The Gainward Myth, GS 6800/2600. (5 sec. hangs)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cb99, Sep 26, 2004.

1. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
    I have a couple of the Gainward GS 6800/2600 cards. (should do in 430/1200 regarding to Gainward statement)

The first batch where stock cooling on there 471846200-6015 product number, there later one on 471846200-6015, was with two fan copper cooler.

The main forum in Germany has been down for a long time, vacation they say, it's up now since a few days.

I will present a simple tests so any one can see for them self that those cards does not deliver what they promise.

1. Get RivaTuner.
    2. Get the Nvidia v65.73 drivers these have a good survival rate on the problems you get.
    3. Get MOH pacific assault demo.
    4. You need a pretty good machine to.
    (mine, a good 550 psu, 5 straight through fans, well cooled, and updated XP)

Start RivaTuner'S, clock/heat monitor.
    Set the Pacific demo in 1280*960, turn on all goodies

Run the demo for a while, after some time you get hangs, and after a few seconds the demo continues.

When you later look in the RivaTuner clock/heat log, you see that if you had 3 "hangs" you also got three auto lowering of the clock on the card to the bios preset value.
    OBS, if you have not over clocked the card so it can lower it to the bios default, it hang for good instead!

You can also see that the lowering of the clock, happens at a lot lower temperature than it says in the control panel!!! (there are a lot of people with heat problems out there, and the lowering happens a good 30% before than stated)

Some people suggest that you should turn of fast write, and other bandwidth limiting measures.
    Sure, that helps, but do you want to run your new high preformance card at crippled rate?
    This is a bit like turn of the turbo on a turbocharged car, because it can not handle it.

The faster hardware amd64 and up, the more problem you have.
    I think they did the limiting part when this hardware was not around, meaning that more and more people gone get problems with the cards when they upgrade cpu/mobos.

I hope that Nvidia soon fix this extremely annoying problem, so I can use what I spent my money on!

The fun part is, that my non copper cooled card actually works better than my copper cooled, so I have not left it for a change.

These people have fast hardware, and they all have the same problem, it is just so spread out, and nobody focus on the real problem causing this:

Other people with same problem.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Having same pausing issue / slow down issue
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107971

6800 Gt Help
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107688

Constant Slowdowns with the 6800GT
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107887

6800 Ultra big prob
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107689

Performance & Stability issues:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107624

6800 Ultra stuttering solved: (he switched to ati:))
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107353

Problems with Geforce 6800GT
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107071

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  2. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Their forum is open now...

3. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    oh. so does that mean my GS sucks??

how would nvidia fix it. would they release new drivers, would dat fix it?

4. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
    If there where a bios (if possible) that did not throttle the clock the way it does now, that would fix it.

If it is built in to the hardware, then there is no way fixing it.
    The people that notice this, is people with a new and fast mobo/cpu.

I do not think this is a GS only problem.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004

5. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Most of the issues are due to over-overclocking/heat. People beat the $hit out of their hardware and then complain in the forums. If there wa a bug in the hardware/software, all of us would see/have it and I for one have no issues at all...

6. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
    I just have one thing to say, and that is that any one with a good hardware, can do this test for them self, and see the result.

I talking over clocking 1Hz, so you do not get a hang, but a lowering of the clock.

Let people try for them self, most suggestions for this issue is different sorts of limiting bandwidth, which I think is the wrong approach.

The links above was what I clearly could see quickly skimming the last 10 days posts.

7. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Use the Expertool Information screen to check your BIOS version number. If it is lower than 5.40.02.15.06, use Expertool to download the latest version and follow the instructions in that archive.

Absolutely no problems here BTW :p

8. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
  9. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Old, false news. Anyway, try turning off you automatic updates..

10. cb99

cb99 Member

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 ti
    Problem solved.

Well, any one can check for them self at NVIDIA home pages, there whql ones are from:

Version: 61.77
    Release Date: July 27, 2004

Since then they manage to leak several more to us test rats ;-)
    While ATI manage to release a couple of whql.

And this in a time with many new major titles released.

Any way, problem solved, I now got me an X800XT, which works fine in my rig.

No hangs, no stutter no nothing, just plain works.

Read for fun the ATI part of the forums and compare the type of posts, and you see what I talking about.

cb99

11. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Send me your 2600 :p

12. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 7800GTX 512mb
    I have also problems with MOH Pacific assault, it has nothing to do with the card.....its just the drivers, I can play everything, Farcry, loop '05 for ages no problem at all, and its a demo btw which sucks......

Also the screw of the GPU aren't tightened enough, (from factory) I AS5'd the whole thing and I get a load temp of 62c

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004