The grass looks greener on the other side

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by svcrawf72, Sep 12, 2003.

1. svcrawf72

svcrawf72 Guest

I so really wanted to get a Nvidia 5900 Ultra 256 when I got back to the states. I figured after the mess up with the 5800 Ultra Nvidia would come out strong with the 5900 Ultra but seems to me the the 9800 Pro VS the 5900 Pro that they both equal about the same depending. The real advantage is ATI doesn't have a bad rap with it's drivers as Nvidia has right now and issues about DX9 and a few other things. Why should anyone who spent so much money on a 5900 Ultra have to wait for good drivers "and hope" that they will out perform and fix the bugs

Guillemot Hercules ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB DDR - OEM
    Specifications:
    Chipset:9800 PRO
    Memory: 256MB DDR memory to boost the latest games with tons of textures
    Bus: AGP 8X / 4X / 2X support for maximum performance with the latest motherboards
    8 pixel-pipeline architecture for increased rendering power
    High-quality onboard 256-bit DDR RAM interface: no bottlenecks, faster frame rates.HyperZ™III+: intelligent memory bandwidth optimization technology
    Full DirectX® 9 & OpenGL® hardware accelerator
    SMARTSHADER™ 2.1: Programmable Pixel Shaders 2.0 & Vertex Shaders 2.0
    Dual display on VGA, DVI or TV-Out (HYDRAVISION™)
    High-quality TV display on CRT and flat Model#: 4860302 -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

$450.00

2. Grov

Grov Guest

I agree, spending so much on a 5900ultra, you shouldn't have to wait for fixes. If you buy that Hercles 9800pro, you won't have to. Though if i was you, id get a 128mb version, and save some cash, the 256mb is not worth it.

3. NIB

NIB Master Guru

I will second this. By the time new games come out that will take advantage of that much memory, your card will be too slow anyway.

4. spinner_dcc

spinner_dcc Guest

don't get the herc.
    I had 2 die on me. get a sapphire or anything else on a reference pcb.

5. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    Hmm maybe you don't have digital vibrance enabled ? :p

6. svcrawf72

svcrawf72 Guest

So I will not get any performance, FPS or any increase at all with this 256 card? It wont help on HL2 or Doom3 at all?

Not that I will play these games but still, I mainly like Madden and Call of duty looks like it will be tight! Anyway I got to think how long I will keep this card as well. Ummmmm. Maybe 1 1/2 years I guess.

7. linx11

linx11 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT@700/1750/980
    Do you all remember when the that first ati card came out that put ati on the map.

It had major driver issues.

If things had gone with the argubly better opengl api, ati would most likely be WHO?

Now that nvidia knows no more opengl, they will fix things quick smart.

I say bring on DirectX10.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  8. GrAC3R

GrAC3R Member

GPU:
    X800XT PE
    256megs can give you a few more FPS at high resolutions with AA + AF, but not enough to waste the extra $$ on IMO.

9. svcrawf72

svcrawf72 Guest

I just saw the screen shots for HL2 and OMG! I never got into HL but I might just buy the game this time! I was wondering what all the hype was about! Also said it was to be released 30 sept but then again it said probably not till 2004. What is up with that? My guess is they are waiting on Nvidia to get it together! or not but still! I hate companies who push things back, it better be GOLD by then! So what do you all think when it will be out?