The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Appreciate it. Though, I went a different route which I might as well suggest if anyone else wanna do it.

Here is download link for old Library / UI files; https://mega.nz/#!22oUmarb!1-ZKIUccQzmb9Rv-h5IPctDKQZUu3IAGTAR7Z5XvPws

Extract the content from Steam Old UI and copy paste it into the Steam folder (Overwrite the files). The only thing new here is the added "Steam.cfg" file which include the following lines;
    BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
    BootStrapperForceSelfUpdate=disable

This file is in place purely just to prevent steam from updating to the new library update. That's it, now you have the old library back.

KissSh0t and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I don't trust files not originating from my own pc being placed inside my steam installation, although your intention is appreciated.

Something to note about this new Smart Phone design is that Steam now uses more memory for no reason....

3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    It was expected, but it isn't great. They've really gone all out making the new library and chat be based on CEF, a web framework, so valve is fully on route to having a chromium powered Steam client (urgh).

I just can't figure out why they removed some legacy options such as compact mode / small mode alongside list view, and in return gave people a bloated launcher - Which, from some of the feedback I've read, apparently utilizes up to 25% of your CPU while you're scrolling the library.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

i just deleted the update packages and made the package subfolder read only by removing all modify and write permissions.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Could you show what you are doing with screenshots?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

BetA likes this.
  7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I just turned steam on and off to see what you guys were talking about. Seems like it's rubbish now.

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I like the new Steam UI personally. Took a little bit to customize it the way I like though.

I don't use Steam to launch my games though.. just to browse the store, check out game news/updates, and look for what to install next. (I use a folder with shortcuts on my desktop to launch games.)

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i been running the beta builds so the new ui been the ui for me for a few.

stores about the same.

games library i do use now it looks like the same tile system to so the pretty game icons that nvidia uses, uni uses, etc it nice to scroll aimlessly through going FFFFFFF i got too many games and that that thatr tthat i never touched.

mostly i use the sidebar to launch game directly or get to the game page.

so it changed but not that much since i launched by my library prior i should just delete the desktop icons because i never use them and i junk up my dtop with downloads and working folders etc.

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Been using the new library for a while now, honestly... I don't care.
    It does what it's meant to do.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    How to revert back to the old.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Man, the new library is such a hot pile of garbage now.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Found an extra fix that makes steam not use as much memory, the following is for the full "target" parameters of the shortcut, default install location.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-browser +open "steam://open/minigameslist"

It's working for me, all I'm seeing of steam is the one process "Steam Client Bootstrapper"

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Just had the update: on restart Steam crashed and become "not responding" , think it's the first time ever my steam client ever crashed or became unresponsive.

Upon closing and restart finally worked as expected. New UI is cool ! Looks much less dated i like it, hard to see which games are installed or not tho.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    My client froze when I exit my game and then I had like 10 different steam executables running at once...

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I blame google..... that is all.

*edit*

Completely forgot I had a backup of Steam from a while ago, so I followed the guide on how to revert steam but used my own files for the peace of mind of knowing the files I'm using for Steam are safe xD

Happy now, I hid my username because rweasons.... this to me is Perfect Steam.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    XenthorX likes this.