The Glide good ol days

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by DSparil, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    The above posts are completely correct, recently become slightly addicted to flick kick rugby on my galaxy s and i get called childish by the mrs. It is however completely different to go on a "group outing" with 6 other women to see sex and the city. Sh1tpot film that it is, and then talk about it for 4+ hours. Also, i get annoyed when someone on the phone asks what im up to and she replies "oh just playing one of those silly games".<<Insta Rage

2. angmar

angmar Guest

my first experience with 3dfx was the voodoo2x2 I i used to play quake death match 24 hrs a day and the graphics at the time were INSANE...Transparent water? no ****in way! lol...god I was a beast..we had cable realtively early in the broadband boom here in nj I used to run around with a 50 ping demolishing dial up users hah they would be dead for 3 seconds before they even knew it lol.

3. Banky

Banky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I remember the greatest gaming "moment" I ever had was starting up Thief after I put the Voodoo 3 3000 pci and a Creative Soundblaster pci 512 (with EAX) in my cheap Gateway computer. I was blown away. Maybe that's why Thief is still my favorite game of all time, and is installed on my PC today.
    I can also remember reading an article in a pc magazine about the time that Half Life was coming out; the title of the article was, "Would you upgrade to 512mb of RAM just to play a video game?" And they were actually opposed to it if I remember correctly. lol

4. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Glide was an epic API. My brother had a PI 166MHz, 32MB RAM and a Voodoo2 8MB card. We started Hexen 2 with Glide....and we were awe struck! It was the first time we'd witnessed bilinear filtering in it's full glory. Then I got a PI 200Mhz, 64MB RAM and a Creative Voodoo Banshee 16MB. We played everything possible with glide.....Ah, this thread has instigated some nostalgia....:)

r2rX :)

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ahh, Hexen 2 in glide! I still own that game to this day and that was a great game to run in glide. The first game I ran with my original V3 was Unreal. Talk about eye candy for someone who was using software rendering until that point? damn :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I should receive a Voodoo Banshee soon. The funny thing about it is, I wasn't even looking for a 3Dfx graphics card, just one that's in PCI. After having lost a very interesting auction for a 8400 GS, that Voodoo was the only worthwhile card to get, as I'm not forking out €60 for an OLD PCI videocard.

Yeah, you guys've guessed it: I need it 'cause I wanna be able to reflash my other video cards if things go wrong on the first time.

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Our recycling center is full of Voodoo3 cards. =)
    Im hoping to find better 1 someday. 4-5-6 x)

8. mlambert890

mlambert890 Guest

GPU:
    GTXTitan@1200 tri-SLI
    Funny thread... my first 3DFX cards were original Voodoo 2 12MBers in SLI that replaced my Rendition Verite card. I remember agonizing over what 2D card to pair with them and ultimately went back to good old Matrox (who at the time was the king of 2D - back when >2D< was still an uncertain prospect!)

I still have a Voodoo 5 5500 in the PCI Mediator add-on in my original Amiga 4000T.

Although I have to say that its really mainly nostalgia. Looking at my setup today, its sort of funny when I think back and remember how those Voodoo 2s in SLI seemed so incredibly immersive.

Its not like harking back to the days of 4 color sprites (which I also do). The prehistoric 3D days were still real time texture mapped (or flat shaded... LOL) polygonal 3D rendering, so its sort of a direct comparo.

Having just completed my latest Unigine runthrough in 3D Surround with max detail (5040x1050) with 3D photo realistic images running across 3 screens at a higher framerate than I used to get in Unreal at 800x600 on a Voodoo 2 puts things back in perspective.

The nostalgia factor is still great though.

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    ahh
    my nostalgia for 3dfx...

wait a minute, I was just playing them this wednesday...

10. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Active Member

GPU:
    2 x MSI 570 Twin Frozr II
    Best gaming days of my life. Absolutely loved Voodoo1 and 2.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    was going through my old mags, thought i'd share this voodoo 2 article for sh1ts and giggles. i like looking at some of the old Ads too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Joe

Joe Active Member

GPU:
    Galax GTX 970 @ 1400/3900
    Couldnt agree more, 3DFX were in the day simply amazing. :D then of course i went to an TNT :) i'm pretty sure if i cleaned out some boxes id find some old computer hardware, don't think i've ever thrown in out.

this forum section tho after reading through is bringing back some awsome memories, used to love the 3DFX logo that would load up on the splash :Dahhhh i want an old system to play with :(

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  13. RanCor TDO

RanCor TDO Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1080 GameRock
    I remember back in 1997 or 98 I had a Matrox Mystique GPU with like 2 meg of memory on it. I used to play Quake 2 ALOT as it's one of the greatest games of all time.

I wanted better graphics so I went and got myself a Voodoo 2 card and man that thing was amazing, made Quake 2 look almost like real life, no infact it looked better than real life! My next card after that was the GeForce 256 DDR.

Ah the good old days.

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Now days a glide wrapper is far superior to any 3dfx card made. You can run max resolution your monitor can support and all the colors in the rainbow :) Those of you speaking about how glide runs diablo 2 best are incorrect. Nowdays with d3d with 1.13c patch glide doesn't hold a candle to it. I know this for fact because I have a old system with 3dfx card in it. Personally my favorite old computer is without without a doubt the Commodore Amiga.

15. nosequeponer

nosequeponer Guest

GPU:
    gtx 570 twin froz III
    my first one was a vodoo 1 with 4mb... attach to a pentium 75mhz... in a nearly 2.000€ IBM computer....

16. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Hell yeah, same here, i had voodoo2 SLI! still have it posted on my wall at my pc shop. My wall of fame.

I started with 3dfx Voodoo 4MB, then went for voodoo2 SLI, then Riva TNT 2 16mb, then i had a bunch of MX cards which worked good back then. And yeah games did feel smoother back then with no tearing.

17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Sure Glide wrappers are cool, but "running at max resolution" and playing Glide games in 32 bit color isn't what its about. Its nice to be able to do it, but playing Glide games like that now is like driving a '67 Shelby GT 500 with a drop down LCD, built in GPS and heated seats. lame

18. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    You guys made me dig out my old Voodoo 1. Brings me back to my 1st online game "Quake 2 lithium". In the process of looking for my voodoo card I found my old ATI EGA Wonder. It had a whopping 256KB of cache. Check out this 2009 write up here on guru3d. It might bring some of you back in time --> http://www.guru3d.com/article/the-history-of-guru3dcom-part-ii/1

19. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Guest

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    Thats a cool article,cant remember which voodoo cards i had in sli,but brings back memories.
    I still have that game heretic2,i fired it up not long ago still plays like it did back in the day never did finish it though......

20. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Games back then were so hard to configure for newcomers. I'm very obstinate by nature, so I'd always fine tune the settings, but a friend of mine who isn't like me was like: "The game doesn't look that good." Then I told him to raise the resolution and set the rendering mode to... err... can't even remember. xD It was probably Matrox something, 'cause he had a G400. I was jealous, 'cause my Banshee couldn't do bump mapping — not that it was extensively used back then anyway.