The Future of Steam and other launchers

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by angelgraves13, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Does EGS pose a risk to Steam?

1. Yes... It's about time Steam had competition.

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. No... Steam or die!

28 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Don't care... It's all fun and games.

21 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Don't care... I'll go with whoever's left standing.

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As much as i rant against Steam and Valve, i'm no different. I hesitated at the thought of getting RE7 on the Windows Store, not because i have an issue with it as i don't, but because i have every other RE game on Steam.
    Even though getting it on Steam meant (at the time) spending twice as much and getting a game i could only play on the PC, while the Windows Store game was a play anywhere title.
    I had a similar issue with AC:Origins, when i got frustrated that no key selling sites had the Steam version, and i'm a big believer that getting Ubisoft games on Steam is stupid.

Let's look at from a hardware point of view.
    Steam is Nvidia for Nvidia fans, even if we see similar performance for the same price or even cheaper, the grass isn't greener, it's better the devil you know.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm the same way - I mostly use launchers to buy, install and launch games. I care very little about the features and rarely use any of them, although this isn't to say that I don't value them.

The feature that I most value about Steam is the user reviews, although I typically only look at the average scores. They can provide some quick info on the game and how others think of it, and I use that in conjunction with metacritic and other review sites. Cloud saves are also nice, although I also do my own backups as I have a ton of cloud space due to my Office 365 subscription. I tried using the forums but found them to be full of fanboys and idiots, although there is some good info there as well (just need to wade through all the BS first). Then there are things like trading cards, which I actively despise.

I basically use the Epic launcher like I use Origin or Uplay - to buy and play games, and nothing else. This is what I found most surprising about this whole saga - we've had different launchers with their own exclusives for years, and yet people act as if the EGS brought "console exclusivity" to the PC. As far as I can see, the only different is that the EGS features third-party exclusives (and timed exclusives at that), but nothing has fundamentally changed in the PC gaming scene. This isn't like XBONE vs PS4 kind of exclusivity, where you need to purchase hardware and buy into the ecosystem - anyone can download Steam and the Epic launcher for free and use them both at the same time. I mean, if all exclusives were this simple then I'd bet most PC gamers would have signed up a long time ago - play PS4 or XBONE games on your PC by downloading a free launcher? Sign me up!

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Those responses there are really sad. Working 3 years on a game, then hearing the 4chan PC community saying they have pirated anyways and add demands as well to it , that is the PC platform for you.
    Dev's should move to console only , at least it will be harder to pirate and they will get more love from the community and Sony or Microsoft.
    No review bombing, petitions, demands,pirating, entitlements.

A open platform sounds good, but when there is no supervision on all of it, things become what we have now.

There is a minority of people which is smart enough to stand above all that and just avoid the store and not pirate or choose the store and enjoy the game for whatever personal reason.
    Sweeney is changing his stance every hour and trying to make steam look bad.
    Vvalve is deeply in a cave , no response at all besides sneaky messages at the game store page, making sure people will riot. review bombing is still going on as well.
    and there are the (gamers) who follow others like sheep and blabber all kind of nonsense without thinking what kind of consequences it will have.

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    9 holy crap

This is basically a lesson on how not to conduct business as an independent developer.

If you want some quick cash and fast trip down the road of losing consumer trust, then feel free to definitely take the cash upfront from Epic for a year’s worth of exclusivity.

The thing is, you lose all integrity to argue and complain about piracy, backlash, or poor sales.

In real life, there are no shortcuts. Every action has a reaction, every choice has a cost, and some of those costs come with severe consequences.

If you do not want to face those consequences then do not make the choice that leads you down the path toward tumult and ruination.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...s-store-leading-dev-to-twitter-tantrum/82979/

hmm. no they do not deserve to be mocked over a business decision that backfired on such an imaginable scale after all that hard work but they do need to remain somewhat humble and say well maybe we should have been wary before signing on the dotted line with Epic concerning the backlash and how it would directly effect the games sales through as there is never any smoke without a little fire.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Well Epic paid for the exclusivity so I guess if it doesn't sell very well those developers still made lots of money.

*Shrugs*

If the developers are smart they will spend the year perfecting the game before it is properly released on other platforms.

I don't know..

But 9 copies.... that's crazy.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This didn't go well for the people that made Satisfactory.
    9 copies is a disaster, even for an idie studio.
    I wonder what they will do if they can't put their game on other platforms for a year.
    Could this be the end of their studio?

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Epic paid them so why shed any tears? Screw 'em.

9. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    the more i read on this the more i think this is a massive troll on the developers part I mean they did make Goat Simulator and all the twitter crap just seems like fake drama to bring more attention to the game which it is now gettin. how do you sell 9 copies yet have 20k on your discord??? makes no sense and seems more to be attempting to give the anti EGS movement a hollow win than anythin else.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If they were doing well, they wouldn't need to be this pathetic on twitter.

Kolt likes this.

11. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i dont know there is something severly fishy about the whole thing but then my mind is a black hole of mass conspiracy lol

12. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Hmmm... Dev sells out, banks future sales in advance and complains that no one bought their wares ... that's like a lottery winner complaining he got no paycheck for the work he put in to come up with the cash to buy the lottery ticket in the first place...

Pure narcissism...

Edit... if someone was actually really BUSINESS SMART, they make some shovelware grade game, hype it up and try to get EGS Exclusive, get paid up front and dump the junk game onto EGS. Do it a few times and just retire, screw the actual sales.

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

Exactly my feelings here. They got what they wanted in the end.

I for one hope this is all true. I don't ever want hard work to go unnoticed, but surely the developers/publishers knew something like this might happen. They took a chance for the chunk of cash and now they are reaping what they sow. Too bad. I for one take this as good news and hope that companies steer away from EGS.

If this game was on Steam, Uplay, GoG, or Origin I would have bought it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. Stone Gargoyle

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    [​IMG]

as i suspected now they have all the news sites talking about the game i guess that is mission accomplished.

KissSh0t and Kolt like this.
  15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

This was really interesting to wake up to. I'm really curious if this is all true now. Twitter is too much of a mess to wade through. /grabs popcorn and waits

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
  17. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nicely played, they no doubt knew lots of anti EGS people would share it everywhere.

They should have went with a number alot bigger than 9, but obvious or not people fell for it.

18. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    ugh I went through and read some of the Twitter post from the official Satisfactory posts.. that company Coffee Stain and their PR guy "Jace" are just complete tools and have some Pritchford level PR skills. Either way you look at it.. whether you are or aren't for EGS.. it's some really bad PR to curse out your users and act like smug assholes when you represent a company. After reading their twitter posts I personally want nothing to do with their company and that Jace fool even after ignoring the EGS issue. We are really at the age where companies (and even our political leaders) don't give a crap about what they say anymore..

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That would have been really surprising if it was true. @Stone Gargoyle said it as much, there was something very fishy about the whole thing. Well, it was interesting PR at least.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, 900 copies would have been low enough to be bad but believable.

Maybe people would have been less likely to laugh and share though.