The Glide good ol days

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by DSparil, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Heh, you can see how long ago it is, as the Voodoo1 wasn't SLI capable :p

2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i still have an 8 mb rage xl with expansion slots for more ram lol

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'm kinda glad glide isnt around, propriatery stuff like that can be good in some ways but usually bad in most
    it couldve been a monopoly if many developers adopted it and 3dfx was still around, cause then games like unreal would only look and play good on them so everyone would have it, then theres no real competition.

anyone remember the witch board?

it was back when alienware came out....if i'm recalling correctly and please inform me if i'm wrong.... it enabled both a voodoo card and a nvidia tnt card to work in SLI
    i dunno how it worked but i remember the ads
    i guess the idea was to have both glide from 3dfx and 32bit color from nvidia while making more power? i remember alienware had a falling out with the makers of witch board and ridded of em and just stuck with 1 nvidia card usually since they were more powerful...and 32 bit, big thing back then

how come stuff like that doesnt exist anymore? imagine running both ati and nvidia at the same time...lol

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I don't think they were working in SLI. I think it would be more like using one of the two cards that you want at the time. Glide, or 32 bit color.the two cards are incompatible. They use different tech and drivers. I can't see how a board could run two completely different cards together. I would be interested in a link if you have one though.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i never understood it either, i googled for it but all i come up with is ouji board or alien supernatural stuff and forums where people spell which as witch..lol

alienware had thier own drivers for it, witchboard was made by someone else and they parted ways for whatever reason, but i swear i seem to remember its ads in gaming mags as saying something like twice the power and fps but who knows, you may be right
    i figured surely someone here remembers that...they were out like back in 1998 or 99, around when unreal and half life were out, i think it was voodoo 3 and a tnt 2

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Hm. I don't think i've come across it. I think i would have remembered something like that :D

7. top41

top41 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800GS AGP @ GT [16/6]
    :coffee2: I wanna get one but never had a chance.

8. razrx

razrx New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB
    I think the card you are referring to is the Canopus Spectra 2500 TNT AGP card.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It could work with Voodoo 1s and Voodoo2s. Especially the Canopus Pure3D II. You could do an internal reverse pass-through - nicknamed Witchdoctor.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Yes! I remember the clq.com site. Isn't that the site that hard all your quake statistics? I was so addicted to Quake2and Quake3 I even got quake symbol tattooes lol

Man those were the days...

10. JoetheMobster

JoetheMobster Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix R9 390
    same here man, still have mine tucked away. Hell, not long ago I finally tossed out my original Diamond Monster3D with a whopping 4Mb of RAM! I had it paired with a Matrox Mystique 220 with a mind boggling 2Mb of RAM :banana:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008

11. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Member

GPU:
    ATI FireGL T2-128
    I've still got a a Voodoo 3 3000 in my old Dell.
    OC'd the gpu up to 180 something Mhz so it could keep up with the voodoo 3500 my buddy had.
    It started out as a dell with a pIII 500 128MB of ram but along the way was upgraded to a 750mhz with 512.

I was never into quake that much but I played tribes for hours and days on end.
    My buddy and used to bring our home PC's into work on the weekends and use our work T1 line.
    We'd start friday evening and go all night and all day saturday living on pizza delivery's and soda's from the machine outside our office.

There was just something about starting a game and seeing that spinning 3dFX logo.
    It made me so mad when I bought Red baron 3D form my newer computer and realized that my radeon 8500 wouldn't run the game in glide and the directX textures looked terrible.

12. Atel

Atel Member

GPU:
    PowercolorHD4870x2 2048MB
    Ah Glide, how I miss thee.

I played Quake 2, Unreal, Interstate76 and all those other ancient 3d games on a Pentium Pro 180mhz with a 4mb Diamond Monster3d. Seem to remember the 2d card I had at the time was some s3 Virge piece of doodoo, but 640x480 never looked so good and that PPro kicked through all those games effortlessly! (I believe she's still serving Linux in someone's cupboard somewhere too - all these years later :)

Edit: I just found the AWE32 I had in that system, complete with 16mb SIMMS plugged into the memory expansion slots on the card! I opted for the AWE32 while my friends all bought Gravis Ultrasounds. The Gravis was ground breaking, but the AWE32 just worked with far less hassle.

After that though, I jumped to nVidia's TNT on a 450mhz P2.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  13. Drakilis

Drakilis Member

GPU:
    MSI 9600GT 512MB
    Hehe, I remember my first Voodoo card, must had been about 12 years ago when I had a Pentium 133. It was a Diamond Monster 3d (4mb Voodoo 1). Looking at games for the first time in fast 3d acceleration was quite odd I will say. The textures were no longer pixelated, everything was all smoothed out and the framerate was good. I remember loading up the original Tomb Raider in glide and how I was so impressed with the water in that game, I'd swim in it for hours in marvel.

Another game that blew me away was about a year later with Jedi Knight, that game rocked in so many ways. Back then I played alot of Star Wars games since well, they were awesome back then. I think I played pretty much every major one in glide/direct3d. Oh and you can't really forget about MDK either. I don't think I'll ever be as impressed as I was with games back then, however, 3d acceleration was pretty new for gaming back then, so go figure.

But who knows, maybe when ray tracing games come out someday we'll be completely shocked again.

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    im pumped and had to revive this thread, because I finally installed a good glide wrapper for my pc. Its great to play old titles in glide, like UT99 and Quake2. Last night I was playing UT99 for hours and it reminded me of how I used to stay up until 4am playing it online on my Voodoo3 lol. It sucks though, because I can't get glide to work with Hexen2. I keep getting errors and crashes when I try to boot GLHexen2. Although I can run it in OpenGL just fine...

15. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Dude, when I got my first PC — had played PC games before, but still —, my first game was Half Life on a Voodoo Banshee from Creative — only product I've ever owned from them, haha.

16. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Once I had a voodoo 4. Didnt work well with my P4 so I got geforce 2 GTS.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  17. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    People have a problem with videogames just because they're a newer type of entertainment. Oh, and because there's the word “game” in it, those same people assume they're only for kids.

They're just stuck in the 60's or something, that's all. That and some people can't make links between the past and now... I mean, after all, people have been playing board games for centuries already.

18. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I remember playing UT 99 on my old Banshee... that and Heretic II! God, the French voices in that game were so funny (in a bad way)!

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yeah, I believe this was around the time that 3dfx started falling behind because of lack of hardware T&L in their video cards. The Riva TNT2 really brought some punch, and that combined with some bad business decisions by 3dfx led to their downfall.

I greatly agree with this. A large portion of the older populace seems to feel "games are for kids", but they couldn't be more incorrect. Also, most of these people don't seem to know or understand that many modern video games are meant for an older, more mature audience; NOT for kids.

20. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I'd go even further than that by saying that even some videogames that don't depict violent or sex scenes can be too hard for (nowadays) kids — I'm mostly thinking about older videogames, like Genesis or SNES games. Those were hardcore. :D