The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I just want to point that this debate always quickly turns into Epic vs Steam, when in reality is should be about Epic alone.. specifically the ethics around how Epic is going about this. I really don't think this would be a big deal if games were not being pulled from <insert platform here> last minute or after being advertised already. The way that Epic and their idiot CEO Tim has handled everything from the very start has been just plain arrogant. I had nothing against Epic before this fiasco but now I want nothing to do with them at all. They could have handled it better.. Origin, Uplay, etc all handled it great and are all launchers I have zero problems with and use to this day. They typically only house exclusives that the publisher made and do not bribe other publishers to make their titles exclusive.

Let's put our Steam pitchforks down and start actually listening to what people are actually upset about for a minute. Epic had every chance to make a great entry and do this right by winning over the end users, but instead they chose to go about it very cutthroat while not giving a crap about what really matters in the end: the customers. You can buy an amazing lot on a very nice corner and fill it up with amazing cars, but you still need to have a good waiting room, a good salesman, and end user experience or you won't be selling jack crap. Epic knew this, but Instead of doing what is right by building a waiting room, training a salesman, and making the place comfortable for the customers they instead just forced Ford and Nissan to only sell to that shop hoping that they will gain customers anyways. It might work, but it is still completely shitty for those of us wanting our best experience that we were used to having. Whether that be Steam, GoG, Origin, or whatever.. gamers as a whole just lost a lot of choice and comfort. How was this a good thing for us at all? Epic could have - and should have - had the balls to put their money into making a good and honest product instead of doing what they did. This is why a lot of people like myself absolutely loathe Epic and their stupid launcher.

Note: I have zero experience in the selling of cars, so my example above may not exactly be 100%, but you get the picture.

This is exactly what I've been saying. Just wait! So far just about every EGS 'exclusive' is only timed to 1 year.. with all the games out there right now just wait and buy it on <insert platform here> and the problem becomes easy. You don't support Epic's exclusive bribery and instead support your platform of choice. In the end it should all be about choice which is exactly what Epic is trying to take away. I mean.. ffs even Microsoft is now releasing their games elsewhere and no longer are exclusive to their OWN STORE. Think about that.

lucidus and BangTail like this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'm gonna buy MK11 (only $45 for me in steam itself) at launch and DMC5 in the summer sale. Cyberpunk too if it actually is a 2019 release. I want to play persona 5 and god of war ng+ too. I think I'm good for the rest of the year then. I normally go looking for indies during the sale season on youtube or lists but now they've saved my time.

Epic exclusives will still be good for easy upload credit ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

cerebus23 likes this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    This is actually an interesting point. One of the big marketing points for EGS was that the devs would earn more money per games sold. So, what benefit would this be to us gamers? The "promise" was "more content, better support for the game for a longer time" and so on but it's really just empty words. Us gamers would benefit if we got some compensation by getting lower prices on games (49.99 vs 59.99) but that never happened (except in the US for Metro) and who knows if that will ever happen.

cerebus23, BangTail and Kolt like this.
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Microsoft did it because of the huge demand for Halo on PC and how much less share UWP games have compared to Steam or Steam versions(Infinite Warfare had a UWP release as well, no one played it). The Steam version of MCC you still will need to sign into Xbox Live.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If there was anything in it for us, Metro would've had a lower price globally.

BangTail and Netherwind like this.
  6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Seen a few articles lately, Epic talking about how they don't want to keep doing exclusives. They just feel it's the only way they can "bring about change".... they are such idiots.
    But the one that really got me...

Epic saying "We don't ever want to do that again" in regards to pulling a title from Steam to be exclusive on their store.
    Referencing the negative backlash over Metro Exodus.

Well, that's are sorts of spiffy. Problem is, you make this statement... a few days after you f***ing did it again.
    Snatching up Outer Worlds and Control as exclusives to Epic store, when they were both announced and initially promoted as Steam titles.

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2114/4350
    Neither was sold to users yet, I think that is the crucial difference.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You are applying a false standard here. The fact is, there is nothing wrong with a product being offered exclusively at a certain store. "[Product X], only available at [Store Y]" is a very common marketing slogan and it's one of the ways that a store can try to differentiate themselves. A good example is the iPhone, which was exclusive to AT&T when it was starting out. There is no rule that says companies need to make their product available across all stores, and exclusivity deals are a very common thing.

This is not an anti-consumer or sleazy business practice - it's just the way that business works. I recently watched a documentary on the history of Tetris and the various representatives of US video game companies who tried to secure exclusive distribution rights to Tetris from the Russians. Many other games follow a similar path, with various companies seeking out exclusive deals on them. The makers of the product have every right to determine where and how it is distributed, and if they choose a single store or platform then that's just how it is.

To demand that the makers of a product make their product available at a store of your choice is arrogance and entitlement. We are not the creators or owners of these games and have no right to say where they should be sold - that's entirely within the purview of the developers / publishers. These games aren't a right, they are a privilege, and if you want to own a copy of these games then you need to play by the publisher's rules. Aside from that, these Epic exclusives require little more than registering and downloading a free launcher so the barrier to entry is extremely low, and yet people complain endlessly about it, acting as if they've committed a serious injustice against us. The only thing this does is make PC gamers look petty, arrogant and selfish, unwilling to tolerate even the smallest change that doesn't directly benefit them.

Archvile82 likes this.
  9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    You seem to be missing some points here. Legally OK and morally OK are two different things. It's sleazy as hell and I seriously doubt you have anything to change my mind there. In what way does it make us or anyone look arrogant and selfish when we can no longer access a game from a store we had already wishlisted and had plans to buy it from? "To demand that the makers of a product make their product available at a store of your choice is arrogance and entitlement." You said it right there buddy. That is what Epic is doing but worse by making it only available at their store. The makers of the product were going to put it on Steam, as evidenced by the original store ads and marketing, but were only taken away by bribery. The makers of the product did not want it to be Epic elusive, that's why Epic is paying them so much. Think about it a little more.. No one gives a crap about another store coming and trying to win over customers. That is only good for the consumers and I'm down for that.. who here really gives a crap about Steam? What Epic is doing is not for the consumers AT ALL.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    lucidus and BangTail like this.
  10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I really don't care. I wanted to play Satisfactory which is an Epic exclusive so I bought it and added it as a non-steam game and launch it from Steam.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The publishers were offered a better deal and they took it. That's their choice, and their right. Epic didn't point a gun to their head and force them to do their bidding - the publishers made the deliberate and conscious decision to switch to the EGS and accept Epic's terms (if the publishers really wanted to use Steam they could have turned them down).

Again, the publishers have every right to determine where their product will be sold, and these publishers chose the Epic store over Steam.

12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It wasn't the better pay cut ratio, it was straight up the cash up front. In a lot of places and areas that is called bribery. Again.. not saying you aren't right in the fact that what is being done is legal and is often done by many companies... but it is scummy and there are a lot of people out there like me who would just rather not support it. It's not like we have to. The games are not completely exclusive.. we can wait a year. Where's the issue there?

lucidus, BangTail and cerebus23 like this.
  13. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    They keep stealing games from Steam and act like the good guys saving PC gaming.

PC gaming was fine until Epic opened their stupid store. I think I might just boycott it for good.

If it doesn’t come to Steam...it doesn’t exist on PC.

BangTail likes this.
  14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    ......anyway

I play games to play games. I honestly, as a consumer, do not care where it comes from. I care what it costs. Competition is good for everyone. ESPECIALLY gamers. We usually benefit from it. I still don't get why people cry about multiple launchers...there was a time there was no steam and you had 50 game shortcuts on a desktop or taskbar. Same difference. Throw them all in a folder. Done. Doesn't affect the visuals, the gameplay, the story, or the art direction. Don't get why people are complaining about something that doesn't prevent them from purchasing. Only where, which again, is virtual, so you don't even have to leave your keyboard, where you can still complain....about more things, because God forbid the community ever appreciate options, an open platform that prevents any launcher from you not getting content and just....*GASP* enjoy the games? Politics and drama in gaming. I see a lot of energy and attention wasted on some useless crap right here. Sorry.

Any of you have literal stock options in either company? No? Can you still purchase the games you want to play? Yes?
    Then what's the issue?
    Furthermore, why does everyone throw all of the shade at Epic and little at the developers that are making the actual exclusive deals with Epic? Developers don't sign exclusives, Steam still has the game on their store.

15. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    We don't want our games on different clients. I don't know why that's difficult for some to comprehend. If they really want to give us a choice then don't steal games from Steam. I wish every client had every game so we as consumers could pick a client we like. Instead we get this segmented market where we're forced to use a different client for a single game.

BangTail likes this.

16. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm sorry but in a world where 10 year olds are in hospital beds and kids are starving, crying about what your finger clicks on to enjoy your preferred entertainment is too ignorant for me to comprehend, yes, you are correct. I understand exactly what you're saying. I find it extremely sad you find it an issue, is what I'm saying. You're making a big deal where there isn't one. It's a click. You're complaining about a click on a mouse. Think about that.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    That's not really a valid argument anymore. We now have Steam, Origin, UPlay, GOG, Battle.net, Epic, Bethesda, even Twitch and Discord have their own now. And some games you need more than 1 to launch the game. Get over it and enjoy your games.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    double post

19. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I have a few games on Origin, but will likely never purchase another single-player game on it as EA is going for a games-as-a-service, which basically means mutli-player only. I still think Origin is garbage as they haven't added any new features to it for years.
    UPlay is whatever....I'd never buy a game on it, but some of my Steam games require me to launch through UPlay. That doesn't bother me.
    Bethesda's launcher I've yet to use to play a game. If RAGE 2 is exclusive to it even post-launch, then that's fine because it's their own game. They didn't steal it from Steam or another publisher. They are the publisher.
    Epic's strategy is just to buy publishing rights to force people to use their service. We're left with only 2 choices...to buy it on their service or to wait for Steam to eventually get it. Some games might never come to Steam now at this point. I don't care if they make their games exclusive to their own service...I don't expect to see Fortnight on Steam ever.

Think what you want, but I find EGS to be anti-consumer by restricting our choice.

BangTail likes this.
  20. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    What does gaming have to do with 10 year olds in hospital beds? There's also 36.9 million people living with HIV. Off-topic much?