The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    He's more on about the fact that he bought it on Steam and any need for EGS to play the game would lock him out. One, it wouldn't, it is down to him to install EGS, takes less than 2 minutes. Two, it's all covered in EULA. Things can be changed, legally.

2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    EULAs can't sign every right away though and a lot of EULAs won't hold up in court. This has been proven before in the past with real cases. I'm no legal expert so I'm not stating that this specific case is or isn't something against the law though. I want to make it clear that I'm just speculating (and hoping) that this will most likely cause a bigger backlash than that of what Epic has been doing if it does come to be that.. and I'm hoping that Steam would grant me a refund in good faith and because in the end it could spell disaster for a digital distributor if this were to get big. Let's be clear though that this isn't what is happening (yet) so anything anyone is doing here is just speculation.

A lot of what is going on right now in the industry is pushing a lot of boundaries within the law that might end up getting the government involved (think lootboxes and gambling and also this entire video from this thread https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/games-as-a-service-is-fraud.426385/). When we lose access to our libraries it's going to be interesting. My point here is that one way or another all this type of stuff is inevitably going to blow up and force more legislation. The future of gaming just gets darker and darker.. maybe we need good legislation to keep the AAA industry at bay. Screw these big corporations anyways..

Correct... and "One" is still absurd to someone who loathes Epic and refuses to do any sort of business with them. Period. That means anything including purchasing games all the way to simply signing up for their free accounts. 2 minutes doesn't mean squat here to me..

EDIT: Nevermind. Not arguing with some of you guys anymore.. deleted a chunk of upset rant aimed at someone else. This thread needs to just die already. Some of you guys can't be civil and just want to turn this into a constant argument. You know who you are. I've already decided to ignore you before so I'm going to stand by what I said. Rant deleted haha

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    lucidus likes this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, but it's a common statement that I hear among Steam supporters - the idea that their refusal to install the Epic launcher amounts to being locked out. I agree with your sentiment - as I've said before plenty of times, the only ones who are excluded by these exclusivity deals are those who exclude themselves. It's not like installing the launcher is some major violation of consumer rights so it's basically denying yourself access due to your personal preferences (creating your own problems, basically).

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    At the end of the day, you are the one who was ok with the Rocket League 3rd Party EULA on Steam. So... that's that. You agreed with it but now you're upset. That's all on you. Simple as that.

BTW, if you really "loathe" Epic, and refuse to do any business with them.. Why are you playing a game that uses an engine developed by Epic? You know they make money from every UE licensed game, right? You were literally making business with Epic as soon as you bought Rocket League.

And I'm sure your Steam library is full of UE games to top this comedy off.

TheDeeGee likes this.

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

I'll bite and reply to you one last time.. You do realize this Epic stuff just really started recently right? Or are you just going to keep assuming you know my entire history and when/why I don't like Epic? The comedy here is that you can't comprehend simple discussions, even when I went far out of my way to state that I was speculating and I went out of my way to be friendly to you. You still ignored what I said. It is absurd to think that anyone actually reads an EULA and it's absurd that you assume you know what I do or don't do. I at least point out when I'm just speculating and back up what I say with some sort of understanding so I don't look like a daft *** like you..

Simple as that.

Get over it already. I don't like Epic. Sorry that somehow upsets you. Some of us want to have smart discussions without making things personal... don't know why some of you are so committed at trying to start fights here when we've gone out of our way to say we don't want to.

Ignoring you now as well. I won't see any future posts you say. You bring nothing of value to me so nothing was lost ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Darkest, cerebus23 and lucidus like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Lol, someone has a short fuse.

It doesn't matter if you read the EULA or not. It's there though and you agreed to it so you not reading it doesn't stand any ground. ZERO.

I did show you the Rocket League 3rd party EULA directly from Steam but your argument is... "I LOATHE EPIC". Lol, seriously?

Also, swearing? Like, I was just trying to explain to you how you're wrong, with facts and all you lower yourself to is swearing? What are you, 10 years old? It makes me laugh.

I'm over the fact you (or many others) don't like Epic. That's your opinion. Do I like Epic? No. Do I like Steam? No. They're all money grabbing businesses that try to do just that, juice as much money out of their business as possible. Because neither of them is there to be nice. It's straight up cutthroat business.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    EULA is literally a piece of paper that exists to disuade customers from being too demanding. Your relationship to your game and the company you buy it from is governed by laws in your country, not some EULA written by a corporate lawyer.

8. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    So what are you trying to say? If Epic decide to move Rocket League from Steam to EGS, they will. Who will stop them? Nobody.

D3M1G0D likes this.
  9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    He's saying that an EULA doesn't override local laws, Epic has already stated that Rocket League will remain on Steam and I doubt they will remove it, instead they'll most likely make a second game and make it an Epic store exclusive.

cerebus23 likes this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Of course it doesn't. But I doubt you'll find anything in "local laws" that would not allow them to move it to EGS.

D3M1G0D likes this.

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It would depend on where you live, but generally you can make an argument that due to the internal changes of the publisher the product you own is no longer available to you. It doesn't mean that Epic will spend millions on keeping it the way you want, but they might be forced to give you a refund.

Kolt likes this.
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No, you cannot. Changing the store / launcher does not restrict access in any way so this argument wouldn't work (the launcher is free, after all).

As I've said before in my previous post, your refusal to install the Epic launcher does not mean that you are being locked out. You are deliberately excluding yourself, so you cannot make the argument that you are being denied access.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Does the epic Launcher function on Linux natively? I'm actually not sure.. I mean..... Rocket League has native Linux support, so if the epic Launcher doesn't function on Linux I guess that would be a negative to anyone who uses Linux and plays Rocket League and if they were forced to use the epic Launcher to continue playing the game they purchased on the platform of their choice because said platform supports the operating system of their choice.. so.. um.. that could be a problem.

Kolt and Darkest like this.
  14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I disagree, it does change the condition of my usage of the software I paid for and as a result these conditions are restricting to me and I can find them unacceptable and demand a refund. I specifically talk about rocket league here, in case it moves from steam to EGS. I am confident that with this argument I can win probably in entire EU.

Kolt likes this.
  15. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Patches also change the condition of your usage. Do you demand a refund every time a game has a patch that changes certain things within a game?

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Can we just remember how Epic confirmed Rocket League is going no where? It's built around steam services, they would have to rebuild the game's mp functions.

But let's say epic off chance forces a game on egs only, with no Linux support. Linux share is what, 1% of gamers on PC if that? It's your choice on what OS you use, not any publisher or developer. So it's not restricting if you're using an OS by your choice that doesn't support the software.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't, but I'm confident that I can legally want a refund because of patch.

Again EULA or ToS are just a piece of paper that isn't legally binding. What if someone wrote some obscene thing into it, that i.e. you agree to having your lips sewn to someone else's butthole and you just agreed to it without reading ? Do you thing that such thing is legally binding ?

keithsalinas, cerebus23 and Kolt like this.
  18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As has been stated, Epic said there are no immediate plans to switch stores (and even if they do, Steam users will most likely still be able to play on Steam). Even if they change this down the road and require the installation of the Epic launcher, it is not an onerous or ridiculous requirement (your personal dislike of the software doesn't change this).

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Wonder if EGS players will be able to play with Steam players.

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Your personal opinion that it isn't an "onerous or ridiculous requirement" doesn't really change the reality that it is a significant change to the product you have. You need to install a third party program where you have to provide your personal information. Simply on that note, I can't imagine more intrusive thing that can happen in the virtual world.

Now again, no one would probably sue them just to get a refund and EGS (and many others) bank on that, it doesn't however mean that the customers are just a herd of cows to be milked any way the companies want. You as a customer have huge amount of rights, you just don't have as much money to enforce them. However defending publishers at the expense of your own rights is probably the most senseless thing I have read the entire month.

lucidus and Kolt like this.