The GTX 1070 Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I tried and I tried, but I saw a good deal and took the plunge. I certainly don't regret doing so, as its now silent when playing games and runs much cooler. We will see in time how Vega and Pascal lock horns.

This is my best Fire Strike score running Core + 165 (2086MHZ after GPU Boost settles) and Memory +475 (8968MHZ). I read online Samsung chips are doing 500/600+ but I get lockups in the Fire Strike Stress Test going over 165 on the core and 475 on the memory, so I take it thats my limit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks!
    It hits 1974 mhz like the other card but goes down to 1962. I've tested a stable 2000 mhz as well but I'm not too concerned for now. I've tried memory at +450mhz and it was perfectly stable. I won't surprised if it goes higher.

It's not just the OC capability btw. Now that I have experience with both a micron and samsung equipped GTX 1070, the samsung unit runs 6-8 degrees cooler in idle under identical conditions. The micron unit would run at 50 degrees idle (default fan curve) and samsung at 42-44.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Interesting bit of info there, cheers!

4. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Joining the club, got my MSI GTX1070 Gaming X today, but I lost the lottery, got a Micron memory chip :(

I don't plan to overclock like crazy (The Witcher 3 on extreme is at a steady 60 fps anyway), but should I still be worried ? I REALLY don't want to rma it ~~

PS : Dunno about you but seems like my memory clock sensor is busted, overclocked a bit and it won't show on GPU-z, that's weird.

5. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Return to seller asap.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, it's not a matter of OCing, it's a matter of being a faulty card. You should get it exchanged without problems since it's a known issue.

7. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Are you talking about the Micron chip ?

Because actually it was GPU-z that had a problem about the memory sensor, I downloaded afterburner, and it shows the good value (moving from 2D to 3D clocks etc).

I've seen that a good chunk of Micron chip 1070 had issues (artifacts and such at stock), and other didn't, a few stress test might be enough to check it.

EDIT : nevermind, saw the article, apparently 100% of micron based GTX1070 will have issues sooner or later, though it seems like they are working on a new BIOS to fix it, should I wait for it or RMA right away ?

So far I haven't had any weird stuff.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try to return it to the seller. If they act difficult then wait for a bios update I guess. At worst request a refund instead.

9. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    I did, and they will refund me, though they couldn't help me as to wether I can get a card not made in China but in Taïwan, so I can't really buy another, I might get another faulty one, and since there's no retailer in my city, I HAVE to order it on the internet.

So I guess I'll go for another card :(

This issue is only with Palit/MSI or other brands are affected by it ? (Thinking of Asus Strix/EVGA FTW ones)

EDIT : Here's something interesting :

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...r-or-bios-bug-in-micron-memory-1070-cards-/2/

It appears that Micron memory is fine, but not in low/default voltage state, meaning that it could be addressed by a BIOS update, and worked around by forcing max voltage, what do you think ?

10. bala_gamer

bala_gamer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX NVIDIA 1070GTX
    joining here back after a long gap, my last desktop card was asus 450 GTS :D , after that used 650m,960m on laptops ,now asus strix 1070 is on its way :)

11. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Bios update as a fix was announced earlier. However, no workaround can stop the eventual failure of the micron equipped cards, except a bios update to address the voltage issue. Without a bios update, as has already been said in the original articles and now seeing more users complaints with a wide variety of brands; failure rate is 100%.

12. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    And the problem is that most of the GTX 1070 are now equipped with Micron memory, so I have almost no chance to get a Samsung equipped one on the internet...

I don't really know what to do :/

13. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Hmm, I would get a refund and wait for this problem to be confirmed to be fixed.

14. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080

Apparently, it doesn't make a difference where the cards are made. I took delivery of an EVGA GTX1070 FTW from NewEgg on September 14, and it was "made in China" and has Sammy memory.

Yesterday, took delivery of an second one for my son's PC from NewEgg, But instead of saying "made in",it says "Packaged in USA", and it has Micron memory.

Just going to hold out, and see if an bios comes out, but personally I think it is just an band aid to cover up a bigger problem. Probably will just step-up to an 1080 if it starts acting up.

15. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Hmm okay that's good to know then, but it probably means that it is a matter of stock, meaning that most of those currently on the market have Micron chips.

Anyway even if I order a new one now it won't be here until next week, I guess I'll just wait until monday, and see if there is any news on BIOS changes (Palit/Gainward already update theirs, waiting for some feedback).

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    That review is missing something very critical when reviewing that specific card. Temperatures.

Look it up. I read a lot of temp problems with that specific cooler on that card.

And we aren't talking a few degrees here. I've read reports of comparable to FE or even worse temps(75-80+'C).

For WC(if block is available) it looks like as good as any. Besides that, it looks solid.

But I'm quite possibly there're "better" alternatives to be had.

18. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Actually, what was originally reported was that all cards made in Taiwan for the international market use Samsung memory. This doesn't mean cards manufactured in China don't use Samsung memory, it does however mean it could be Micron instead.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    (As with many cards) I see user reviews temps all over the place. Some saying 65-70 others higher. I guess a lot depends on case/airflow. Probably not much to go by, but it has highest user ratings of any of the 1070s out there (Amazon/Newegg).

20. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I believe the bold part should help with your concern. :p

Lots of user reports to be found in forums around the net.

Even a few on Amazon/Newegg report high temps.

Nothing against Zotac(I have a 1080 FE Zotac too), just trying to be of help.

Besides those few who reported that "issue", otherwise looks like a solid card. :thumbup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.