The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    oh well that's nice, guess i will tell the person i promised to build a rig to wait a little longer, at this rate the next nvidia series are going to be launched, i just hope they all come with gddr5x so all miners get screwed.

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    It's essential to overclock the 1070 ti manually since Nvidia won't let companies factory overclock it.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    i managed to pick up an msi 1070oc for £250 in december on ebay in uk, looking now they are over 450! guess i got lucky.

4. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i finally got a 1070ti for the build i was planing to build for a client, and for a good price (if 560 is considered a good price), but only one, i hope everything is ok.

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    560 USD? Then yes, I would say that is a good deal.. or at least a good deal for today's GPU economy. I got my 1070 Strix (not TI but factory OC Strix edition) for $440 before the mining craze drove prices up..

6. TonyS017

TonyS017 New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX960 4GB
    I was wondering if getting a GTX1070Ti right now is worth it considering there would be a new release sometime 2Q18. I'm coming from a GTX960 and would want to game at 1080p/1440p on high settings. Got a deal ~$485 for the GTX1070Ti, any thoughts?

7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I mean, there is always another card coming around the corner... so you just need to balance the wait vs the need. A 1070ti will carry you a pretty decent way especially if you are only going for1440 and 60fps.. and for $485 that's pretty good. If you are really worried about future proofing a little bit and getting a better deal then you can wait if you are fine with how your 960 is performing.

TonyS017 likes this.
  8. TonyS017

TonyS017 New Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX960 4GB
    Thanks Kolt, i'm more worried about the prices when I wait though, LOL! Can't say if prices will go up once the Ampere series are released. Anyways, this really got me thinking.

9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That's really the thing, no one can really say. The mining craze seems to be slowly dying down as the value of Bitcoin is sinking, who knows what tomorrow brings! I like mixing a little bit of "live for the moment" and "think of the future" into a sensible drink, if you know what I mean. Either way you will be seeing a nice improvement.

Edit: If you do wait, you may not have to wait too long: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ru...-geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-on-april-12th.html

Given it is only a couple months we are talking about you might want to hold out for the cards to see what they bring.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  10. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I got mine for $490 back in late 2016. I thought the memory for the Vram was also a factor for the GPU pricing and availability not just the miners. Well, at least that what i read on a article couple of weeks ago. Anyhow, i'm hoping this years game are like last years game, not pushing GPU's too much to upgrade to 2070 or 2080. So i'm hoping for a solid 60fps or beyond for the games of this year, since i only have a 60hz 1080p monitor with a GTX 1070.

11. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I kind of see the big 4K push as a way for GPU hardware to say "We don't see any big improvements in graphics anytime soon so here is a reason to buy a new GPU". Marketing. Call me crazy, I know.. but in the past decade graphics really haven't improved as much as it used to with the exception of some lighting techniques and higher resolutions. VR needs a pretty big GPU, but again we are mostly talking resolution reasons. Maybe once hardcore ray tracing comes into play..

I don't mind though. I think developers should start working on some better AI, gameplay, and physics for games rather than keep trying to push that extra teeny bit of detail for a 20fps loss..

12. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Like some of the games that have been coming out are just using an old engine like that new COD WWII game. So they need to improve not only graphics (like the fire you can start in Far Cry 5 looks to be the exact same thing as when they introduced it back in Far Cry 2) but optimize their games so it doesn't take its toll on the GPU. Look what they did with that Prey game that uses that Crysis engine Cryengine. They optimized it so good that even a 1050Ti can run the game good. They've done a pretty good job on the GPU's when it comes to 980Ti, 1080Ti, but you still have to bring the settings down for certain games to achieve a 60ftp on a 4k monitor. I've noticed most of the games they are releasing aren't updated engines but just a different story and world map created. I'm hoping that the new Metro game coming out late this year introduced some new things, but hopefully that game has been optimized for the GPU as well. I guess the only thing we can do is just look at benchmarks and game review to figure out where our system is at, and if we need to upgrade or not.

Kolt likes this.
  13. rodiercz

rodiercz New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    I today ordered GTX1070 as upgrade from my GTX970. Is there any real chance in fps boost on something old as Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz ?
    I seen pages saying nay, I seen pages saying yay. I did not have any fps problems except in Tom Clancys Wildlands and now in Kingdom Come where on High it going to 40fps :(
    But I saw pages and benchmarks results where people with sandy bridge have same good results as people with kabby lake..etc so I get mad and push order button.
    Thanks

14. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It is going to depend on the game. If a game chugs up all your CPU then your extra GPU power won't do you any good, but the improvement from the 970 to a 1070 will still be pretty noticeable overall and for most games. You will probably be CPU bottlenecked in CPU heavy games, but I imagine you'll be fine. With that being said you should start looking at upgrading though.. we aren't just talking CPU performance but also RAM, and you will be missing out on performance that the 1070 would otherwise be pushing out easily.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Bad time to move to a 1070. New cards due out in couple months.

16. kado

kado Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 G1 8GB
    @rodiercz @Kolt
    Playing Battlefield 1 multiplayer on ultra @ 1080p I get from 80 to 120fps (capped) on a x5680 @ 4.4ghz and 6x2gb ddr3 @ 1.6ghz with 99% GPU load (1070 G1) and from 40 to 75% cpu load. This x58 system is still great even though having more than 8 years!

jura11 likes this.
  17. khrl06

khrl06 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070
  18. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    It's a beast of a gpu and definitely worth buying but also depends on what you have now. But if you can't wait until next next year I'd go with the GTX 1070 hands down if you can't afford the 1080 or 1080Ti.

19. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    I just purchased a GTX 1070 Ti FE for $430 brand new. I feel like I was lucky to even find one, none the less one that didn't require a kidney. I just upgraded from a 970. I am putting together a new build piece by piece and I jumped on this when I saw it because I haven't seen any for less than $500+. Anything I should know or anything special I should do? Windows 10 x64 1803

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  20. Koniakki

Koniakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I would say plug it in, install latest(or preferred) drivers and enjoy the hell out of that great deal! :D

maikai and Dragondale13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.