The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    "-noverifyfiles" on Steam does however seem to break apps being able to update and they get stuck doing their own little pre-patch (Often via delta.) checking because validation is turned off and it can't be done. :)

I did turn of the browser component though (-no-browser) but the number of installed apps is what's significantly adding the boot time of Steam here but eh it's been over a decade so of course there would be a sizeable backlog ha ha.
    As for server side security and exploits yeah that's been a issue, Steam's been working quite extensively over the last couple of weeks fixing up the exploit in it's client and the Steam service and if the server bits and way stuff is stored isn't properly secured then that means little for user end security measures.
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements
    (I expect the security fixes to have been uplifted to the main client release channel too due to their importance.)

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Only twice a month?

Then you been missing out on games recently as they give away games every week.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    possible some months i have like 3 things listed other times 2, but something like 21 games since 4/20/2019

alan wake is among them that probably the only game that sticks out for me that good

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Went to play BL3, got met with an error message and a request to do an update, did the update returns me to the login page. I click the sign in with google account which is how I set things up, it opens a web page does it's thing tells me everything is sorted close this window and you'll be signed in.... nope! Throws back an error saying it can't sign in, I try again, then again, then a fourth time. Now it just sits at the login in page doesn't even give me an error.

I try the password recover option at the login and get the same connection error message, I try again and get told I need to sign in to use this service (wt total and utter f?) and the third time I get told the service is not available and to try again later.

I come back a few minutes later shut everything down, try to login again through google account, this time it progresses past the error messages and seems to be login in and then hits me with this

'Sorry you are visiting our service to frequent, please try again later'

LOL, I am not mad, I was willing to cut some slack but even in the decade or so of Steam I can't remember a circumstance of comical ineptitude that borders on the events of the last five minutes. A round robin of going no where and being told I need to do A to solve B but I can't do A until I have done B and then being told I am visiting their services to often, being told to visit their support page but not being provided with a link, they even give you an error code, which on checking on their website isn't actually a complete error code just half of one and to top it all off I checked their status page to be told that according to them everything is running all right and their have been no recent issues.

I am not saying I will never buy from them again but I won't be going out of my way to use them if their is an alternative available.

Keitosha likes this.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    The Store is down due to some Fortnite Event.

Managed to get in actually, and my Library of all free games is empty. I checked Surviving Mars and it allows me to get it again.

GG...

Keitosha likes this.
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Lol so because some Fortinite thing is going on I can't play BL3? Not really sure what to make of denying the folk who PAID for their games from playing them so that folk can play a FREE TO PLAY game.

Keitosha likes this.
  7. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I preordered on the R* launcher. If i dont have to run Steam in the background i might win 1 fps or 2. ;)

norton likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    This is probably a silly question but has epic implemented a shopping cart yet for the Launcher?

BetA likes this.
  9. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    i preordered it too on their launcher for the same reason why i should have two overlays when i can have one , also for the bounce and the 2 classic games :D

DocStrangelove likes this.
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No.
    Still not in there.

KissSh0t likes this.

11. haste

haste Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Without Fortnite there would be no EGS :) Another reason not to use this store.

Keitosha and cerebus23 like this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Stores have Shopping Carts.

I'll let myself out.

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    and that 40% china owership should be the bigger thing in the current climate.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I see this thread remains pathetic.

Steam also has down times during Summer and Winter sales.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    I'll probably still wait for the steam release, or get it on R* launcher soon after release. The pre-order bonus, especially the free games, do not interest me. Simply because I already own all of them (on steam). I even have a SA copy lying in my inventory for years.

It really bothers me how they chose to handle the whole thing, and by that I mean actually releasing it on Epic at the same time with R* launcher, just Steam getting the shaft. That's just a dick move for me, I would have been totally fine if it were a R* launcher only early launch (and actually fund the devs directly and grow their own platform), but like this? Doesn't feel right, sorry.

16. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280x
    A short timed exclusive on the more dev-friendly platforms in terms of revenue - makes sense to me, and sends a clear message from Rockstar that they'd prefer you buy basically anywhere but Steam, but if you really like Steam that's okay too. I can't be too bothered about this. What's starting to irk me a little, is that Valve hasn't really offered a clear response to the plethora of game launchers; it's as if they're fine with it too.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I'm guessing once epic put's it's revenue share back to the industry standard we will then see the epic launcher actually improve by investing more in the Launchers development.

18. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    It is supposed to be available on Humble Store, GreenMan Gaming, and a couple other places that I can't remember. It seems that at least half of the articles I have read only mention Epic Games when it's going to be available to pre-order on several different stores. I was leaning towards waiting to get it on Steam around Christmas time, but considering that launching it on Steam will still require the Rockstar game launcher I figured I might as well get the pre-order bonuses.

Embra likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    My bad, I thought it's Epic and R* launcher only early launch. Still, I find it funny, how if all these devs/publishers are so adamant against Steam, why not completely drop releasing there at all (right, why is that I wonder... cough cough)?

I'm not going to defend Steam, as I think I'm just in the middle of a corporate war, that turned out to be sort of an attrition war, since apparently Steam is not backing up, the others mostly Epic aren't neither. Would love it to end though, and have the option again to buy wherever I want to.

Embra and Elder III like this.
  20. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    You would also be against steam is you were developer. Nobody likes to give them 30%, which they don't deserve.