The great Lod bias mystery. Amd users must know !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HiCZoK, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Jack Hair

Jack Hair Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 7970 @ 1200/1562
    At least with GTA IV at LOD 1 it looks like I went back in time 20 years. Very ugly textures.

2. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    I am not able to explain this but reshade (sweetfx) totally helped. When I only add the injector to the game, shimmering is gone and mip maps are fixed.
    As long as I dont enable smaa then it messes up.

So I've reinstalled windows and steam. Not messed with lod at all, enabled hl2 - it's shimmery mess. Added reshade - it's all fixed. even with all options turned off ! Just the fact of injecting something upon dx9, fixes the shimmery mip maps.

So I enabled ssaa which blurs hl2 a lot (hl2 fault) and used reshade for sharpen only. The game looks fantastic. It's like a postcard. loving it.
    So we've learned a lot about mip maps and lod but all in all, I think it's either hl2 problem or dx9 renderer in hl2 conflicting with amd or something and injecting reshade breaks the chain of shimmering events at some point :infinity: :grin:

@Jack Hair
    Be careful with changing lod for other games. after all it is proven that for now it only helps with hl2 on some amd configurations. It is tho, a great option to be aware about for some other games to try messing around with. Gta iv have blurry textures as it is, so maybe crank it other way around and add much smaa. Or maybe just set it to default 0 and add sharpening with reshade

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  3. General Lee

General Lee High-tech Redneck

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 650tiBOOST 2GB
    Howdy HiCZoK, haven't seen you in years, maybe since the nVNews meltdown. I just happened across your thread while taking a break from playing HL2: Update @ 4K res with everyone maxed. This game never looked so good. Have you tried installing the Update mod? It's supposed to used higher-quality textures, and so far it's good.

Anyways, just wanted to say howdy, hope you're doing well. Stop by Rage3D and holler at us sometime. Some of your old pals are there. :)

4. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    Hey!
    A little update since I've been asked about this. It might not be of use to anyone but here it is:

Oh It's been a few years since shimmering/lod issue.
    The thing I describe in topic is mostly a specular aliasing. This means that specular highlights are so small/detailed that the monitor don't have pixels small enough to properly display it.

Just use 4k downsampling or just a 4k monitor. If that is not enough then it is down to LOD BIAS setting. Negative lod bias oversharpens textures and causes this specular and texture shimmering. While positive bias, oversmoothens this out.

The fix is very simple. In some games, You can use commands or .ini file to configure LOD bias but on NVIDIA graphics cards, You can globally fix this issue once and for all for all games.
    Just globally force 16x AF in nvidia control panel. While this setting alone does nothing to help, it also forces on option "texture filtering negative lod bias to clamp" which does not allow any game to use negative LOD bias setting.
    [​IMG]

This works perfectly on Witcher 3 for example. The games uses negative bias and Geralts armor can be very shimmer(the chainmail texture with sepculars). Forcing 16x af and clamp setting in nvcp fixes this. For amd, there is .ini fix for witcher3 but I've been using nvidia past few years, so I am not sure if AMD also have the clamp bias setting now in their drivers.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC/UV
    Test with 3DCenter Filter Tester. You probably got screwed by placebo as the option shouldn't have an effect anymore since at least Kepler and is only left to confuse people.

6. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Nice necro. Just from the title alone I could tell it was a necro, since lod bias settings are long dead, Nvidia and AMD alike.