The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No... Steam or die!

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Solfaur likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    It's an easy sentence to parrot. Nobody bothers to look into it deeper and/or more objectively. That's how you get people hyping a multi million corporation against another multi million corporation.

Solfaur and Kolt like this.
  3. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I'm sorry but it's EPIC who's the parrot here. What Steam deserves is a medal for giving gamers the means to strike back with review scores (if need be) and refunds. <-- my opinion

But don't just take my opinion for it, read some facts:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

Solfaur likes this.
  4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I was referring to people blindly parroting the "StEaM tAkEs tOo mUcH mOney" crap, and hyping Epic up as some saviour. I'm on your side, dammit!

DocStrangelove and Kolt like this.

5. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    so.. whats new ? any legit numbers based on legit sources on the Epic\Steam situation ?

i know Fortnite had some big event, changes.. and i see a lot of games handed free to anyone
    that opens account on EGS.

where does it go ? will Steam change something in their model to counter Epic ? what do you think ?

as much as like competition, this battle seems like crap to me. Epic are doing everything they can to grow, dirty tactics included.

EGS is dead to me. ( just saying.. on every occasion :) )

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    not really it doubtful steam could even cut it rates to epic levels. steam has massive overhead that epic just does not have. we do not really know their operating costs but their games library takes a dump on epic and the amount of people using steam takes a dump on epic nm how many kids are t bagging in fartnight.

as far as will the "black hole" event save fartnight? battle royal has run its course like classic wow the new map rotation will bump up interest and it will drift off faster this time. but people are getting bored with the formula.

steam will do what steam does i doubt this has effected them much. meanwhile epic still throwing their fartnight money around.

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    A lot of people play Apex now.
    Id say battle royal never been this popular before. when you got mutiple games with battle royal and millions of people playing it.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    and it was getting old hat you think they changed the game that much?

few weeks the bump will start to fall off several months the lull will be back in full swing.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Id say the game changes constantly. This is just a bigger change then usual, since there are differnt type of buildings and gameplay elements like swimming or hiding. The color palette is still the same , so maybe that is why it looks the same.
    the main feature about the game is still building / shooting , and i cant see them change that much besides adding more things to build and other type of weapons.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    we will see all we do is reading tea leaves and i not going to play either apex or fartnight.

people been talking about br being done for months and that is why the huge shake up. they were looking for new things to interest them.

were they just blowing smoke? 2 3 months should tell the tale really.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This is just a pure opinion post that got me thinking. Like many other gamers Steam has always been the go to place for digital downloads and was the (in my opinion) the innovator of digital gaming. I haven't bought a game on a physical disc in nearly 10 years. However the other night I realized just how much competition there is now days, I suddenly realized that Steam has been riding the gravy train for so long that they've forget that other companies are nipping at their heels.

Between Origin, Rockstar, Epic, Ubisoft, GOG, Activision, and others I may not know about, the mighty Steam is like a male lion getting attacked by a pack of wild hyena's thirsty for the top of the hill. It would be cool if everything was unified into one platform but that's clearly not gonna happen.

Anyway I just thought it was an interesting thing to look at. At this point I really don't have a problem with using multiple game launchers, but it's just fascinating to see how things have evolved so fast in just the last 10-15 years.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I think publishers are the ones in trouble. Said it many times: publishers do not need to exist.

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    only GOG can outrun Steam, no one else at the moment.

emperorsfist likes this.
  14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    It's really not. EA & Activision don't publish that many games (EA has even been taken off the list of major publishers, iirc), Ubisoft has always forced Uplay, regardless of where you bought the game. GOG is a bit specific in its repertoire, and offers the best deal when it comes to actual game ownership, so it's the most unique service. Epic is identical to Steam in, only offers less features and games.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I totally agree with that. CD Projekt is a perfect example of a company who can stand on their own with no need for greedy publishers.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I disagree, I buy games on Steam by purchasing Steam Cards from EB Games, epic does not have a similar system to put credit onto ones account to purchase games so for me epic Launcher is not something available on PC.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Steam in trouble... I think they're sitting on enough cash to weather just about any storm. And if not, they hopefully take on making good games. HL3. Imagine if they'd make a good game like that. They'd literally earn crazy amounts of cash. But that's just wishful thinking.

emperorsfist likes this.
  18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I meant in basic design. You are, however, correct in this regard.

KissSh0t likes this.
  19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I doubt HL3 will ever happen (at least, not after the Episode 3 leak - it felt like it was supposed to end the franchise anyway).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Wouldn't this make more sense to be in the EPIC / Steam thread?

Btw Steam ain't in trouble, it's the industry standard. It's only EPIC beating around the bush crying for cheap attention here.