The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No... Steam or die!

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I dont want remasters, sick and tired of cash grabs. i only want remakes since that will get upggraded graphics and stuff.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Did you see the recent gameplay teaser of the remaster?

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    yes, its baiscly the same exept compatable for high resolutions. i havent checked , but i doubt there isnt a tool out there that does that already.

My hope is still for Warcraft 3 , what supposed to be a remake , but blizzard is really silent on that part, and on their website it still says release 2019!

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I have to say I agree. There's always a nice feeling to seeing well done remasters, but in the end they put in energy and engineering hours to sell you the games that are directly aimed to cater to nostalgia. Only that most of the times the games aren't as good as we have them in mind...

And they should just put that time into developing new games. Sure, resource wise it's easier to spend X hurs and grab 10€ per game (or more), than spend 200X hours to grab 60€, but... I simply can't be bothered to play AoE 2 remastered when in reality I'm waiting on AoE4.
    Same goes with Command & Conquer... they're just trying to make us buy games we already have played with nothing more than fixing higher resolution compatability... until integer scaling is finally implemented in every driver for every card solving this problem alltogether for 0 extra money.

And as for WC3, maybe they're keeping quiet to make people forget about Blizz's current troubles with a bit flashy diversion show that is BlizzCon

5. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Zotac AMP!
    Have to say, I'm loving the new Steam library redesign. I tried out the local play streaming thing with my friend and it was flawless, couldn't even see any artifacting on a 40mbit upload.

Love these updates to Steam (it even sorted out the issues with it seizing up when loading large game libraries/moving steam between 2 monitors of varying refresh rates!). Can't help but think they would have sat on their arses without Epic being quite so aggressive though...

6. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    And EA is back on Steam.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Which makes me wonder, in the long run: buy games on Origin to save myself the hassle of starting both DRM platforms (steam and origin), or buy them on steam to give EA less money (steam fares), and some to steam, and show them that I prefer steam to origin?

Do they even care? Do they even feel the financial issue there?

Is EA willing to pay that 30% steam tax (fares) if they could have just stayed like they are or did they get a better deal?

Are valve and EA teaming up to counter the emerging EGS?

Only time will tell.

Feels like "PC Launcher Wars", new season premiering this fall on a PC near you.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix

The meme at the start killed me.

I'm dead now ok.

cerebus23, Kolt and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That scene in the kitchen.... let's make it go viral :D:D:D

edit: watched the first 20 seconds of that video again... loled... wished I was able to cut this video down and share it. Thanks @KissSh0t :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    KissSh0t likes this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    “This is a good day for gamers,” says Valve’s Gabe Newell. “We’re excited to partner with EA to not only bring their great games and subscription service to Steam, but also to open up our communities to each other in an unprecedented way that will benefit players and developers around the world.”

https://news.ea.com/press-release/c...nounce-partnership-bring-ea-access-subscripti

I fail to see how it benefit developers, with EA games being now in competition with other games on Steam? Especially regarding FPS games.
    If you look at an Indie game like WW3, being in competition on the same store at ridiculus price with BF4, or any other BF games... It's tough!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Don't give in to marketing talk... it's just BS nicely worded ;)

On the other hand... I wonder if Sweeney is already twittering about this. How bad it is for players and how his store is the only way to benefit ever again yadda yadda

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    On the contrary, he trolled saying he was glad the first game to be multi store Origin/Steam was a game made with Unreal Engine: Star Wars - Fallen Order x)

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    hehe I'm surprised about that. I would have expected him to roll on and say what a bad decision this was not to come to EGS for that etc.
    (and thanks for linking his twitter, I just categorically refuse to really follow or read what he has to say out of personal reasons)

XenthorX likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I wonder if the new Need for Speed will come to Steam? that would make me happy.

Also, will this mean EA games will be able run on Linux now via Proton?

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Jedi Fallen Order being on Steam is great. And I will get it there definitely. :)

But, my interest falls to when is Dead Space 3 and Titanfall 2 coming to Steam. :p

cerebus23 likes this.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yup titanfall 2 got a ton of rehype with apex/fallen order, and with so much love for the single player i would track that down at some point to play that.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Steam revamp just gone live.

18. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    They removed small window mode... Now the big mode is mandatory and community content is enabled by default unless disabled, what the hell?

Can't say I like these changes.

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    Pretty sure you'll get the full Need for Speed franchise, as well as Titanfalls available on steam sooner than later.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If any of you have become frustrated at the new smart phone design for Steam like I have try this.

With the Shortcut you use to start Steam, right click it then go to Properties, then for "Target" add this at the end steam://open/minigameslist

[​IMG]

Then when you start Steam it will open like this.....

[​IMG]

I learned about this from here https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/dpf378/new_steam_ui_megathread/f5uvu1z/

fantaskarsef and Angantyr like this.