The Glide good ol days

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by DSparil, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Sure you can, just get a glide emulator.

2. sonoma1983

sonoma1983 Active Member

GPU:
    ati HD3870
    I remember when I got my 3dfx voodoo 2000 pci for christmas. It was awesome playing jedi knight dark forces II, nascar racing 3, and some others games using it. Then I flashed the card to a voodoo 3 3000 pci model :D.

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    Oh yeah, my retro system is almost complete :-D

Well, I decided today to finally build the retro gaming system that I have been meaning to build for quite a while.

Anyway, the specs so far are:

Micron Millenium Mxe computer case
    Tyan S1854 motherboard
    1Ghz Intel Celeron (I hate Intel BTW, but this is the only working board I had that had AGP, PCI, and ISA slots).... and it will definitely be fast enough for any old games.
    1GB PC133 SDRAM - 1x512MB & 2x256MB
    3DFX Voodoo 5 - 5500 AGP
    Soundblaster AWE64 Gold!
    3Com Parralel Tasking II PCI Ethernet
    Antec 450w PSU
    3.5" floppy
    32x CD-ROM
    100MB Zip drive (I left it in there because I don't have another 3.5" drive cover. It won't even be hooked up at all.)
    And Win98SE as soon as I figure out which HDD I am going to use.

And then I can retro game like never before!

Oh, these parts are all old stuff I had laying around and/or required from other people getting new computers.

Now I just have to figure out where my old game pad is... I think I left it at the parents' house.. oops.

4. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    oh yeah! I am typing this on my retro rig... I had to use a 3Com 3C905C card instead of the 3C905B card.. the B card ended up being bad... now it is time for me to go to bed.. I will have to test with games later.

Oh, and I am using a 40Gb WD HDD.

And I think I actually got rid of my old game pad a while ago.. I couldn't find it... now I just have to hunt one down at the thrift shops.. argghh

BTW.. I haven't seen a system start up or shut down this fast in quite a while. Win98SE is blazing fast on this rig :-D

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    thats awesome. you are gonna have some good retro times on that comp ;-)

Windows 98SE was my favorite version of windows until XP pro, and was easily the best for games I think. Pretty stable too

6. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    yep.. I am copying over stuff now.. after having finished configuring DOS and Windows.... Some tweaking still needs to be done, but I can't wait to play old games like the Wing Commander series, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Doom GL, Alone in the Dark, King's Quest, Space Quest, Mech Warrior, etc.... ooohhh, I am starting to drool!

7. Boris.G

Boris.G New Member

8. AMD64

AMD64 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward Geforce 7800GS (7900GT)

You're not old, Im old 44 and still playing games. I dont care what other people say abot that, Its my life and Im doing what I want :)

9. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    LoL, 44 and still gaming :D

I thought choosing raw speed over quality was what brought 3Dfx down?
    (They stuck with 16-bit for faster FPS while nVidia went into 32-bit)

10. t3chn0m0

t3chn0m0 New Member

GPU:
    Sparkle GeForce 8800 GTS OC/640 MB
    Did someone play this game?
    http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=uplead&page=4

It looked absolutely astonishing on Glide. I played Quake with an P150,16MB RAM (PS2 - Fast page mode ) and a IBM Desktar 3GB + Spea Mirage P64 GK with 2MB VRAM ( S3 Trio 64 Chipset ) . After that I spend unbelievable amounts of money on a PII-350 64MB EDO RAM ( ~ 1200DM ~ 1000$ ,just for the RAM) a brandnew Diamond Viper V330(Riva 128,4MB SGRAM ) and played GL-Quake on a "alpha GL driver" for the Viper. Later I bought an Diamond Monster 3D and it was a show to play GL-Quake on LAN ( kind of oldschool LAN ~ 10 years ago :) )

11. BrNz

BrNz Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    hah - wow bring back the memories.

P233 - 128meg of PC100 Ram
    8meg AGP Vid (Trident I think)
    And dual Creative Voodoo II's

I played so much Quake 2 that when I sold the cards (after getting a Voodoo 3) the guy complained that the PCB's were warped into 's' shapes. I never even noticed till I saw the pic he sent me.

And the cards still worked!

Jeez.. now I'm going to have to find Unreal and see if I can run it on this thing.

12. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    I still have a Voodoo 2 but sadly the fact it doesn't do 2d means I've never used it. Would love to get a Voodoo 3 or something to throw into a old computer just for Unreal Tournament.

Speaking of glide though, did anyone ever play Unreal Tournament on S3 Savage 4 cards? It looked great! Much better and crisper then the ways other cards rendered the game, like Glide there was a special renderer just for S3 S4 owners, which is rather strange but there you go.

13. pieisgood

pieisgood Guest

GPU:
    4870 512mb
  14. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    It looks like a pile of Voodoo 5 boards or something...

15. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Glide was about 3x faster than Direct3d in it's day, I remember running Grand prix legends at 800x600 on my voodoo 1 4mb, ran smoothly too, only the 200mmx couldn't keep up with the AI at the start of a race.
    For those that have been around a while a couple of infamous quotes.
    1. Year 1994. computer shop salesman: "what size hdd are You thinking of?
    Me: "420mb"
    css: "What do you need all that for?,You will NEVER fill it"
    2. Also 1994. Games store salesman: "what spec computer are You running?
    me: " 486dx2-66mhz"
    gss: " WOW!"

seems funny now, eh?

16. Ghz

Ghz Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800ultra 256mb
    that smoothness you guys are talking about has to do with DX 7 and later.

earlyer versions were direct draw it drew the scean instead of frame by frame.

directX is the bane of all GFX. and OpenGL is almost as bad.

17. Ctrl_Alt_Delete

Ctrl_Alt_Delete Active Member

GPU:
    Crossfire (2) X1950XTX 512 MB @ 695
    Yeah you guys are bringin' me back. I still have my P1/166 Voodoo 1 machine with 64 mb of ram. I used to play "Hornet Korea" on it man that was fun. I remember the old PC mag ads for Voodoo. "It's Voodoo or it's doo-doo". :grin:

18. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    haha i have a 486 in my basement

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    hahaha wow, I remember those days. I had a 486 DX2 66mhz myself back then. I slapped an overdrive chip on the processor that made it the equivalent of a DX4 100mhz and thought i was really cookin lol. It couldnt run Quake 1 for crap though, so I upgraded soon afterward...

20. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)
    I remember getting Unreal 1 after seeing my friend play it at his house. Figured it would be fn for online play

Installed it on my parents Compaq, AMD 266MHz, 64MB RAM, 6GB HDD, and onboard video. Little did I know that onboard video wasn't gonna cut it. Got like 3 frames per second trying to play it

Dude my mom worked with told me he had a Voodoo 3 for sale, 100 bucks. Man o man Unreal looked great on that thing.

Still have it around, used it in my current system while I saved up for my 7900GS. And hell yea I played Unreal on it