The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No... Steam or die!

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yeah I understand that. The whole fact that we don't actually own the game and we are only getting a license is kind of why it's a big deal. It makes the platform and service even that more valuable and critical. The fact that our games are a product that has to exist in the hands of a "host" makes it even more important that the "host" is someone we want to do business with and trust. My point there was that when you buy a fridge it doesn't matter if you got it from Best Buy or some other store. After you buy it you don't have to deal with that store anymore (outside of if there is a warranty issue, and most of the time you can get warranties straight from manufacturer). You can install the fridge in how many homes you want, as it is completely yours. You don't need a fridge launcher or fridge account (unless you have some crazy Samsung fridge that needs an account.. again nitpicking lol). With PC games we are tied to the launcher and service that the game was purchased from unless you buy it from a DRM source like GOG. If anything, Epic is most likely going to hurt sites like GOG and in the end that only hurts the consumers who may want a completely DRM free video game. I don't know exactly what Epic's plans with GOG is, if anything, so I can't really say for sure. I also don't really use GOG myself much (for some reason my bank hates that site), so I can't really comment too much on that.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Again, why is that something to get so passionate about?

I have my games set-up from desktop shortcuts in a folder on my desktop (and have done for about 20 years) so best case scenario never ever see the DRM solution/launcher.

As i said previously, the easy way to do things would be have the game on EGS at $60 and Steam at $70, but that in no way benefits Epic who who are are trying to become a legitimate competitor.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I won't read the entire thread because this whole thing sickens me but I will just say this (and never speak of this bs again):

Epic is being defended for "offering a choice". That is factually incorrect.

Moving items from A to B (while also locking them exclusively to B) is not choice, it's forcing.

I don't defend Valve and frankly they deserve a kick for, for one, their complete lack of QA (of items released) but this isn't the way to go.
    Exclusivity does not promote open competition as competition would imply, you guessed it, a choice.

Second I blame publishers and developers who fall for these practices, take a bucketful of Fortnite money now and get a better cut etc.
    That's a textbook example of not seeing the forest from the trees.

Also consider this: how much faith do these devs and publishers actually have in their products if they willingly sacrifice sales (by choosing EGS exclusivity) to get some money now and maybe a bit more per sale?

That's a sad thought.

Last, I recently read Epic said "they won't keep doing this forever and hope people CHOOSE EGS willingly".

Hah! In other words we will eventually run out of V-bucks but perhaps by forcing people long enough they forget they once had a choice.

The saddest part in all this is however that for all intents and purposes, Epic seems to be getting away with this.
    Even the huge negative PR from Metro Exodus didn't turn the tide and more EGS timed exclusives keep popping up.

The future? frack if I know, but given current events it doesn't look too bright.
    Give in or wait at least a year (at which point the publisher might decide to axe the entire release outside of EGS because year 1 sales were too low. Another food for thought...)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go play some free Doom mods.

lucidus, INSTG8R and Kolt like this.
  4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I posted right when you posted, but my post above yours kind of sums it up as far as why one would care where they buy their games from along the other myriad of reasons explained earlier. It's not about saving 10 bucks when 10 bucks isn't that big of a deal. It's also not about having to wait a year when waiting a year isn't a big deal. The platform is not something I trust or like. The company is not something I like or trust either. They don't offer me anything that would make me leave services (Origin, uPlay, or Steam) over their service. I know my games will be tied to that account and I'll have to use their service to run the game, so I'm making my own rational decision based off my experience and the information I have available. I'm the consumer and Epic is offering me absolutely nothing to make the switch so I'm not. I value having my games on a service and launcher that I choose to use, regardless of what those choices are and Epic aggravated me by trying to take that away in order to sway me over to their launcher. It didn't work.

I guess you can say I'm passionate about my gaming experience and the service and launcher plays a part of that. If you guys are so happy with Epic then so be it.. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise.. I'm just explaining why there is a large majority of upset people over this. If you are happy with the EGS then great for you, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to call anyone out for being part of the problem or anything. I know consumers just want to 'consume' and mostly don't care otherwise. Some of us just care when it comes to hobbies we are passionate about.. but let's be real here, we are just posting on a forum board. This isn't exactly a super passionate act.. just explaining ;)

Redemption80 and INSTG8R like this.

5. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fair play, it's your money and your choice. Trying to understand it, not criticise.

Personally i dislike the amount of power the Valve has and unfortunately it won't change by giving consumers a choice.

Kolt likes this.
  6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Trust me, I'm with you there. Hopefully some real good comes out of all this!

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    That's so cool, I thought I was going to be skipping Rage 2 so this is very surprising... very nice.

I guess Bethesda needed some positive press.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    That statement was not specifically aimed at you in general it was a general comment to encompass the entire vocal minority who have complained endlessly about what is at the end of the day nothing more than a f*cking digital store front, but my god you must be a man of true breading to have the raw mighty man power and balls to wait an entire year for a game. If I had a daughter I would do what I could to get her to marry a man of such true breading and shear awesomeness. Forget those guys fighting wars, rescuing people from fires, going toe to toe with gun weilding criminals, this guy here, this man, this adonis of manhood has the sheer will and power to wait a whole god damn year to play a game... can I buy you a beer?

So yeah if you want to wait a year to play it, more power to you well done I gave you some reasons as to why in the big scheme of things it will make no difference. You won't be hurting Epic and in reality no one will care in a year's time that you stuck to your moral high ground but chances are you will in the long run be getting a worse deal but that's the great thing you have the freedom of choice to make a decision like that and no doubt will be worshiped for the god like man you are for enduring such hardship... ps their is a fair amount of piss taking in those last two paragraphs.

You're statement was all negative press is bad my counter is 'that's bollocks mate'. Anyone who watched this whole thing develop would say their was a fair amount of 'negative press' surrounding the release of Exodus and the net result was, well it sold 2.5times more in the same time frame as Metro LL. So even if Epic padded the numbers it certainly didn't have ANY negative results on the sales of the game verses the last game. Call it nitpicking if you want but your catch all statement was bollocks and that fact needed to be highlighted.

Another person who seems to blame Epic. Epic turn up at your door and offer you a boat load of money and all you have to do is agree to sell YOUR game exclusively on their store front. YOU agree to do that... who's fault is it exactly that YOUR game is being sold on their store exclusively?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, if given the choice, we'd almost always pick the status quo. I think it's important to remember just how much PC gamers hated Steam when it was introduced - we didn't like it, and we didn't like being forced to install it to play HL2. If given the choice, I would say most PC gamers would have rejected Steam and chosen to play without it.

I don't particular care for Epic or their store / launcher, but they may be the first to post a serious threat to Valve's de-facto monopoly. Whether the EGS becomes a legitimate competitor to Steam or just a flash in the pan, I hope something positive comes out of this (e.g., lead the industry towards lower fees).

10. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I can wait a year for those exclusive games. Let the Epic Store users beta test them and when they're all patched and complete, they'll come to Steam. Bethesda is back on Steam, so I'll have enough AAA games to play this year.

MerolaC likes this.

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I remember it well, and if Half Life 3 or any other Valve games appear in the future we all know they will be Steam exclusives.
    Lower fees may mean lower prices for consumers (unlikely) or higher profits for publisher/developers, which will make PC gaming more important and keep us moving away from redheaded stepchild view held by many in the industry.

I wonder when the nice press dies down, how Bethesda are going to react when people cancel and give 30% of their profits to Valve. I also wonder if Rage 2 etc... will go the Uplay route and require the Bethesda Launcher on Steam.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I liked your post there to show you how little I care. At this point it's getting old. ;) I've said enough. Feel free to read my previous posts.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Apparently they're bringing Fallout 76 over to Steam as well. I take it as an admission of failure - wouldn't hurt to buy some goodwill from gamers ;)

fantaskarsef, cerebus23 and Kolt like this.
  14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    stil wont touch 76 with a 50 cent sale.

wonders if they might offer some of the other beth titles on steam doom hint.

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    All upcoming Bethesda games (RAGE 2, DOOM Eternal, Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Cyberpilot) are coming to Steam.

Bethesda never made any official announcement saying any of those games were exclusive to the bethesda platform.
    People simply assumed it would be because of FO76, and that Bethesda never clarified on it. Chances are Beth were waiting to see how well their service went over.

Kolt and INSTG8R like this.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Uh okay??

Do I have too?

Kolt likes this.
  17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Let's be civil folks.

Netherwind and Kolt like this.
  18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I wonder if Valve had anything to do with it in the background (like cut them a better deal or something) or if Bethesda was playing chess all along like you mention. Either way, it's good news for just about everyone. Arkane and id are just too amazing of studios to miss out on for those who would have skipped on them due to the launcher.

:)

19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    My guess is that Valve ofc did something, but Bethesda also didn't want to risk low sales because of nobody even knowing about their own launcher (seeing how the first broader exposure to it was, well, Fallout 76).

Kolt likes this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    or bethesda just decided they needed some positive pr.

fantaskarsef and Kolt like this.