The good old days................

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by bornagain, Mar 8, 2006.

1. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    I'm sure, back in the late eighties early nineties gaming was so much fun. I remember when I first saw a proper computer, I was around one of my relatives and he was slightly older than me and owned an Atari. From what I remember it was a tank game and was the nuts, even thou it had around 3 colours and the graphics now would look cack!(probably unplayable) Then at school on a computer with what I remember had just 1 colour (green) I think it was called a BBC computer. I used to play worm on it, wow that game was fun! Then finally the beast of a computer the Spectrum 128k (some people owned the 48k version) They had thousands of games for that and some of the best games would take about 45 minutes to load up, and from what i remember those games were so addictive. The best part was when you waited 45 minutes for the game to load then some sort of error would come up and you would have to reload it up.(also the head f**k noise as it loaded, surely that shouldn't have been legal) It used to send me into a trance!

Basically what I am saying is..... Have great graphics ruined the gameplay? or
    Is it that we were younger and just enjoyed the games more?

Oh i wish those days were back were i would get my pocket money, pop down the local Newsagent and buy a game for the total sum of £1.99

Lastly there was a game for the spectrum which you had to walk along the screen(from left to right) kicking arse, what was it called?

2. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Its just nostalgia, play tham now and ther kinda crap, its best to leave them as a pleasent memory, speccy games took around 15 mins to load from tape unless you hade a microdrive, also when i bought jet man when it came out i couldent complete it, then a few years ago i loaded it up on a emu and it was v easy, most games were walking and kicking ass, maybe kung fu master.
    Its time to move on, its time to groove on.

3. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    The Game you played i think it was called Combat, and it was great, you could also choose planes aswell Jets or bi-planes. But the best game for the Atari was pitfall i used to play that with my dad, omg im 31 now i think i was about 8 or 9 at the time. How time fly's, you wanna see my 3 year old girl use my pc she can't even write her own name properly yet but she can bring up her kids websites using the fav's menu, and her mouse control is amazing,she's got it well sussed, she'll be well advanced by the time she's 8 or 9. God knows what the pc will be like when she's 31.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  4. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Yea, while some of those old games were quite good alot were not. I remember playing old Gold Box D&D games on my Commodore 64 and never having such a great time with a games again. There was something about the fact that the concept of virtual gaming was a such a novelty and crappy graphics encuraged immagination (especialy in RPGs), that's one genre that was runied in my mind because of graphics. Games were also less forgiving back in the day, developers didn't care about holding you by the hand making sure you had a great experience (remember King's Quest, you could screw up the game in so many ways and wouldn't even know it until the end when you couldn't finish the game). There was just so many new ideas and concepts back then, and it was all kind of rough, but it was new and it was fun.

5. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    Kung fu master, thats the one, now that is what you call a proper game, or maybe was then a proper game!

6. dr jonz

dr jonz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x HIS Radeon 7970 Ghz
    I played Scorched Earth on DOS til i went crosseyed back when i was in school, I loved that game. Graphics didnt hold a candle to mario brothers back then but it was so damn addictive, lol.

7. Kyaner

Kyaner Hellenic Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 700/1680/1000
    I believe that the problem is lack of imagination, or lack of balls to allow developers to create something new, just in case it flops, so they stick to the same scenarios with small or non existant inovations and keep churning out the same crap over and over and over, just with a different layout.

I personaly haven't seen any ground braking game since the days of Diablo and no matter what everyone says i believe it was the first game that ever combined rts, shoot em up and fantasy rpg.

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Well lets hope Spore is going to be as good as it looks, i think theres somthing for everyone from kids to adults in that game, i mainly play Fps games but Spore has blown me away from the video i saw.

9. Valuga

Valuga Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD/ATi Radon HD4870
    yea lets hope Spore wont be ruined by EA =D

and about old good days well they not so good at all :D its just becos human remembers just good from old past so try to get over it :) but i play nindendo emulator on my smarth phone =))

10. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    in my opinion, making games in 3D ruined some games... now with 3D a new concept appears: "the camera", now you have to control the camera too, look here, look there, there is a wall and camera goes crazy... and some times it doesn't show you everything you need to see. For some people the concept of moving in a 3D world (in a game :p) makes them very confused.

3D has brought a lot of good stuff that couldn't be done before, but to some games it made them worse

11. Silent death

Silent death Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SC Edition
    I still play DAVE regularly

12. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    Paper boy.....wow............ spy hunter......wow specy games!!!

13. Azza92

Azza92 Active Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    a few these classic gmaes are great but i have to stay im much mappy with my games like bf2, far cry, css etc. Maybe its just because im younger and never really experience that 80's gaming time.

14. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFI R9 390
    I still enjoy Abuse and Doom. Ive owned so many different ports for Doom that Ive lost count.

15. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    Yes doom was mad on the emm hmm was it the jaguar 64 or dreamcast or sega saturn oh i don't know........but yes when that game came out the graphics were the dogs, i actually saw it on tv a few months ago and the graphics did look cack, but back then WOW!!

16. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    Actually thinking about it, your right bf2 is the nuts, and maybe back then the gaming was the nuts because thats all we had! I just think maybe in the end games will look so real life, it may ruin the game play!

17. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Its a cycle, in 10 years time you will look back and say `remember BF2, it looked great then and was good to play, now its just pants`.

My first computer system was the binatone in the late 70`s (for tennis/pong). In the early 80`s i got an Atari 2600, and was blown away by Vanguard. I then went to a commodore 64 whilst my mates had the BBC/Acorn electron and a Speccy 48 & 128 (i think one even had an Amstrad something or other with green graphics), and Spy hunter was the game of the day then. I then moved onto the Commodore Amiga with hard drive (which i sold about a year ago on Ebay), and liked games like Marble madness, Kickstart, Way of the exploding fist etc. I then went to consols, getting a PS1 (just for the grandprix game), a Sega saturn (for house of the dead), and a Dreamcast (house of the dead 2). Before buying a PC in `99 for the Rainbow 6 series.

MATT (36 years old BTW)

18. bornagain

bornagain Master Guru

GPU:
    Please close my
    Bloody hell!!!!!!!! your memory is good, I'm 28 and couldn't remember all the stuff, thanks for reminding me. Damm i shouldn't have abused my brain in my early days.........Balls!!! :bigsmile:

P.s what's the res on that monitor and whats it look like for gaming?

19. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    My first system was a nintendo for my sisters and I. Some classic games but since I was so young, I never really got a chance to beat anything. Contra was awesome though, one of my all time favorites. But if you just sit and think about how complex some games are nowadays, you wouldn't want to go back. Sure, sometimes the plot suffers a little, but think of how much more immersed in games you are compared to the first games created. Sometimes playing games like BF2, I will get so sucked in that the area around the screen kind vanishes. Hopefully we will get some good plot driven games out soon though.

20. Thug

Thug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080

Its at 1280x768, and is absolutley fantastic for gaming. There is no ghosting what so ever, and looks great for gaming, surfing and digital image design work.

MATT