100 more that would get the MSI Aero GTX1080. When it's put like that and I'm looking at the benchmarks I'm finding it very hard not to lean towards GTX1080 especially since I probably won't be upgrading for the next 2yrs after this purchase.

4. saschb2b

saschb2b Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD HD7950
    Just ordered the gainward glh for 749€ because of the review of pc games hardware. I speak german so I give you a brief translation about the important parts. (Can't post links at the moment because I'M a new member. just google "GTX 1080: Palit Game Rock & Gainward Phoenix GLH")

They are pretty much the same. In terms of io ports, clockspeed, memory speed, fan noise, temperatur and size.

Both:
    Instant on 2ghz
    Stays stable
    Can go up to 2.05ghz
    Can't reach 2,1 ghz

Quieter than Asus Strix and seem higher clocked per default than msi gaming x

5. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I suspect the MSI blower will throttle harder than the FE. It's basically the same minus the vapor chamber; you mat get it to behave, at the cost of noise. I'd avoid the blowers if I were you unless you have a small case with no airflow

Up to you man. I kept a 570 for four years, you'll survive on a 'measly' 1070 for two. ; )

I see it this way, if you have money to burn then just get the highest performing thing you can, if you want to be budget conscious buy a 1070, or even better, a used 980Ti for around 300 euro like someone else here did.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Calm down ;) I'll pick it up tomorrow :)

7. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Thanks! :) OCUK actually got some stock of the MSI Gaming today!! :banana:

Except they must not:beam: have gotten enough in to actually be able send me mine LOL :bonk:

8. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Woohoo! :hbd:

9. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    oh lol, no there for 2 different systems I have at home! im not going 4 way SLI

My main system will keep my titan x in, but i have two extra systems at home running on 6700k that need some GPU love. I won't upgrade my main system unless something like the new titan or TI comes out.

haha, I wouldn't go as far as rich, I just don't have my priorities in order! and end up blowing most of my cash on PC upgrades and other tech! Im sure ill suffer some type of mid life crisis at this rate! :nerd:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  10. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000

Lol, this is your mid-life crisis ;)

I'm only joking, although I really do think the Sli pc bartender mod would be the best possible product of any midlife crisis.

I had a friend of mine who bought like 30 'ipads' in bulk for like 120 each, sold one to everyone he knew basically then had 8 leftover. Ended up with one in each room of the house and the 2 spare became drink trays. For real!

The bathroom one became a mirror essentially

11. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    i used to use 290x crossfire b4 1080.. two of them had 9 tf processing power but 1080 is more powerful then two of them combined

12. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
    can any one tell me how to oc the card

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I can't wait until tomorrow! Gonna see how this PNY GTX 1080 performs. Read reviews about the PNY's in particular being good picks for Founders.

People are too quick to bash Nvidias design. People are OC'ing these cards to 2050boost easily on air.

2100 is hard to hit...can be possible on a realllly good pick. Just like the i7 4790K's, mine can hit 5ghz on air but the gains are too small for the extra heat so I run at 4.7ghz.

Some people can't get theirs past 4.6ghz. Just luck of the pick really.

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Don't think people are bashing the design, people are bashing the price.

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Nah, there is tons of bashing saying these cards can't reach 2ghz cuz of the cooler and or power draw.

I know it's wrong as I've seen these in action.

I've used reference coolers since the GTX 780 and never a problem reaching high lvl OC's.

I'm at 1.46ghz OC @ 70% fan boosted on average with my 980's reference coolers.

I could push 1.5+ with 100% fan but not interested in that noise lvl.

I do agree about the price thing though. I mean I'm willing to go for it since I can, and I prefer these coolers to be honest. I also like the stock Geforce GTX logo on the side.

It's a preference thing.

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super

Translation facts:

In German shops ppl are saying the LED app doesnt work on Windows 10 x64 PRO!

17. Danwillysxi

Danwillysxi Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti
    How do you know that? I sent a webnote RE the FTW I ordered on the 7th when it was still showing 10th as ETA. This was the response...

Thankyou for your webnote, I cannot find your exact position in the queue as you have ordered via paypal, the current ETA is 17/06 and we currently have 220 pre-orders for this GPU.

Regards,

220!!!! I better not be at the back of that queue :bang:

18. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I ordered the FTW at EVGA at 28 May so must be in front of the queue but I'm not counting on it before the 17 of June. Asked twice for when it would come but they could not give me the exact date !

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I present to you the MSI 1080 Gaming X gallery and benchmarks vs my old MSI Gaming 6G 980Ti :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Benchmarks coming soon:
    Code:
    [b]Game		980Ti	1080[/b]
    3DMark FS	20328	24508
    Overwatch	93	93
    Doom		138	161
    Witcher 3	80	96
    FC:Primal	74	93
    Division	76	91
    Battlefront	91	142
    Thief		112	133	

Preliminary OC results give me a boost of 2038MHz at max voltage, max power and +100 on the core. This value can drop to 2024 sometimes but I've not played for a longer period...so not really overwhelmed by the OC.

The good thing is that the card is SILENT, I really cannot hear it at all, even when I reduced all my chassis fans to 50%. Compared to my 980Ti it's night and day.

(I'm still testing but my first impressions is that it's not a worthy upgrade to an OCd 980Ti (has been stated before). Maybe better drivers will improve things, I sincerely hope that.)

The only weird thing is that Power% has yet to reach 100%. Mostly it stays around 80-85% which is new, anyone know if it's normal? Is the card getting enough power?

Edit - Running DDU and reinstalling drivers made a big difference :) Haha how could I forget such a thing.

20. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Nice looking setup Netherwind and congrats on your new purchase!

Another one joins the 1080 club :banana: