The "Godfather" of fps games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by sAAdC, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    No other game can claim what Doom can claim though. That is to say, back in the day you didn't call them 'first person shooters,' instead you always heard them called 'Doom clones' and I think that really says something about the importance of the game.

I have to say though, that there is always a game to make generational leaps ahead of its predecessors. Doom was the start, Quake revolutionized the genre and branched it out, while Half-Life took an entirely different path by preferring nuanced story and puzzles interspersed with intense combat in an environment which at the time I could only describe as "massive." Half-Life 2 continued that path and capitalized on physics interaction. I think the next big change was with STALKER and its smooth meshing of FPS, RPG, and adventure all crammed together into a (rather buggy) package. If I were to use the very loose and literal meaning for FPS, I would consider Descent and Portal as being a part of the continuing FPS revolution. Descent was incredible in being a truly three-dimensional environment where you could move in any direction. A more 'traditional' approach to that would come in Prey which was a good way to blow chunks late at night due to the mind bending physics. Portal though, to me, was one of the best times I've had in a game. I guess I had gotten so used to (older) 2D puzzle games that with Portal it brought the Half-Life puzzles into an entirely new world. Finally, a game that revolutionized the genre again was Garry's Mod. It's the sheer ability to do absolutely anything that is the attraction there and that I think is an incredible feat, especially for what started out as a free mod. Though, just like the original, it still has its share of bugs which seem to fluctuate between every update in seemingly random ways.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i think deus ex blended fps and rpg and awsome story long before STALKER ever saw the light of day.

3. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I think the big difference is that STALKER is just about completely open. You can play for hours upon hours just exploring the wastes before going to the story mode which is why I feel it's more like FPS and adventure with some RPG elements than straight RPG and FPS. It's that sandbox gameplay that I feel really made it more revolutionary than its peers. If it were just those two genres System Shock and Deus Ex would be good examples of older games that tied those together.

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    OMG CS!!!

I kid I kid. Haven't really played many FPS games (not the biggest fan despite the fact that I'm ok at them), but half life was my first FPS and got me somewhat into them.

5. 3Dghost

3Dghost Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Ed
    I agree...I just finished replaying COD 2 and the iron sight is just so satisfying. I loved it in crysis too. every time I play a FPS without it it feels so unrealistic shooting while holding your weapon by your waist or so.
    +1 for iron sight and epic gameplay

6. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    I like Crysis, but then again I suppose I like messing with the suit modes.
    As for the Grandaddy, either Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark (which is essentially Goldeneye gone overdrive) or perhaps Doom. I never played Doom though.

7. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
  8. GhostfaceKillah

GhostfaceKillah Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275 896MB DDR3
    half-life was an incredibly polished engine with slick controls and gameplay (except for pushing boxes, wtf?)

F.E.A.R. used shadows, lighting and sound to create a very tense atmosphere.

Deus Ex was one of a kind... I'm going to play this again now.

Half-Life 2 was the new standard... I'm still blown away every time I play this game.

Crysis is Crysis... until I can run it at a smooth 60fps I will never really enjoy it fully.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Bioshock, it definitely deserves an honorable mention.

9. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    BioShock can't be called a godfather.
    It's more like a noble descendant

10. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    I would Say DOOM3. after that the one Hardcore Shooter that really put it into it was FEAR Series. what action. nothing like blowing up someone in to smithereens and watch it in Slowmo. It was like poetry...Just beautiful.

11. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Halo was and still is the most enjoyable fps I can pick up an have fun for hours.

12. oka1992

oka1992 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Halo was extremely fun in the multiplayer aspect... the single player was a mediocre unoriginal adventure even worsened by "The Flood." The outdoor levels were amazingly mapped, yet the indoor ones were the worst levels ive see on any fps game.... it was overall a mediocre game.

13. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Halo 1 PC multi was awesome :D Blood Gulch sniper camping was amazingly fun, when you weren't the one being shot :D

14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    And Unreal Tournament blew all of those away :p

15. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Yeah, UT was a great game, but I always blamed it and Quake 3 for killing FPS games with single player campaigns.

16. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    zero tolerance . definately. ;)
    [​IMG]

17. metaltoiletry

metaltoiletry Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5870
    I will have to go with Maze War.

18. Stinger78

Stinger78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I'd say between Doom and Quake -
    Duke Nukem 3d added character, humor and interactivity to it

Half-Life, along with the orignal Unreal showed off what type of graphics PC's were capable of - helping to immerse the player - in comparison to something like Goldeneye (and other FPS games) on N64 with all the fog and generally slower responsiveness.

19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Lots of young gamers in here, hah.

On paper it has to be Wolfenstein 3D, whether one likes it or not, but I see lots of people posting their favorites instead. By definition, it should be the parent, the original of the FPS genre, that's what Godfather in this context is, and that's Wolfenstein 3D and none other. Now, if we had to post which FPS game(s) revolutionized this and that, then it would be a completely different story.

20. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    True true. You know what I hate? That all these random Counter-Stike/TF 2 servers have the "quake sounds", which are in fact taken from the original Unreal Tournament. Then the people on the server are all like "omg these Quake 3 sounds rox".