The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same strawmen from the same apologists every time.

There is one point that I do agree on, the developers have every right to sell where they want and I have every right to choose where I buy.

As long as they don't mind the loss of revenue and confidence their actions are causing, no problem.

And don't give me any of that 'it hurts the developer' crap, it's action, reaction.

They're saying 'we're selling on Epic, deal with it', I'm saying 'No'.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Let me try it this way. If this is your biggest problem in life right now, your life is better than 98.9% of the earth, congrats.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    True, but both were announced and advertised with Steam. Listed on Steam.
    Hell, Obsidian were in the process of adding Steam achievements when the Epic exclusivity was announced.

To me, it still counts as Epic yanking a few more titles away from Steam users after teasing them with them.

"Epic Game Store is making industry better, but gamers don't see that"

Tim Sweeney needs... to just... shut the hell up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I also want my games on the same client, it's just that I don't pull out my torch and pitchfork if I have to use something else. Having used the Epic launcher, I really don't see what the issue is (people keep saying it's horrible but it's seems just like any other launcher). Really now, it's not that big of a deal, and yet gamers are making a mountain out of molehill and acting self-righteous and pompous about it.

What I find amusing is that those PC gamers who oppose Epic say they want free choice and competition, and at the same time they say they want all their games under one launcher. Those two things are incompatible - you can either have competition or a monopoly, not both. This is why I do not believe such gamers when they say that Epic should compete on features to gain customers - they've shown time and time again that, if given the choice, they would only choose Steam. As a long-time Steam user, I know this to be true - as I've said before, Steam is always my first choice (the only reason why I even installed the Epic launcher is because I needed to do it for Metro Exodus).

In my opinion, PC gamers do not want choice or competition - they just want everything under one launcher (in other words, they want a monopoly). It's obvious that the only "choice" that PC gamers want is the choice to only choose Steam for all their games. This is why the Epic store is such a big deal and why it's rubbing so many people the wrong way - it's preventing them from realizing that monopoly. It basically comes down to: "How dare Epic now allow me to choose Steam for all my games!"

Carfax likes this.

5. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    People in China are excluded for one.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Well technically you can just add all the games from other launchers as a non-steam game and launch all the games from the steam client. That's what I do.

Kolt and INSTG8R like this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    So basically what you want is a monopoly. No one distributor should monopolize the market, and that includes Steam. If it weren't for competition, Steam probably wouldn't offer refunds still.

Kolt likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Drawing moral boundaries over something as superficial as where to buy games from is a bit over the top don't you think?

Also, it takes two to tango. Your ire seems to be focused on Epic, but the developer and publisher are the other half of the equation. As I said before in my previous posts, the developer/publisher is going to do what's best for them and their bottom line. The fact that they are doing this, means there is obviously a significant benefit from their end.

We're just gamers, so we don't really concern ourselves with the financial aspect of game development for the most part, even though making money is the primary motivation for making games in the first place. Given how expensive games are to make these days, a 30% cut for Steam might seem nonsensical when there are better options in that regard.

9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    No, not at all. I don't think it's over the top for me to not like a company for their bad tactics. I think it's a bit defeatist and pathetic to think otherwise to be honest. I have my stance on things and small comments won't change that. Epic is doing something crappy and I have a very easy way to avoid it where it doesn't bother me and Epic gets no money from me. I get to still play these games later on.. Why does that seem to bother you? You work for Epic or something? lol.

And yes, we might 'just be gamers' (be careful saying that btw as you don't know who everyone is here.. you have no idea. I used to work for a AAA game company myself and have some experience in the industry behind the scenes but not in relation to publishing or sales..) but some of us care about how and where we spend our money and invest a lot of time into these games. To some of us it's more than just playing games. I love PC gaming. I spend a LOT of money on games and hardware. It's a passion and hobby for me.. so I'm invested in it's future.. but I'm not so down these developers and publisher's pants that I'm about to go out of my way to make my experience worse. I'm invested in my personal experience here and not so much the future of these developers. I don't care about their bottom cut. I'm a customer. That's why I - and most people - play video games.. not for the companies making them. Buying games on Epic is a worse experience FOR ME. I don't give a flying frack about the developers and publishers if the bottom line sucks for me in the end. Why is that so hard to understand? Regardless, even if the EGS was better for publishers and developer.. then why does Epic have to give them a big bribe to get them over? If the EGS was truly a better deal then so be it. The publishers and developers would go there and so would the customers. It's not though. Publishers and developers know the game will sell less. That's why Epic is offering all those incentives right now. They hope to win over the games and users by brute force, so that eventually the special incentives die down and all we and the developers are stuck with is that 'better cut for the publishers'. You Epic fanbois seem to avoid answering this. Why does Epic have to use such brute force tactics to win over customers if the product is truly ok? Epic is not showing a lot of faith in their product, so why should I? I'll say this again.. if they were to go about this the correct way then I seriously doubt there would be any backlash like this.

So please tell me exactly how it's over the top for me to not care about using an inferior launcher and just waiting for my better experience.. It's one year. Who cares besides Epic lol? The publishers and developers got paid out.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    lucidus likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    "Why does Epic have to use such brute force tactics to win over customers if the product is truly ok?"

Because running a store cost money, running marketing campaign does too, and competing on features against a 20 years old Steam is ridiculous.
    Saying the Epic game store is bad for gaming is absurd, If anything it's shaking Valve to make Steam a competitive product.

This whole thing is not about pleasing the customers, it's about making good game.
    Game prices have been stagnant for decades, yet it takes an artist a day to model a 3D chair on modern 3D standard with high poly and PBR setup compared to 5minutes in early 2000s, so where did the money go? (not even talking of inflation)
    Retail stores aren't the one doing the profuction effort, doing crunch time. Truth is the video game industry if filled with fragile firms of underpaid people doing insane hours...

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While making a game exclusive to your own platform is something I agree with, when it comes to other developers games I don't.
    Saying that, it's better than a Steam monopoly, so I'm torn.

I would rather it was sold on Steam at a much higher price, and if people are stupid enough to buy it on there then that's good for the devs/publishers.

Kolt likes this.
  12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I agree to a certain extent. I'm not arguing that businesses are here to make their ends meet. The whole point I'm trying to make is that Epic could have done better and given us a reason to try their launcher. There is no incentive for me to go to a launcher that has only aggravated me. You have to at least agree that the way they pulled Metro (especially) was very anti-consumer. If Metro was cheaper on Epic over Steam that would have been OK and I seriously doubt anyone would have cared, but they put themselves into a position to be hated by the community. I personally see zero reason to trust or like Epic, considering all the bullshit I've seen lately in regards to them and their CEO. Tell me exactly why I should not wait a year? There is absolutely no reason outside of if I can't wait that long and absolutely must play these games.. which isn't true at all.

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Well said really. If it was on Steam at the usual price but cheaper on Epic then that would have been competition and good for everyone.

14. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Everyone but Epic though, which is why I think they done it the hard way

XenthorX likes this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm playing warframe these days and I can get it standalone, on steam, and the discord service. Some monopoly lol.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Your complexity and stubbornness made Epic use these anti-consumer tactics. You don't want them even if they bribe for the developer's well-being. No. If it was a free open market, you would pay double price for just making your Steam collection bigger or brag about achievements. Nah. It ain't their fault.

Gamers are ungrateful for hours given to coding. Consumers' money are nothing. What? A game costs about 1 to 5 days' salary depending your wage. They are working months and years for a title. Get off your high horses. We could never have an opinion of what hardware or software engineers are doing.

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
  18. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I care little about all the rage and counter rage people including you display about this, both the hate geared aggressors and the corporate defenders, but I do find concepts such as customer loyalty and even worse - gratitude - to be strong indications of immense stupidity. No one is forcing anyone to work on anything and at the end of the day it is the producer of the product that should feel gratitude toward the customer for choosing his product.

And to actually voice an opinion of sorts, beyond their current choice of business practices, Epic just need to build a secure store that offer services equal or superior to those of the competition. They dont currently and their predatory business practices get translated by the customers as being predatory toward them instead of just Epics corporate peers. All fixable by just not providing a poor service.

Backstabak and Kolt like this.
  19. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What is actually wrong with the service, as that is all I care about, and is it something that can't be fixed?

The corporate side of things I don't really care about, if anything I understand the need for exclusives and "incentives" for developers in this day and age.

20. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    We can always wait to see the improvements of EGS. It is annoying to cut the wings of anyone who wants to start something. You never took risks or opened new ways in your life, do you?